Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #31
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Yahoo Sports: Mavs and Timberwolves in serious KG Trade talks

With the Brewer idea, yea initially they're depleted. But we can still go out and get a Matt Barnes or Mike Pietrus or Deshawn Stevenson in free agency. We'd need a backup point so a Jason Hart, Brevin Knight, or Will Conroy would allow us to waive Jose Juan Barea and open up a roster spot for more of the type of players I like. In fact, if we're getting KG I bet Payton would stay for another yr at the minimum to have one last run at it

Put my GM on a plane to France and Africa and have him go find Amara Sy from Battlegrounds a few yrs back.

James Singleton is another guy who might be available assuming the Clippers don't pick up his option, and cheap.

I need Ruben Patterson or Ricky Davis on this team too somehow and if I still have on last roster spot, a Lonnell Taylor, Dantah Jones, Andre Emmitt type.

And I'm letting Stackhouse, Croshere, and Devean George walk and if DJ doesn't have his athleticism back he's gone as well. If he does, he's starting.

So right now I think I'm at

Jason Terry/Jason Hart/Will Conroy
Matt Barnes/Corey Brewer/Reyshawn Terry/Amara Sy
Kevin Garnett/James Singleton/Dominique McGuire
Dirk Nowitzki/Jermareo Davidson (because I drafted him and not Fazekas at 34)
DJ Mbenga/Erick Dampier

I'd go to war with that team. If nothing else, I'd enjoy watching them more than the team the Mavs have now.

I still like my Noah idea better though.

Josh is an all star, but I've obviously soured on him. He's just a bonehead. I've seen it too many times at the ends of games. Of course there's the infamous timeout call when we didn't have one in the finals (he also did that at Wake Forest by the way, and in high school) but he also does stuff like he'll let a guy drive by him 50ft away from the hoop and score when we had a foul to give, or give the foul while the guys shooting, or foul on purpose on the perimeter when we are in the penalty, or like in the Minny game when we were up 4 and he got a defensive rebound and threw it in the air to the other end thinking time would expire while the ball was in the air but Foye actually had enough time to chase it down, come back to the frontcourt and hit a 3.

Last edited by DatZNasty : 06-30-2007 at 02:24 PM.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #32
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Jason Terry/Jason Hart/Will Conroy
Matt Barnes/Corey Brewer/Reyshawn Terry/Amara Sy
Kevin Garnett/James Singleton/Dominique McGuire
Dirk Nowitzki/Jermareo Davidson (because I drafted him and not Fazekas at 34)
DJ Mbenga/Erick Dampier

WTF? Why in the hell would you want DJ starting if Dampier is still on the team? In fact, why not just put Garnett at C?

Terry
Barnes
Singlton
Dirk
KG

that would be a much better starting 5.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #33
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

also, this is from David Lord at Dallasbasketball.com

Quote:
KG And $$
Delayed Time Frame Is Mavs' Plus
By David Lord -- Dallasbasketball.com

Will the Mavs be the last franchise standing in the competition to get Garnett? As some in the mainstream media begin to acknowledge the veracity of DB.com's ahead-of-the-curve KG-to-Dallas-talks scoop, the calendar comes into play. And the closer we get to July 1, the more it becomes possible that the Mavs could win the prize.

If Kevin Garnett is actually traded this summer (and reportedly the Minnesota owner has told his guys to get it done), there are financial and cap repercussions that may be significantly altering their options. They center around KG's trade bonus (commonly called a "trade kicker") which would be triggered if he is traded. Athough he can waive it, it's a virtual certainty that it will be paid when the trade occurs in light of his desire not to be traded.

THE FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Financially, assuming the kicker amount is the max 15%, the bonus would be $6.75M and would be paid immediately to KG by someone. DB.com is told it is indeed $6/5 mil.) Who pays? Either team can pay (this is not subject to the $3M cash restriction in trades).

That, all by itself, could be a big issue in all the rollercoaster trade discussions we've watched occur. Sarver (the Phoenix owner) has never been known to have much of a stomach for dispensing cash, with his front office perennially living under a mandate to avoid tax at all costs. Would he swallow a $6.75M bonus, on top of a salary exceeding $20M per year? We doubt it. When we heard Steve Kerr say the Suns were looking at how to make a KG deal work FINANCIALLY, finding a way to deal with that bonus may have been a major part of their struggle to make a deal work.

If a team trading for KG has to tell the T-wolves to pay the bonus, they'd better have a super-strong talent package to offer. Added talent, in fact.

But if the other team will swallow the bonus themselves? Since there are so few teams with the willingness to make that financial commitment, one who will do so may go shooting up the list for Minnesota. When Mark Cuban indicated that the money doesn't scare him as we reported, was that a veiled message to the competition that he is willing to do what Minnesota wants (but others won't) regarding the bonus? Did Minny owner Taylor take off for China with Cuban's offer in his pocket and the instructions that if someone else won't pay the bonus, we'll just send KG to Dallas? It's very possible.

CAP AND TAX ISSUES

Besides the payment of the bonus itself, there are also significant cap implications arising from it. At this point during the 2006-07 season (which officially ends June 30), the cap number for KG if traded (assuming a full 15% bonus is paid) would be as follows:

2006-07 ..... $24.375M cap hit
2007-08 ..... $25.375M cap hit
2008-09 ..... $23M cap hit

That $24.375M cap number is huge to match. And it will be hard to avoid tax next season with the KG carrying a $25.375M cap charge.

But what if the trade happens after June 30? Things change. In fact, they change so much that the money issues dominate the deal probably to the exclusion of everything else. On a deal this summer from July 1 onward, here's how the trade matching and cap numbers look:

2007-08 ..... $28.75M
2008-09 ..... $23M

Can you even do a deal if you are a team wanting KG but (a) you have to pay a $6.75M bonus, (b) you have to find a way to avoid tax with a cap hit on KG of $28.75M, (c) you have to send away enough salary to match $28.75M within 25% [almost $23M], and (d) you still need a team around KG? The bigger the numbers get, the more other teams get scared off or just can't play in the game. Adding another $4.375M to the amount to match and to the TAXABLE cap hit in 2007-08 can make the price prohibitive for almost all.

No wonder there are so many "no thanks'' stories being reported as the draft is minutes away from beginning.

Among the mainstream media, everybody is saying that the KG thing will happen later rather than sooner. And some LA papers are starting to carefully include Dallas as a Kg suitor. Smart boys. Meanwhile, the Dallas Morning News, obliged to scoff at our story earlier this week, is now "forgetting it'' it terms of sketicism. Our pal David Moore was careful to include Dallas as a KG contender in his column today. He hid it down in his skillionth paragraph, but it's in there. In black-and-white. Just in case.

One owner has made it clear to Minny (and to DB.com) that he isn't scared of the money. The Mavs - who need to include sign-and-trade expirings in the deal to match the salary - can't actually make such a deal until July. But at that point, the money gets bigger and starts to drive the competition away. Will the Mavs be the last franchise standing in July, in the competition to get Garnett?

519pm June 28 2007

link

Quote:
1. There is a business moratorium at the start of the season (which begins July 1) to allow the league time to calculate the cap, tax, MLE, and so on. Teams can't sign players without those numbers.

2. League reopens on July 11.

3. I think a KG deal happens in July. The longer it drags out, the harder it is for teams who have to come up with the astonishing sum of $23M in contracts merely to match KG and make the trade legal. That will take multiple players, and if you trade a 4-for-1 (for example) you want to be able to replenish your roster as early as possible in free agency before everyone is gone.

4. What I know: KG is being shopped, the Mavs are in the mix, and money is not a problem with Dallas. I also know how the numbers would work in the deal, and it's easy to deduce what a MAJOR obstacle that presents to the competition.

The big issue about tonight: the numbers go up considerably (by about 20%!) on July 1.

The rest of what I am saying is my analysis, based on the above factors. (I've tried to make that clear.) In other words, no one has said "If we get to July 1, the Mavs will get KG" and I'm not willing to even surmise that much.

But I think the competition gets very thin and the odds go up considerably for Dallas, at that point. I do keep an eye on which teams are spenders and which are scared of spending,

I think Minnesota - once they trade KG - would just prefer to have a freed up cap situation with expirings and possible long term keepers, rather than a pile of contracts - and Dallas can create expirings like no one else. Otherwise, you have to really give Minn pieces they want to build around. Dallas will pay the kicker, and who else will. Dallas doesnt care about tax consequences, unlike the others. I think the more this becomes a money deal, the better the odds here.

That's why I believe the odds get real good for Dallas in another 7 hours.

link
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #34
KareemsGoggles
Banned

KareemsGoggles has an OK reputation so far

1 KG
+
1 Dirk
= 0 Finishers.
KareemsGoggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #35
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemsGoggles
1 KG
+
1 Dirk
= 0 Finishers.

MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #36
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
1 KG
+
1 Dirk
= 0 Finishers.

Any yet they'll win a championship. Imagine that.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #37
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
1 KG
+
1 Dirk
= 0 Finishers.
You got some damn depth there.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:33 PM   #38
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
WTF? Why in the hell would you want DJ starting if Dampier is still on the team? In fact, why not just put Garnett at C?

Terry
Barnes
Singlton
Dirk
KG

that would be a much better starting 5.
It wouldn't matter, we'd work the kinks of the starting lineup out in preseason, exhibition, and early and find out what works best.

I'd be a great GM, revolutionize the sport. I'd try some ***** like calling teams and trying to trade coaches and even call an E.C team like New Jersey and try to trade cities so we could get in the East. Then we'd really dominate.

If seeing KG and Dirk and whoever the top FA is we can get this summer doesn't attract more FA's to come, I do like teams do all the time and give them a "wink wink" deal where we sign them to the minimum now just until we can get their bird rights and pay them for real.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:37 PM   #39
YaoMacBat11
Decent playground baller

YaoMacBat11 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane
true, im sure dallas would get a 3rd team involved

Yeah Let houston get in on this trade, we can send Alston, Sura expiring, and Head for JAson Terry ;)
YaoMacBat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: