Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: Team USA

NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Team USA

Eating 10,000 calories in a day certainly isn't impossible. I've done it before when I was trying to bulk up for basketball. He definately isn't swimming 5 miles per day at the Olympics. I've yet to see any reports of anybody getting busted for performance enhancing drugs at these games. I guess Rubio would have to be on steroids too then. How else could a 17 year old kid come in and contribute

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by b.jerk
    If you allow one team to grab their man with their open hand at every play and not the other than you're giving a significant advantage that effects the outcomes of games. If Tim Donaghy or the nba company men didn't know this than this wouldn't happen every year in the nba.
    Please explain how it was that it was the USA in foul trouble and Spain wasn't. That means they were calling fouls on the US and not Spain.

Here's a nice quote from an article

[QUOTE]So exhausted were the referees with chasing the Americans up and down the floor, one Team USA veteran wondered whether the refs were blowing whistles on needless calls against both teams

I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

[QUOTE=dd24]So exhausted were the referees with chasing the Americans up and down the floor, one Team USA veteran wondered whether the refs were blowing whistles on needless calls against both teams

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Eating 10,000 calories in a day certainly isn't impossible. I've done it before when I was trying to bulk up for basketball. He definately isn't swimming 5 miles per day at the Olympics. I've yet to see any reports of anybody getting busted for performance enhancing drugs at these games. I guess Rubio would have to be on steroids too then. How else could a 17 year old kid come in and contribute
    You ate the same as 15 meals in one day, day after day.

NBA lottery pick

You ate the same as 15 meals in one day, day after day.
    No you go to the store and get the shake stuff. You can drink a single shake and get about 3000 calories into your system. But yes, I think people tend to eat things they like, so some of the stuff I ate was the same. Chicken and Fish are big sources of protein. I think a lot of people would do the same thing if they were trying to take in a lot of calories (good ones) and protein.

No you go to the store and get the shake stuff. You can drink a single shake and get about 3000 calories into your system. But yes, I think people tend to eat things they like, so some of the stuff I ate was the same. Chicken and Fish are big sources of protein. I think a lot of people would do the same thing if they were trying to take in a lot of calories (good ones) and protein.
    Big mac is about 540 calories, I find anyone eating the equivilant of 18 1/2 big macs per day dubious but I'm not a GNC guy.

NBA lottery pick

Sounds like a puff piece.
    LMAO!!! In all honesty, I thought the game was called in Spains favor. I had no reason to say anything because the USA won by a large margin. It would have made the americans look "arrogant" as you guys say. I can't find the final foul count of the game, but I am certain the begining of it was all in Spains favor and I would have to believe that Spain went to the line their fair share. Kobe, Kidd, and Howard were in foul trouble in the 1st quarter. Spain got more than it's fair share of calls. It's irrelevant anyway. They could have a half a dozen more. The most that would be is a 12-15 point turnaround in which case America still wins. You're crying over spilled milk.......... Get over it. USA won a fair basketball game. Also it's a game that is meaningless as both teams have made it to the games that actually count. We all know anything can happen in a 1 and done scenario. All it takes is for one team to go cold for a game and they are out.

NBA lottery pick

Big mac is about 540 calories, I find anyone eating the equivilant of 18 1/2 big macs per day dubious but I'm not a GNC guy.
    Well if you go to GNC you would see there are a number of shake mixes that will give you 2000 to 3000 calories per shake. If you were to take one or two of those per day you can see how easy it is to get to 10,000 calories. Many athletes take in more than the 2000 or 3000 calories per day because they are constantly working out and burning calories. They need to increase their intake.

Well if you go to GNC you would see there are a number of shake mixes that will give you 2000 to 3000 calories per shake. If you were to take one or two of those per day you can see how easy it is to get to 10,000 calories. Many athletes take in more than the 2000 or 3000 calories per day because they are constantly working out and burning calories. They need to increase their intake.
    I'll take your word for it but it isn't a healthy lifestyle. I remember being around college football players and just shaking my head what those guys did to their body without being paid for it.

NBA lottery pick

If you're burning the calories off then it can be healthy. It also depends on a persons metabolism. It's unhealthy if you take in those calories and then just sit on the couch and watch the Olympics. That's where the obesity problem happens in the world.

Healthy would be a 30 minute aerobic session 2-3 times a weeks. Big time sports is more about dedication than being healthy most doctors would consider the training of big time athletes unhealthy.

