Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Oklahoma City Thunder Forum

Oklahoma City Thunder Forum Oklahoma City Thunder forum - OKC Thunder message board

Old 10-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default earl watson and discrimination in okc?

was this incident reported in okc? i tried to find it in the okc paper without any success

...all hasn't gone smoothly for the affable guard (watson). A few weeks ago, he and his friends attempted to enter an Oklahoma City nightclub and were confronted with racial discrimination by a club employee.

Watson did not want to go into detail about the incident, but said he and his friends were stereotyped. Watson, an eight-year NBA veteran, has never been in trouble with the law.

"The only thing I am going to say about that is, it's challenging," he said of the incident. "It's pure ignorance, because you never know who's who and you treat everyone like somebody, and that's how I carry myself in my life. It's a shame you don't have people who feel the same. I believe in something higher than people, and I let that take care of that.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basket...thunder28.html
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
FAhusky
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: earl watson and discrimination in okc?

Choirboyz just out for a beer and fun. I'm sure Watson and crew were in white shirts and ties carrying their bibles. It's funny how body language leads people to believe you carry a chip on your shoulder.
FAhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
oksportsguy
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
was this incident reported in okc? i tried to find it in the okc paper without any success

...all hasn't gone smoothly for the affable guard (watson). A few weeks ago, he and his friends attempted to enter an Oklahoma City nightclub and were confronted with racial discrimination by a club employee.

Watson did not want to go into detail about the incident, but said he and his friends were stereotyped. Watson, an eight-year NBA veteran, has never been in trouble with the law.

"The only thing I am going to say about that is, it's challenging," he said of the incident. "It's pure ignorance, because you never know who's who and you treat everyone like somebody, and that's how I carry myself in my life. It's a shame you don't have people who feel the same. I believe in something higher than people, and I let that take care of that.

Funny the link was taken down. That's what happens when newspapers print rumors, that are not true.
oksportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksportsguy
Funny the link was taken down. That's what happens when newspapers print rumors, that are not true.

i just wrote the seattle PI and gary washburn to find out why and the veracity of the article
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksportsguy

it was just moved to:

Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

Quote:

Watson's an idiot(and not much of a point guard). Most nightclubs in OKC have dress codes and if you're dressed like a gangbanger, your not getting in, no matter who you are.

Some days I just love the ignorance and snobbery of some Seattleites.

Population by race Black or African American 2007 and rank.
Washington 3.4% #37
Oklahoma 7.5% #25

Population by race Black or African American 2006
Seattle 47,500 8.4%
OKC 82,100 15.1%

Population by race White (Not Hispanic) 2006
Seattle 70.1%
OKC 63.2%

There is a lot of bigotry in Seattle. It is just hidden by passive aggressive behavior.

The best black athletes in the nation come to Oklahoma to attend college and represent on our sports teams and have for decades. They don't seem to think there's a problem with racism here.
ThunderCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCover
Watson's an idiot

There is a lot of bigotry in Seattle. It is just hidden by passive aggressive behavior.

The best black athletes in the nation come to Oklahoma to attend college and represent on our sports teams and have for decades. They don't seem to think there's a problem with racism here.

self knowldge is a virtue

http://www.changingminds.org/explana...projection.htm
Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

Quote:

OKC endorsement

Former OU coach Kelvin Sampson, a Milwaukee assistant, attended a handful of games when the Hornets spent two seasons in the Ford Center. He told rookie forward D.J. White, who played for Sampson at Indiana, that being traded to Oklahoma City was a blessing.
"I told D.J., ‘You’re going to love playing there — their fan base, the excitement,” Sampson said. "The fans take ownership. This is their team unlike anywhere you’ll ever see.’ They’re not renting the Hornets anymore. This is their team. These players here will look back on this and remember it the rest of their lives.”
Old 10-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

Rumors are running rampant that Former UW head coach Ty Willingham is about to file a racial discrimination lawsuit against the schools corrupt administration for unfairly firing him. Developing.....
Old 11-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
OKC endorsement

Former OU coach Kelvin Sampson, a Milwaukee assistant, attended a handful of games when the Hornets spent two seasons in the Ford Center. He told rookie forward D.J. White, who played for Sampson at Indiana, that being traded to Oklahoma City was a blessing.
"I told D.J., ‘You’re going to love playing there — their fan base, the excitement,” Sampson said. "The fans take ownership. This is their team unlike anywhere you’ll ever see.’ They’re not renting the Hornets anymore. This is their team. These players here will look back on this and remember it the rest of their lives.”

could it be that there is nothing else to do there? (besides cow tipping of course)
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Rumors are running rampant that Former UW head coach Ty Willingham is about to file a racial discrimination lawsuit against the schools corrupt administration for unfairly firing him. Developing.....

yeah, i am sure that going winless this year has nothing to do with it

of course all be forgiven if they beat usc today (and the cougs in the apple bowl)
Old 11-02-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

Quote:
yeah, i am sure that going winless this year has nothing to do with it

of course all be forgiven if they beat usc today (and the cougs in the apple bowl)

0-56 LOL..0-8 LOL

Even though the mutts discriminated against Ty by firing him, they obviously did him a favor by freeing him from that dung heep. Now he has a chance to catch on with a true division one school.

The mutts have no chance against WSU, who although only winning one game themselves and being one of the worst teams in college football, are still far superior.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:

The mutts have no chance against WSU, who although only winning one game themselves and being one of the worst teams in college football, are still far superior.

i think youre basing this statement on pure fantasy--wsu had their season handed to them on a platter once all those starters were suspended at the beginning of the season. that will be the big difference in the 'dogs trouncing them this year
Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
ThunderCover
I airball my layups

Quote:
i think youre basing this statement on pure fantasy--wsu had their season handed to them on a platter once all those starters were suspended at the beginning of the season. that will be the big difference in the 'dogs trouncing them this year

That is frickin hilarious......

The mutts couldn't trounce the WSU cheerleaders.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: