Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What do you think of Derozen?

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    DeRozan will be out of the league if he doesnt reach his potential, so I'll once again rank his potential.

Average career-Darius Miles meets Desmond Mason
    Good career-Gerald Wallace including defensive prowess
    Great career-Longer version of Vince Carter without the great ballhandling ability
    Bad- shorter Joey Graham?
    Terrible- Gerald Green

Lets hope he isn't that bad.

I guess its how the coaching staff works on him and puts his skills together to be a great player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kmart
    Bad- Gerald Green with no range
    Terrible- Qyntel Woods

Lets hope he isn't that bad.

I guess its how the coaching staff works on him and puts his skills together to be a great player.
    Had to fix things, if he doesn't improve at all as a player he will be out of the league at the end of his rookie contract.

He is definetly the most risk-reward draft pick in 2009, because with DeRozan he has nothing else outside of his exceptional athletic ability & potential to keep him in the NBA.

Had to fix things, if he doesn't improve at all as a player he will be out of the league at the end of his rookie contract.

He is definetly the most risk-reward draft pick in 2009, because with DeRozan he has nothing else outside of his exceptional athletic ability & potential to keep him in the NBA.
    Decent mid range game and work ethic. Tie that in with athleticism and you got very good potential in a palyer who can become a future all star. I would totally take him at #9, maybe even over Tyreke Evans if he is on the board.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toni
    Decent mid range game and work ethic. Tie that in with athleticism and you got very good potential in a palyer who can become a future all star. I would totally take him at #9, maybe even over Tyreke Evans if he is on the board.
    Thats not enough to save him in the NBA, DeRozan can not create his own shot, unless you watch basketball closely or have played basketball like I have you would realize how much of a flaw that is in a player espescially a player like DeRozan with his athletic ability.

If DeRozan had the handles to attack the basket in a half court set he would be going #2, actually if he could do this he wouldnt even need to develop his outside shot.

DeRozan would only thrive in the open court where he can dunk, outside of that espescially from the half court he wont have much of anything going for him until he can create his own shot.

Thats not enough to save him in the NBA, DeRozan can not create his own shot, unless you watch basketball closely or have played basketball like I have you would realize how much of a flaw that is in a player espescially a player like DeRozan with his athletic ability.

If DeRozan had the handles to attack the basket in a half court set he would be going #2, actually if he could do this he wouldnt even need to develop his outside shot.

DeRozan would only thrive in the open court where he can dunk, outside of that espescially from the half court he wont have much of anything going for him until he can create his own shot.
    I watched 2 USC games this year and they happened to be in the Pac-10 finals where Derozan played out of his mind on defense and got easy dunks in transition. His mid-range game also looked solid in both games.

I agree that he can't create off the dribble and if he could he would be deadly. And if he could slash like Gerald Wallace he would be deadly. I say he does end up like a Gerald Wallace type player, one that has a decent mid-range game and loves taking it to the hole.

His strengths:
    Athletic ability (Hopefully he can use it to get to the rim)
    Mid-Range jumper
    Defense
    Work Ethic (he got better throughout the year at USC)

His Flaws:
    3pt range
    Creating his own shot off the dribble
    He doesn't have crazy handles but decent handles

I don't think he will become anything like Wallace because he isn't nearly as strong and cannot slash the way he does.

If he can become anywhere near an Iguodala type player I would be very happy. If there was one player I would compare Derozan to it would be Iggy, not VC. Just because of defensive intensity, getting in the passing lanes and not having great range. Also flashy dunks.

Banned

I don't think he will become anything like Wallace because he isn't nearly as strong and cannot slash the way he does.

If he can become anywhere near an Iguodala type player I would be very happy. If there was one player I would compare Derozan to it would be Iggy, not VC. Just because of defensive intensity, getting in the passing lanes and not having great range. Also flashy dunks.
    Once again your failing to acknowledge the lack of a handle DeRozan has compared to Iggy, Iggy also has much better court vision and is a very high IQ basketball player, something he doesnt get much credit for at all.

Also Gerald Wallace is a fair comparison considering Wallace like DeRozan was highly touted coming out of HS and had an underwhelming freshman year as a whole with some highlights that showed flashes of his potential, however Wallace went in the 20's onto a Championship contending team allowing him the chance to develop while DeRozan is nothing lower than a Top 12 pick who will be expected to contribute immediately off the bench, not at the end of one.

Once again your failing to acknowledge the lack of a handle DeRozan has compared to Iggy, Iggy also has much better court vision and is a very high IQ basketball player, something he doesnt get much credit for at all.

Also Gerald Wallace is a fair comparison considering Wallace like DeRozan was highly touted coming out of HS and had an underwhelming freshman year as a whole with some highlights that showed flashes of his potential, however Wallace went in the 20's onto a Championship contending team allowing him the chance to develop while DeRozan is nothing lower than a Top 12 pick who will be expected to contribute immediately off the bench, not at the end of one.
    I think that the fact that Derozan had a excellent Pac-10 tourney makes a huge difference, so I'd say hes a better prospect. He beat out tough teams like Arizona, Arizona St, and UCLA. Also I doubt that Derozan gets a lot minutes with Delfino and Marion likely returning. But he'll get some opportunities to play maybe around 15 - 20 mins but thats quite a bit more than what Gerald Wallace got in Sacramento.

Interesting to look back and see what everyone thought of him before we drafted him. Now.... he's an all-star.

Looks like me and Toni hit it right on the money.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
    Interesting to look back and see what everyone thought of him before we drafted him. Now.... he's an all-star.
    You mean this... Derozan or Jennings..

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=154282

Quote Originally Posted by Jballer
    You mean this... Derozan or Jennings..

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=154282
    Meh, what do I know?

Still think Jennings is a good player though.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
    Meh, what do I know?

Still think Jennings is a good player though.
    No fault in in mate

I missed the post/posting because I didnt know what to think of Derozan. He was so much "upside" and "down the road" I was like others thinking "meh - we will see" too long to project when you want to see progress now.

I was even on record some where back there liking TWill. Had no idea he was a basketcase but I thought coming out of (Kentucky ????) Twill was a rotation ready rookie with upside. I remember thinking the Nets had pulled a better pick than the Raps.

In hindsight both Derozan and Val were very very good picks; neither destined to pay dividends till later.

Some luck here as I dont think Management at the time necessarily bought into long term success... but I am sure glad we have them both. Neither may end up as "perennial all stars" (perhaps occasional all - stars) but they are good pieces to build around long term if they will stay here.

Local High School Star

I still think Drummond > Ross despite 50 points and slam championships.

Even if you couldnt manage a team with both Val and Drummond - ( and that is far from sure although Cheecks had troubles managing Munroe and Drummond) - one or the other would bring you a top 5 pick in any given lottery I am fairly sure. It would have been a real ace in the whole...

Whether I trust Colengelo with that Ace is mute point because he didnt pick Drummond and couldnt be counted on to hold for longer term value.