Learning to shoot layups

Default How long does it take to fully recover from torn ankle ligaments?

Title.

Stepped on someone else's foot while playing basketball. Went to doc, they got my foot covered in cast now.

I'm sure we have someone experienced this injury in the forum since its one of the most common bball injuries.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: How long does it take to fully recover from torn ankle ligaments?

torn ligaments take a long time to heal, but with the ankle, you can tape it and brace it up where you can get back playing during the tail end of your recovery.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Without surgery, it won't ever be the same again. I got the same exact injury playing basketball as well. Went for the block and landed on my friend's foot. Did not get surgery, had physical therapy for a couple of months. But I still feel an occasionally discomfort there. Nothing too painful or unbearable, but it made me much more cautious playing basketball and soccer.
    Last edited by lakers_forever; 07-07-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    Without surgery, it won't ever be the same again. I got the same exact injury playing basketball as well. Went for the block and landed on my friend's foot. Did not get surgery, had physical therapy for a couple of months. But I still feel an occasionally discomfort there. Nothing too painful or unbearable, but it made me much more cautious playing basketball and soccer.
    im ****ed

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

The first time I sprained my left ankle like 2 years ago it took like 3 months.. I couldnt ball all summer. The second time I did though like a month ago, somehow it healed up on the 4th or 5th day out of nowhere. Keep icing it and load up on anti-inflammatories, blood thinners.

NBA Superstar

I've never had a sprained ankle looked at by doctors so I'm not entirely sure about the extent of tearing that's occurred. I've had a ton of "light" sprains that'd keep me out of the game for a few weeks. But then I also recall two major sprains, one in particular that led me crawling around the house the next morning unable to stand to cook breakfast, and that one kept me out for well over a month.

One way or another, as others said, some sprains open up the ability to begin playing before they're finally healed. Though again, even in the minor sprains, it's a calculated risk. I've re-sprained injured ankles by trying to return earlier than I should have on a number of occasions and I am regretful of such actions. I say make sure you slowly rebuild strength and let that thing fully heal.

Learning to shoot layups

thanks everyone

i ll go easy on myself. dont want to end up like G.Hill

joking aside, i've had minor sprains also but i can tell this one was major. ive heard that cracking sound and felt that real ****ed up pain. knew something was either torn or broken.

to the people constantly having minor sprains; use ankle braces whenever you are playing, better safe than sorry, wish i knew importance of those stuff.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iguana
    thanks everyone

i ll go easy on myself. dont want to end up like G.Hill

joking aside, i've had minor sprains also but i can tell this one was major. ive heard that cracking sound and felt that real ****ed up pain. knew something was either torn or broken.

to the people constantly having minor sprains; use ankle braces whenever you are playing, better safe than sorry, wish i knew importance of those stuff.
    Yep. I use it too. And once you got a torn ankle, it becomes easier to get it injured again. You have to be careful as hell. Good luck and get well soon.