Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

Default Re: 1988: Bird outplaying Jordan the ENTIRE season..the worst an MVP has been disgraced?

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    mostly because of what happened in 1987 spilled into 1988. look @ the 3 games i quoted. bird and the celtics rocked jordan's bulls.

if i had to start the thread over, i wouldnt have even added 1987 into this discussion. its merely a point of reference.

again, look at the H2H games i posted from 1988. bird completely outplayed jordan in them (better stats/his team won).
    We would have to see the stats in all the games not just some in order to fairly judge the MVP voting.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: 1988: Bird outplaying Jordan the ENTIRE season..the worst an MVP has been disgraced?

mostly because of what happened in 1987 spilled into 1988. look @ the 3 games i quoted. bird and the celtics rocked jordan's bulls.

if i had to start the thread over, i wouldnt have even added 1987 into this discussion. its merely a point of reference.

again, look at the H2H games i posted from 1988. bird completely outplayed jordan in them (better stats/his team won).
    Bro Mj didn't win MVP in 87 retard. The whole promise of your thread makes no sense. They were 3-3 in 88. Bro stop your a idiot.

Banned

If this thread isn't proof that we need negs back... I don't know what it will take

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

This is why Lebron stans can't be taken seriously. Retarded.

You include 87, yeah ok cause that makes sense right? The Celtics were defending champs and bulls were still building. Bulls weren't evne a .500 team and you can't put two and two together as to why MJ couldn't lead his mediocre squad against an elite team? Retarded.

Premise of your thread is the 88 season, where the bulls were 3-3 with the Celtics. MJ put up a fight every game and produced numbers Lebron stans would nut over and fight how it's a team game if he lost. retarded.

Then you talk about how the Bulls got dusted by the Pistons in 5, yet the Celtics, a MUCH better team than the Bulls that season, lost in 6. Derp. But wait there's more. MJ put up respectable numbers against the Pistons. What did Bird put up? 38% from the field. Wait, what?? Yeah, retarded.

Retarded

And do you know why MJ won MVP in 88? Becuase he played out of his mind on BOTH sides of the court while carrying essentially the same cast from 87 along with rookie Pip and Grant coming off the bench. If 35ppg 6apg and elite defense isn't earned, then what is?.

LeBron fan since 1988 AceManIII's Avatar

Talk abowt a thread backfire...

Bulls | Bears | W. Sox ballinhun8's Avatar

This is why kids shouldn't sniff glue in Kindergarten

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
    This is why Lebron stans can't be taken seriously. Retarded.

You include 87, yeah ok cause that makes sense right? The Celtics were defending champs and bulls were still building. Bulls weren't evne a .500 team and you can't put two and two together as to why MJ couldn't lead his mediocre squad against an elite team? Retarded.

Premise of your thread is the 88 season, where the bulls were 3-3 with the Celtics. MJ put up a fight every game and produced numbers Lebron stans would nut over and fight how it's a team game if he lost. retarded.

Then you talk about how the Bulls got dusted by the Pistons in 5, yet the Celtics, a MUCH better team than the Bulls that season, lost in 6. Derp. But wait there's more. MJ put up respectable numbers against the Pistons. What did Bird put up? 38% from the field. Wait, what?? Yeah, retarded.

Agree with everything there but Bird, most of the time, gets shit for that series while people forget to mention that he "needed" ankles and even back surgeries (what happened right after)...

Larry averaged 27.1/10.4/7.6 on .572 TS%, vs the Pistons in 1987; absolute main reason the Celtics even got past them, clutch af... Yet in the following year he wasn't even remotely close to the same numbers, impact, play, so on... notice something strange there? Bird didn't like to publicize his injuries and even express them on the court though, unlike some other NBA primma donnas.
    After the 1988 ECSF, where he was playing just great, giving his all as always, coming through clutch and leading them 4-3 past Dominique's Hawks, he was essentially done (and never even played at that 1984-88 level again til the end of his career).

Oh, and the Celtics didn't have the team to compete with the top dogs anymore during those years, especially in the stacked East. McHale played through a broken foot and was never quite the same again, DJ was old, Sichting dropped his play while Walton and Wedman were gone (Bias died), they had virtually no bench.
    Bird (and more) was playing more minutes than ever, dealing with injuries, bumps and bruises, after years of very physical basketball, going through extremely gruelsome series and great teams.

Decent college freshman

lol Jordan was easily the most valuable player that year. His first of what should have been 7 mvp's, including 5 in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Agree with everything there but Bird, most of the time, gets shit for that series while people forget to mention that he "needed" ankles and even back surgeries (what happened right after)...

Larry averaged 27.1/10.4/7.6 on .572 TS%, vs the Pistons in 1987; absolute main reason the Celtics even got past them, clutch af... Yet in the following year he wasn't even remotely close to the same numbers, impact, play, so on... notice something strange there? Bird didn't like to publicize his injuries and even express them on the court though, unlike some other NBA primma donnas.
    After the 1988 ECSF, where he was playing just great, giving his all as always, coming through clutch and leading them 4-3 past Dominique's Hawks, he was essentially done (and never even played at that 1984-88 level again til the end of his career).

Oh, and the Celtics didn't have the team to compete with the top dogs anymore during those years, especially in the stacked East. McHale played through a broken foot and was never quite the same again, DJ was old, Sichting dropped his play while Walton and Wedman were gone (Bias died), they had virtually no bench.
    Bird (and more) was playing more minutes than ever, dealing with injuries, bumps and bruises, after years of very physical basketball, going through extremely gruelsome series and great teams.

No, i get that. I knew Bird always had that lingering back issue throughout his career. Bird even missed games against the Bulls in that 88 season as well which was why the Bulls were even .500 against them.With Bird playing, I'd imagine W-L results similar to 87 TBH. But My main point was that the Celtics still had a far better team than the Bulls.

I didn't know that about Bird in 88. I saw his production in the two series before and figured the Pistons just had his number that series. That's good to know though. I always thought the true real start of his injury plagued downfall was the beginning of 89 with his surgery. 88 could have easily took him over that edge though.

OP rekt

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i've called out MJ's 1988 mvp many times

why is he allowed to win mvp with an 8th best record team

bird and magic both had #1 seeds
    Yet you praise peak Kobe's 2006 season, when he should've been MVP carrying bums right? Peak Kobe's 2006 season was a poor man's version of pre prime MJ's 1988 campaign:

Kobe's 35 / 5 / 5

v.s.

MJ's 35 / 6 / 6 and 3 SPG ... DPOY

jordan won MVP in 1988, but his runner up, larry bird, completely trashed him in H2H matchups.

bird led boston to an 8-1 record in the regular season over jordan's bulls, and in all but ONE game, he outplayed jordan statistically.

few highlights to the games referenced:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdMjK-60H-k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp0NMFf9Dkg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEaNwJPssEs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zk1vWGxEXo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ChmRhlFzk0

come playoff time, the bulls were to be had in 5 by the pistons, and ironically enough, the cetlics just a year before, in a sweep (in one of those games, jordan went scoreless in the 4th quarter while the bulls were up double digits to begin the period. bird? went off scoring at least 12 points to close the game out).

the only other year i can think of where an mvp completely and throughly was out played, had to have been robinson in 1995 vs hakeem. but even then, that was just in a playoff series. the volume here is larger.

Why this ph@ggot is banned for obviously blatant trolling is beyond me.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Yet you praise peak Kobe's 2006 season, when he should've been MVP carrying bums right? Peak Kobe's 2006 season was a poor man's version of pre prime MJ's 1988 campaign:

Kobe's 35 / 5 / 5

v.s.

MJ's 35 / 6 / 6 and 3 SPG ... DPOY
    if kobe won the MVP you would have a point. fact is , he didn't- so jordan winning an mvp with an 8th seeded team, while being outplayed by bird, H2H, statistically, deserves an asterisk.

nobody today is winning an mvp award just squeezing out a playoff birth. LOL

I really have a hard time believing that these fools are legit bron fans

Quit the act fool.