Default Question about Cellphones

So I'm going to buy a Samsung Galaxy s3 that is unlocked for international use. I found some pretty good cheap ones on Ebay , I have read about these "GSM" phones and I'm pretty sure they would work if I put in a SIM card from another country , but If the phone says At&t on the back for example does that still mean its GSM unlocked and can work around the world? Example photo

Default Re: Question about Cellphones

Quote Originally Posted by waseem780
    So I'm going to buy a Samsung Galaxy s3 that is unlocked for international use. I found some pretty good cheap ones on Ebay , I have read about these "GSM" phones and I'm pretty sure they would work if I put in a SIM card from another country , but If the phone says At&t on the back for example does that still mean its GSM unlocked and can work around the world? Example photo
    if it is unlocked it will work on other gsm networks around the world. if it says att, it means it was locked to att, however, it is very easy to unlock a samsung phone to use anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    if it is unlocked it will work on other gsm networks around the world. if it says att, it means it was locked to att, however, it is very easy to unlock a samsung phone to use anywhere.
    How do you unlock it then? How much money would it cost?

Quote Originally Posted by waseem780
    How do you unlock it then? How much money would it cost?
    you can do it yourself for free. took me about 5 min

I have worked with cell phones for almost 40 years now, it can't be done. Rezznor is a liar.

NBA Superstar

While on the topic of cell phones, the battery to my out-dated phone is dying. Batteries & More sells new batteries for $30. But I also see batteries on Amazon for $5. I'm assuming the latter batteries are used, yes? It says non-retail packaging, but I don't exactly know what that means beyond the packaging situation itself. What's the best or most trusted route for picking up a new battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    While on the topic of cell phones, the battery to my out-dated phone is dying. Batteries & More sells new batteries for $30. But I also see batteries on Amazon for $5. I'm assuming the latter batteries are used, yes? What's the best or most trusted route for picking up a new battery?
    The best bet is to leave your old battery in the sun for a full day. Fixes charge issues right up

NBA Superstar

i'm in the process of getting a new phone too. i was going to maybe get a unlocked phone from ebay and find a carrier but a tmobile sales person said you got to be careful with the ebay phones since some people selling them take out the original components and replace them with generic stuff that you won't be able to get service with or something to that effect.

i don't know how true that is but it scared me enough to forgo that route and looking into just paying them $29/month for 2 years for a nice new one from tmobile(galaxy note 3 price i think). buying from independent sellers always scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzuki
    i'm in the process of getting a new phone too. i was going to maybe get a unlocked phone from ebay and find a carrier but a tmobile sales person said you got to be careful with the ebay phones since some people selling them take out the original components and replace them with generic stuff that you won't be able to get service with or something to that effect.

i don't know how true that is but it scared me enough to forgo that route and looking into just paying them $29/month for 2 years for a nice new one from tmobile(galaxy note 3 price i think). buying from independent sellers always scares me.
    Just don't buy from Africans (not black or African Americans, REAL African mofos, Nigeria and shit) or teenage males.