NBA lottery pick

Healthy would be a 30 minute aerobic session 2-3 times a weeks. Big time sports is more about dedication than being healthy most doctors would consider the training of big time athletes unhealthy.
    I agree that is healthy for a normal person. An athlete that trains all day long is going to burn more calories and they have more muscle mass to support and try to build upon. Most doctors would consider big time athletes extremely healthy, especially since that is one of the #1 priorities of their careers. World records are getting broken in record numbers because of the science of sports and health. It's a double edged sword. You need to know the sport you play without even thinking about it. You also need the athletic ability to do it and that's where the training and health part comes in.

Saw a basketball once

It's interesting how recent foul troubles have seemed to have worked in Team USA's favor in terms of who should get more time, and who should get less. I've thought from the beginning that, given his current level of play and the alternatives, any time given to Kidd is an absurd waste of time.

Cp3's was runner-up MVP, his assist to turnover ratio is the best of all time, and he proved himself on the NBA's biggest stage (not to mention his impressive domination over Kidd in the first round), yet I was surprised to find that there were many people who felt Kidd should continue to get valuable minutes. Kobe was one of the players with less playing time than usual because of foul trouble in the last game against Spain, and despite the fact Team USA clearly did great with Kobe on the bench, I'm sure the opinions I'm about to express aren't going to fly well because of how renowned Kobe is worldwide by fans and media alike as the "best player on the planet".

I've always found that it's wise to be subtle when criticizing Kobe, but is it right for Kobe to get more praise than criticism for his contributions with Team USA? He is doing a good job on defense, but so is Wade and Lebron, however out of those 3 only Kobe can be said to not get back on his man quick enough and leak out for the break too much. Yet he gets praised for taking a back seat offensively and focusing on defense, it's true he only scores 12 points a game, but is he really taking a back seat when he leads the team in attempted shots and turnovers?

Now don't get me wrong, I've always been a fan of Kobe, but as my basketball knowledge grew so did my regard for the importance of efficiency. In my personal opinion Kobe is overrated in the sense that he is compared to the likes of Jordan, Kobe is good but not that good, he has never been very efficient and is somehow getting considerably worse already at age 28 (notably he was 32-106 behind the arc in the playoffs, and currently he's 5-24 in the last 4 FIBA games).

I think Lebron is the "best player on the planet" now judging mostly on recent performances, and if Wade solidifies his current level of play with a stellar season he should be right up there with Lebron, but wait there's more. I think Cp3 is going to further improve next season and win the MVP, then he's going to blow up in the playoffs with amazing clutch performances leading the Hornets to their first ever championship, putting Cp3 right up there with Lebron and Wade as the top 3 players on the planet.

Saw a basketball once

I'm sure most arguments suggesting Kobe is still the "best player on the planet" opposed to Lebron would consist of the fact Kobe has the better credentials, the "MVP", the "All NBA" and "Defensive Team" selections. I say put all that aside because they shouldn't mean as much as people think they do when it comes to assessing individual talent, for starters Kobe would have never won a championship either if he was surrounded with the same talent Lebron has had. I say watch their recent performances and judge them from that, and judging from what I have seen during the FIBA games, Lebron is easily the better player of the 2. Another argument which could be made is that Kobe is the better defender, I've watched and agree Kobe is a great stopper when he's focused, but Lebron is a good stopper too. Not only is Lebron a good defender, he is more versatile in the sense that he can defend players who would be too big and too strong for Kobe to guard, not to mention Lebron gets more blocks, boards, and steals. I think it's quite reasonable and safe to say Lebron is now the best basketball player on the planet.

Saw a basketball once

I'm sure you do concede my general point, but I'd just elaborate a little more anyway. Having a high PER is something I think that can weigh highly in one's scales in terms of measuring their greatness, but there are immeasurable factors weigh in significance such as a sub par defender who gets a lot of steals. Lets say that sub par defender is Iverson. One would have to slightly tip the scales against Iverson's favor because his amount of steals do not render the truth behind his overall defensive quality, or lack there of. Battier is an example of a player who's stats do not render the truth to his overall defensive quality either, but in his case you would have to tip the scales in his favor because he is in fact a very good defender.

How much the scales are to be tipped are to be tipped based on these immeasurable factors is hard to say, I think it falls under common sense assuming one has decent basketball knowledge. Amare gets more blocks than Bosh but I think Bosh is the better defender, however I still see Amare as the better power forward because the fact Bosh is a better defender doesn't tip his scales enough to outweigh Amare's PER.

I think that should clear things up a bit. So based on the way I judge who is the best player of recent times, Lebron is the best player in the world. By the end of next season I'm confident Wade and Cp3 will be right behind Lebron as one of the top 3 basketball players on the planet.