Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Ol Dirty Bastard
Local High School Star

Default Who else would like to see a relegation system in the NBA?

I can see it working specifically in the NBA, just as it's done in soccer. I've always thought that relegation would fit the NBA and even heard it being debated on ESPN before the season started.

It would make the season much more interesting and allow for fans to care about a second league, most likely the NBDL in this case.
Just like in soccer the bottom 3 teams, like the current Wizards, Bobcats, Kings etc, would be bumped down to the D-league to rebuild their rosters and compete with similar teams. Therefore giving the top 3 teams in the NBDL to get a chance and compete in the NBA.

However I know it'll never happen due to greedy owners and the overall structure of NCAA basketball.

But If you think about what it could bring to US basketball and to the overall level of equal competition, it seems like a great idea IMO. A relegated system can give cities more entertainment by following a second or third team to root for in their home town, it gives the controversy of seeing a team get "demoted," possibly make the draft that much more interesting and will allow players with major hoop dreams to get better chances of playing in the NBA.

What's the thought on this?
Ol Dirty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Vienceslav
Local High School Star

Default Re: Who else would like to see a relegation system in the NBA?

Not going to happen since the owners need guaranteed profit and the way the lottery works the relegated team would get the first pick most of the time.
Vienceslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
dbugz
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Dirty Bastard
I can see it working specifically in the NBA, just as it's done in soccer. I've always thought that relegation would fit the NBA and even heard it being debated on ESPN before the season started.

It would make the season much more interesting and allow for fans to care about a second league, most likely the NBDL in this case.
Just like in soccer the bottom 3 teams, like the current Wizards, Bobcats, Kings etc, would be bumped down to the D-league to rebuild their rosters and compete with similar teams. Therefore giving the top 3 teams in the NBDL to get a chance and compete in the NBA.

However I know it'll never happen due to greedy owners and the overall structure of NCAA basketball.

But If you think about what it could bring to US basketball and to the overall level of equal competition, it seems like a great idea IMO. A relegated system can give cities more entertainment by following a second or third team to root for in their home town, it gives the controversy of seeing a team get "demoted," possibly make the draft that much more interesting and will allow players with major hoop dreams to get better chances of playing in the NBA.

What's the thought on this?

not a fan of football/soccer here, I'm just curious, is this a mandatory system for all major leagues like EPL and Bundesliga?
dbugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
hon hon hon eat snails

I like this too but I am even more subversive.

Split the league in 2. 15 teams as the A league and the bottom 15 teams are B league.

Give more TV time to the top 15 teams because teams who do well should be rewarded for trying to compete unlike many teams who are content charging fans money for tickets and are constantly losing.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
bmulls
Good college starter

Even NBA scrubs ball in the D League. A full NBA roster vs. D League teams would be complete domination.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

whatever gives players motivation besides paychecks...
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
FKAri
Banned

In soccer (I don't know about MLS so Im referring to European soccer teams) the teams are their own entity and they choose to participate in the league they are in (assuming that league accepts them and FIFA allows it).

In the NBA, a team is considered a part of the NBA itself. The Chicago Bulls couldn't come out on their own and say "we are withdrawing from the NBA and joining the Spanish ACB league now". The Chicago Bulls is a franchise of the NBA.

Atleast this is what I understand of the differences in the team/club setup.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
HurricaneKid
College superstar

FKAri is right. There is no way it could ever happen. The teams own a portion of the league (and accompanying TV money, etc). But I love the idea in Basketball AND Baseball. Too many bad teams that don't even TRY to win.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: