Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: So, 3800 people in Africa died of ebola this past year, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Sure, it's only had since 1976.
    It has never had an outbreak like this until now because it has been so isolated.

You are phucking retarded.

Banned

Default Re: So, 3800 people in Africa died of ebola this past year, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    It has never had an outbreak like this until now because it has been so isolated.

You are phucking retarded.

Your the retard who posts conspiracy theories about how the virus has to spread in different ways because nurses get sick even though she admitted she touched her mouth with her glove. It's never 100% safe for aid workers with a virus like this. The facts are that it's not a big threat to the western world. It doesn't matter how bad the symptoms are. Things like Malaria are horrible but yet again they aren't a threat to the western world. It's right to implement screening and be cautious about it because you don't want anyone to be sick with anything but carrying on like it's going to kill a large number of people and we need to panic is silly when all the data and science shows it's not likely.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Its not highly contagious, why are health care professionals in state of the art medical facilities taking the utmost precautions catching it?

Why is it spreading like wildfire in Africa if it isn't contagious? It's highly contagious. The only reason you're more likely to catch the flu is because this outbreak of ebola hasn't had enough time to spread out yet.

Ebola is highly contagious. You are a dumbass to mock it. If we let more assholes like Mr. Duncan in to the country and don't catch it in time, we are phucked.
    Because they are living in areas where contaminated bodies are left in the street, where water comes from dodgy sources, where hygene is terrible, where there's shortages of many basic medical necessities including high quality gloves. And if you mean the spanish woman you've already been told numerous times she broke protocol and infected herself.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

The flu kills lots of 80 year olds...

I live in the same neighborhood as the newest infected nurse

I'll let y'all know if I get it and start bleeding out my orfices. I did have a pretty killer headache last night...

Comparing Ebola to the flu is just dumb.

Influenza kills about 1 out of every 15,000 people who get infected, and most flu deaths occur in the elderly or people with additional health problems. Ebola kills 1/2 of people infected and most people who do survive have serious health problems the rest of their lives.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners

Influenza kills about 1 out of every 15,000 people who get infected, and most flu deaths occur in the elderly or people with additional health problems. Ebola kills 1/2 of people infected and most people who do survive have serious health problems the rest of their lives.
    You missed the point. It's in response usually to people who keep saying things like "if ebola mutates to be airborne...." in a similar vein the flu is already airborne and has a history of mutations and far more unstable than ebola yet these ebola panic tards want to keep acting like it's simple for ebola to become airborne while ignoring the fact it's more likely for a serious strain of the flu (which has happened pretty recently in human history) to turn up.

It is extremely unlikely that the disease will ever be transmitted to you. The comparison is not 'just dumb'. If you worry about catching Ebola, and this media driven fear mongering affects your daily life in any way, you are giving into a virtual statistical empty threat.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    It is extremely unlikely that the disease will ever be transmitted to you. The comparison is not 'just dumb'. If you worry about catching Ebola, and this media driven fear mongering affects your daily life in any way, you are giving into a virtual statistical empty threat.
    im not worried about catching ebola. im not worried about catching the flu either.

im just saying that ebola is about 7500x more deadly than influenza and its a dumb comparison.

Banned

im not worried about catching ebola. im not worried about catching the flu either.

im just saying that ebola is about 7500x more deadly than influenza and its a dumb comparison.
    But it kills FAR less people and infects FAR less people, your reasoning is also flawed. That's like saying we should be more worried about airplane crashes than cancer because if a plane crashes you have a higher % chance of dieing than if you have a cancer you caught early. Just because one kills people more efficiently doesn't mean it is more dangerous if it isn't as likely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    But it kills FAR less people and infects FAR less people, your reasoning is also flawed. That's like saying we should be more worried about airplane crashes than cancer because if a plane crashes you have a higher % chance of dieing than if you have a cancer you caught early. Just because one kills people more efficiently doesn't mean it is more dangerous if it isn't as likely to happen.
    i didnt say ebola was more dangerous, i said it was more deadly.

if the rate of airplane crashes suddenly skyrockets, then maybe we should start worrying about airplane crashes.

Banned

i didnt say ebola was more dangerous, i said it was more deadly.

if the rate of airplane crashes suddenly skyrockets, then maybe we should start worrying about airplane crashes.
    Then what do you define as deadly? Because if you are not talking about how effective it kills those it does manage to infect then I have no idea what you consider deadly to be in this case?

Then what do you define as deadly? Because if you are not talking about how effective it kills those it does manage to infect then I have no idea what you consider deadly to be in this case?
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deadly

likely to cause or capable of producing death

Banned

So my point is completely valid....

A plane crash is more likely to cause death then cancer if you are in a plane crash which is a small chance. In the same way ebola is more likely to cause death than the flu if you happen to catch ebola which is FAR less likely than the flu.

So my point is completely valid....
    i didnt say it wasnt...

comparing ebola and the flu is stupid, comparing airline crashes and cancer is stupid too.