Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Are there any modern soul/r&b artists who make songs not about love? If so, who?

My local urban radio stations have had a constant rotation for the past five years of: Lil Wayne, Jay-z, Drake, TI, Rick Ross, Usher, Trey Songz, Rihanna, and Chris Brown.

As a result I don't really know what's out there.

I love the smooth sound of R&B...like Trey Songz, Neyo, Music Soulchild, etc. But I was hoping to find some artists like that who make different type of songs too and not just love songs.

So basically: Does anyone have the sonical sound of soul/r & b but with different lyrical content?

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Default Re: Are there any modern soul/r&b artists who make songs not about love? If so, who?

R&b without love? That's like the Lakers without Kobe... the packers without Rodgers.

Default Re: Are there any modern soul/r&b artists who make songs not about love? If so, who?

If it's a female, the main other kind of song you're gonna find besides love/relationship stuff is empowerment songs (Alicia Keys - Girl on Fire, pretty much anything from India Arie and the like)

If it's a guy then it's pretty much all gonna be about women in some way. Whether it's loving em, f*ckin em or dancing with em.

You're not going to find many R&B tracks that don't talk about love, sex, and relationships.

Few R&B artists eschew the subject altogether, but some deal with other themes: Frank Ocean, Janelle Monae and The Weeknd tell stories and paint cinematographic, quasi sci-fi universes. Erykah Badu and Me'Shell Ndegeocello deal with a wide variety of themes as well, such as politics and religion (and in Me'Shell's case, it's not just the usual gospel too, it's much more complex than that). Raheem DeVaughn will occasionally sing about war, though he's no Marvin Gaye, and Raphael Saadiq will try a Stevie Wonder socially conscious track every once in a while. That's all I can think of at the moment among modern ones, but I'm sure there's plenty more...
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 11-07-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Few R&B artists eschew the subject altogether, but some deal with other themes: Frank Ocean, Janelle Monae and The Weeknd tell stories and paint cinematographic, quasi sci-fi universes. Erykah Badu and Me'Shell Ndegeocello deal with a wide variety of themes as well, such as politics and religion (and in Me'Shell's case, it's not just the usual gospel too, it's much more complex than that). Raheem DeVaughn will occasionally sing about war, though he's no Marvin Gaye, and Raphael Saadiq will try a Stevie Wonder socially conscious track every once in a while. That's all I can think of at the moment among modern ones, but I'm sure there's plenty more...
    Nice thanks.