Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Colbertnation64
I hit open 5-footers

Colbertnation64 has no real reputation yet.
Default Video: Maurice Stokes Benefit Game from 1959

I haven't seen this video anywhere else so I just uploaded it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GY123yxYCE

Here's a little bit about Stoke from wikipedia.

On March 12, 1958, in the last game of the regular 1957–58 NBA season, in Minneapolis, Stokes drove to the basket, drew contact, fell to the floor, struck his head and lost consciousness. He was revived with smelling salts and returned to the game. Three days later, after a 12-point, 15-rebound performance in an opening-round playoff game at Detroit against the Pistons, he became ill on the team's flight back to Cincinnati; "I feel like I'm going to die," he told a teammate. He later suffered a seizure, fell into a coma and was left permanently paralyzed. In the end, he was diagnosed with posttraumatic encephalopathy, a brain injury that damaged his motor-control center."

The tragedy greatly shook the team: Stokes, a tremendous talent who could play center, forward or even guard, was second in the NBA in rebounds and third in assists in 1957-58, a feat only Wilt Chamberlain has matched for a full season. Without their best player the Royals nearly folded, but recovered after drafting superstar point guard Oscar Robertson two years later.

During the years that followed, Stokes was supported by his lifelong friend and teammate Jack Twyman, who became his legal guardian to help him pay his medical bills.

Colbertnation64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong waysenelcoolidge is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Video: Maurice Stokes Benefit Game from 1959

This is a sad story. Good to see NBA pros raising money for one of their own.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: