Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Local High School Star joshwake's Avatar

Default Re: Best series on TV in the last 10 years?

had not heard of The Wire until this thread. Will check it out very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    last season of the wire was great u dirty bitches
    I have to agree. It wasn't as good as previous seasons but it was still awesome.

T H E W I R E

Easily.

Learning to shoot layups Sam Winchester's Avatar

Supernatural

breaking bad and prison break were both great IMO.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Malcolm in the Middle.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

The Wire hands down and obviously Seinfeld stopped making new episodes well before your time limit.

And the last season of the Wire was still a great show but for the standards it set, it was pretty shitty.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    The Sopranos was never about making the audience 'feel good' or giving them closure. It was nihilistic/absurdist at its core ("It's all a big nothing") and the finale was in line with that. Season 5 of the Wire pissed me off, especially since it followed the brilliant 4th season. I haven't seen it since it aired, so maybe I'd feel differently now but it was easily the weakest of the 5 seasons by a good margin.
    how come you feel that way? i don't necessarily disagree with you that it was the weakest, though certainly not by a good margin. it wasn't as strong only because it wasn't as long. i think there are only ten episodes compared to thirteen for each of the others, seems it just wasn't very popular at the time, didn't have a steady following. that makes sense, it'd be a very tough show to follow and make sense of weak by weak as opposed to digesting multiple episodes per sitting.

i've heard the criticism before and understand it but i'm curious about your reasons. i've been casually going through each of the seasons randomly, probably my 4th or 5th viewing at this point. season five works really well at least for me, primarily because the newsroom is simon's home, his bread and butter... and for him, the integrity of the fourth estate is dependent on dutifully holding a mirror to every other societal institution to keep them in check lest they fall by the wayside. unfortunately as s5 shows, the press is a profit-driven institution as well, and there's nobody to watch the watchers. that was the moral of the tale i got anyway.

might be lotta folks can't get invested in the B-Sun story arc in quite the same way they did with the BPD, barksdale organization, the school system, and others. similar to the distance people felt from the docks/unions plot though popular opinion has come around on s2 since then.

same question to you jdg, care to elaborate? but yeah, the wire and it is hands down and nothing gets close. not breaking bad, not game of thrones, not dexter or mad men or any of those. only two shows i hesitate not to rank a definitive tier below are the sopranos and deadwood, neither of which i've finished.
    Last edited by RidonKs; 09-08-2012 at 03:53 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    I like Game of Thrones, but wow really? Over Breaking Bad and the Wire and by that much? I actually like Boardwalk Empire over Game of Thrones, which for whatever reason gets way more hype while BE is rarely mentioned. I really don't get the appeal to that level but to each his own. Different opinions I guess.

I just recently over the past year got into dramas and I'd rank the ones I've seen like this:

1. Breaking Bad/Wire
    2. Wire/Breaking Bad (Just really can't pick between the two)
    3. Boardwalk Empire
    4. Game of Thrones

Shows that I plan on eventually watching: The Sopranos, Dexter, and the Shield.

FYI - I like Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and comedies like that, but they just aren't anywhere near as interesting .
    Just watched some old BB yesterday, and I think I've decided to go with that over the wire.

there's to many good comedy series in the last 10 years.

the office uk
    the office us - until season 5, after that it kinda has dragged on.
    parks and recreation - gets really going after season 2. season 3 and 4 are off the charts good.
    miranda
    the it crowd
    bad education

I rule the local playground Rojogaqu11's Avatar

I haven't seen many but from those (no order):

-Breaking Bad

-Mad Men

-Battlestar Galactica

-Lost

-Prison Break

-Homeland

-Deadwood

Though I enjoy comedies, I'm not much into watching them regularly. I've watched these and enjoyed them.

-Community
    -Chuck
    -Scrubs
    -Bernie Mac Show
    -Modern Family

People are also forgetting the Sopranos, which was partly these last 10 years.

Lost would be much higher up the list for me if the ending wasn't what the writers said they would never do (really early on) because it trivialized everything in the series. Basically we got toward the end and it was , wait - that can't be where we are going, because the writers already said they wouldn't do that.

Again, the Sopranos is the greatest (consistent) show I've ever seen not named Breaking Bad.

guy - vice versa; haven't seen the wire yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Again, the Sopranos is the greatest (consistent) show I've ever seen not named Breaking Bad.

guy - vice versa; haven't seen the wire yet.
    The Wire is probably the most in depth drama in the history of television. It's really involved and feels the most "real" of any show that's probably ever been on. I mean, it is REALLY involved and smart. But when I think "Best Series", I'm not sure if I would say that necessarily. Best Series is also cultural impact and The Wire is such a niche show that not many people have seen. That's why I'm not sure I'd give it the title.

To me, LOST and Sopranos were 2 shows that were both great AND sort of defined TV in a way because of their overall impact.