Default Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Anyone buy/planning to buy Dragon Ball Xenoverse? Picked it up today and an ISH crew would be cool. Looking it so far. From what I hear, it's the console version of Dragon Ball Online, an MMO in Asia, where you create a character and help trunks and other time patrolled fix the changes that an evil time patrolled made in the DBZ storyline.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Dragon Ball Xenoverse

Friend of mine got it. I don't have a next gen system...gonna play it tomorrow...he says it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Friend of mine got it. I don't have a next gen system...gonna play it tomorrow...he says it's good.
    The fighting is frustrating as hell. The missions rely heavily on team matchups, so having to keep changing who you're locked onto is a PITA. I find myself attacking with my back to the opponent and throwing combos into thin air because the animation takes a couple of seconds to respond. Super attacks like Frieza's death ball are really hard to avoid, even if you know it's coming in 2 seconds, so the only thing to do is to block it, which decreases your stamina. Then, because you're dealing with a villain that distorts time, you have matches where someone like Mr. Satan gets ridiculously powered up and starts destroying you and Goku after getting mad that you won't let him fight in the Cell Games. Shit like that.

To be honest, if it wasn't a DBZ game, I wouldn't put up with some of its flaws. The storyline is cool, interacting with DBZ characters with your own guy is a lot of fun, and unlocking attacks to build a superset is a cool reward. Trying to get Special Beam Cannon/Super Kamehameha/Super Saiyan/Death Ball as my specials and Final Flash as my Ultimate attack. Playing with other people online is fun too, I've got a few people I've added to my list of preferred teammates, and we wreck shit.

Also, LOVING that some of the cutscenes that don't contain your character are in the old DBZ anime style.

I'd give the game a 6.5-7/10 so far. IGN gave it a 9, but I haven't seen anything in the game that would warrant that high of a score.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

The community gave it a 9 (9.6 on xb1 ), not the site.

DBZ is still so popular that it warrants making a video game? I remember some of the old PS games and they weren't very good.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by code green
    The fighting is frustrating as hell. The missions rely heavily on team matchups, so having to keep changing who you're locked onto is a PITA. I find myself attacking with my back to the opponent and throwing combos into thin air because the animation takes a couple of seconds to respond. Super attacks like Frieza's death ball are really hard to avoid, even if you know it's coming in 2 seconds, so the only thing to do is to block it, which decreases your stamina. Then, because you're dealing with a villain that distorts time, you have matches where someone like Mr. Satan gets ridiculously powered up and starts destroying you and Goku after getting mad that you won't let him fight in the Cell Games. Shit like that.

To be honest, if it wasn't a DBZ game, I wouldn't put up with some of its flaws. The storyline is cool, interacting with DBZ characters with your own guy is a lot of fun, and unlocking attacks to build a superset is a cool reward. Trying to get Special Beam Cannon/Super Kamehameha/Super Saiyan/Death Ball as my specials and Final Flash as my Ultimate attack. Playing with other people online is fun too, I've got a few people I've added to my list of preferred teammates, and we wreck shit.

Also, LOVING that some of the cutscenes that don't contain your character are in the old DBZ anime style.

I'd give the game a 6.5-7/10 so far. IGN gave it a 9, but I haven't seen anything in the game that would warrant that high of a score.
    Yeah i played it...it's okay overall...the actual fighting is decent but the story line and ability to create/customize characters is really cool

National High School Star Richesly's Avatar

I picked it up. It's pretty good, but kinda hard. You have to grind, which I just don't have the time to do.

National High School Star

I wouldn't say its the perfect game, it has quite a few floors and issues, but i absolutely love this game.

I don't have a problem with the fighting, i think that's one of the best parts. You need to line up combos, yeah you can miss as the lock on isn't as strong the older games, but that to me is all part of the fighting.
    The biggest issue i have is when it comes to multiple opponents / allies.

Your cpu allies ai is dumb, straight out. Quite a lot of the time, you'll get double teamed, and your allies will just float there watching you get beat down. Your only real option is to fly around in circles till one of them decides to get into the fight. Or if your versing multiple opponents, it is hard to get any real combo's going as you'll normally get hit in the back of hit with energy blast which disrupt everything. These situations can become a bit frustrating.

1-1 though i love it, i love the combo mix up. I love the character creation. I just love it all.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Fighting pisses me off. why can't they just make the fighting like tenkaichi 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    I wouldn't say its the perfect game, it has quite a few floors and issues, but i absolutely love this game.

I don't have a problem with the fighting, i think that's one of the best parts. You need to line up combos, yeah you can miss as the lock on isn't as strong the older games, but that to me is all part of the fighting.
    The biggest issue i have is when it comes to multiple opponents / allies.

Your cpu allies ai is dumb, straight out. Quite a lot of the time, you'll get double teamed, and your allies will just float there watching you get beat down. Your only real option is to fly around in circles till one of them decides to get into the fight. Or if your versing multiple opponents, it is hard to get any real combo's going as you'll normally get hit in the back of hit with energy blast which disrupt everything. These situations can become a bit frustrating.

1-1 though i love it, i love the combo mix up. I love the character creation. I just love it all.
    I posted about the fighting controls the day after I got the game, I'm much more used to it now. Once you get used to it coming from the other DBZ games, you grow to appreciate it. My original character is at level 80; I'm trying to unlock everything before moving on to my next character. Some of the unlockables are tough, like the Ultimate Moves or characters that you can only get by wishing it from Shenron. Grinding Parallel Quest 2 over and over trying to get a Dragon Ball gets old reaaaal quick.

You're dead on about your CPU allies. The only levels that I haven't Ultimate Finished were the ones where you have to protect one of your allies from dying, and I swear to God they go out of their way to get hit. I'm literally spamming Ki Charge + Super Saiyan 2 + Ultimate Finishers to get the mission done with as quick as possible, and without fail the last guy always kills my ally.

Not too sure how much longer the game can fill my interest; I've beaten the story, beaten all the parallel quests, and unlocked Broly and Bardock. Now it's just playing the same levels over and over again waiting for a DLC to come out. (First one is today for XBox, tomorrow for PS4) My biggest beef with DLC 1 is the fact that we're getting a few new story missions, parallel quests, and characters, and they didn't include Baby. He was one of the best villains in the series; not to mention they're including the Tuffle Planet and the Golden Great Ape as part of the update. I know I usually use my custom character, but it would be cool to have him available.
    Last edited by code green; 03-17-2015 at 11:40 AM.