Page 1 of 22 123411 ... LastLast

Default Does anyone actually think Rose deserved the MVP over Howard in '11?

Like legitimately?

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Does anyone actually think Rose deserved the MVP over Howard in '11?

so this is the origin of ur saltiness

**** d rose

Default Re: Does anyone actually think Rose deserved the MVP over Howard in '11?

Go outside

Absolutely. Noah, and Boozer were inconsistent ... missed a lot of the season. Derrick led that team to 62 wins. Something they had absolutely no business of achieving given the talent on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Absolutely. Noah, and Boozer were inconsistent ... missed a lot of the season. Derrick led that team to 62 wins. Something they had absolutely no business of achieving given the talent on that team.
    The defense did. Froze didn't lead anyone anywhere. This was especially obvious in the playoffs when he sucked dick.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Rose played great defense, and totally carried the offense. Won many games with inherent feel for the game, and takeover ability. Dominated against elite teams, and crushed his positional competition in head to heads.
    kek

Rose deserved the MVP over Howard more than the dirt eating man's Andrei Kirilenko deserved the 4th overall selection.

Rose absolutely deserved the MVP over Howard. Without question.

I thought Dwight was better and more valuable to his team than Rose, but due to the unwritten rules of the MVP award, the Magic's team record ultimately cost him. Surprised he got enough recognition to get 2nd place over Lebron though.

Saw a basketball once

BY GAWD of course he did he was tougher than shoe leather that year.

7-time NBA All-Star

Never thought it myself. I like Rose, he completes those Bulls and gives them desperately needed offense, but I personally don't think a point guard like him has the same impact as a pretty dominant two-way center who is also an elite rebounder like 2011 Dwight. And what I mean by that is Rose is a high scorer, but not as good as the true first-tier scorers like Durant, Lebron, Melo. Dirk or healthy Kobe, and a good playmaker, but not as good as the first-tier playmakers like CP3, Phoenix Nash or Utah. I view him as a smarter version of Westbrook who is a better playmaker/point guard. Though Westbrook actually reminds me A LOT of early 2000s Steve Francis, except in a situation and era that's more suited to that type of game.

Regardless, Dwight was a beast in 2011 and really had to lead, even carry Orlando at both ends because even offensively, his cast deteriorated and we know Van Gundy's defensive system revolved around Dwight's interior dominance, activity and intimidation, and that was why Orlando was an elite defense. Orlando was also a decent offensive team without a legit 2nd option who consistently got their own shot around Dwight and pretty much just a revolving door of streaky 3 point shooters. I really liked what I saw from Dwight that year, far more than in any other year. He did a much better job avoiding foul trouble after they traded Gortat, and in addition to the points he'd get from being active off lobs, high screen/rolls with Turkoglu or Nelson, running the floor and offensive boards, his post game was also looking good, consistent and effective since he'd do a good job getting position and sealing his man, often using a screen/roll to get position in the lane or running the floor for position and go up with the quick baby hook off the glass, ala early 00's Shaq, but he'd do it with either hand, his footwork looked good, he'd show some spin moves, running hooks with either hand in the lane and he was even stepping out to 12 feet for a bank shot often enough that it wasn't surprising when he'd make one.

I noted Dwight's improvement in the post throughout that season, and just for context, some were trying to argue Bynum was better in 2012 based on Bynum supposedly being better in the post, however, even in that season, Dwight's post up stats were as good, if not better than Bynum's, and Dwight was better in the post in 2011 than he was in 2012. I never bought Rose as having a greater impact based on the 10 extra wins either. The Bulls 2 greatest strengths were their dominant defense and rebounding, areas they were better than Orlando or any other team in despite Dwight being dominant in those areas, while Rose as a point guard clearly couldn't do the same things defensively or on the boards. And I don't believe the difference offensively was enough to make up for that since Dwight was pretty good himself averaging 23/14 on 59% shooting, giving Orlando a consistent low post threat and an interior force who got teams into foul trouble while carrying them to a decent offense, and Dwight was looking pretty dominant at that end midseason when he averaged 26/15 in January and February, was having huge games, rarely any down games, and that's 1/3 of the season.

I think it's more of a credit to how good Dwight was that year than a knock on Rose. Rose is a much easier guy to like personally, but Dwight was the better player, imo. The biggest complaint I had about Dwight's game in 2011 was passing out of doubles and limiting turnovers, and of course, I'd have liked to see him 65-70% from the line, but he was at least around 60% so he wasn't "hack-a-Dwight" bad as we saw in 2012 and 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Like legitimately?

The MF'ers who voted for him.

Nope he was exposed by Miami in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing
    Nope he was exposed by Miami in the playoffs.
    Playoffs included in MVP criteria is news to me...

Led a team with a very good record.

Recorded very good stats.

Voted by analysts, online votes, coaches and the like.

Met all the criteria of a deserved MVP winner. Why does he not deserve it?

As bullshit as the MVP criteria is, it doesn't mean rose didn't meet the criteria...