Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
franchise#3
Local High School Star

franchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Which laptop should I get?

Sony Vaio E series:

Intel® Core™ i3-3110M Processor (2.40GHz)
Windows 8
4GB RAM
640GB Hard Drive
15.5" WXGA VAIO Display (1366 x 768)
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0)

Samsung Series 3:

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 3210M (2.50 / 3.1 Turbo Boost GHz)
Windows® 7 Professional (64 Bit)
15.6" HD LED Anti-Reflective, 220nit, Non-Gloss Display (1366 x 768)
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
Intel® HD Graphics 4000

I'm leaning towards sony since it has the USB 3 and I like the looks of it better.

Is there a huge difference between the i3 and i5 processor? The desktop i5 appears to have four cores but laptop one only has 2. So the only difference is the turbo boost?
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Which laptop should I get?

The i5 is better, but as you said the difference is not that significant as in the in the desktop cpu's. Its a matter of personal preference id go with the samsung.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise#3
Sony Vaio E series:

Intel® Core™ i3-3110M Processor (2.40GHz)
Windows 8
4GB RAM
640GB Hard Drive
15.5" WXGA VAIO Display (1366 x 768)
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.0)

Samsung Series 3:

Intel® Core™ i5 Processor 3210M (2.50 / 3.1 Turbo Boost GHz)
Windows® 7 Professional (64 Bit)
15.6" HD LED Anti-Reflective, 220nit, Non-Gloss Display (1366 x 768)
4GB RAM
500GB Hard Drive
Intel® HD Graphics 4000

I'm leaning towards sony since it has the USB 3 and I like the looks of it better.

Is there a huge difference between the i3 and i5 processor? The desktop i5 appears to have four cores but laptop one only has 2. So the only difference is the turbo boost?

The extra Ram will probably make more of a difference than the processor.

Are they the same price?
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

I own a Vaio, older model though. And it has a shitty battery, lasts 2 hours on a good day. Don't know if they've made it better, but just a heads up.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Jameerthefear
Feelin' Dandy

Jameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJameerthefear is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What are your uses for it?
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
franchise#3
Local High School Star

franchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation herefranchise#3 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
The extra Ram will probably make more of a difference than the processor.

Are they the same price?

I could always upgrade RAM.

The Samsung is cheaper by about 60 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
What are your uses for it?

Just browsing, listening to music, playing some old games.
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise#3
The Samsung is cheaper by about 60 bucks.

get the samsung then. besides it should have usb 3.0 ports even if they didnt advertise it
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

The hardware is close enough that it doesn't really matter which one you pick. What really matters is whether you want Windows 7 or Windows 8.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: