Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 08-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #1051
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

Default Re: The 2017 off-season...Hayward, Hill, Ingles...?

https://thejnotes.com/2017/08/16/uta...es-alec-burks/

Quote:
some Jazz fans were quite certain that he would no longer be on the roster heading into the 2017-18 season

those fans haven't been paying attention

Quote:
there’s no denying that he has the potential to bounce back and revamp his career, but considering all the times he’s fallen victim to injuries, it would be somewhat surprising if he did so.

Do't know why. Unlike Exum he's actually shown he can play in the league and I thought he looked good last year despite supposedly not being close to 100%

Quote:
I suppose that I could pin Burks’ best case scenario as him fully rounding back to form, becoming the reliable playmaker many thought he could shape up to be, finding his 40 percent stroke from deep that he exhibited in the few games he played in 2015-16 and ultimately challenging Rodney Hood for the starting gig or taking it entirely. However, his past injury history seems too daunting of a challenge for this to be realistic.

He's a 6th man like Hood. Don't see why it can't happen though

Quote:
As much as I’d like to be optimistic about Burks’ chances to have a bit of a rebound in 2017-18, unfortunately he hasn’t done much to convince me over the course of the past three seasons that he’ll be capable of such a leap. I certainly hope he can finally have his breakout season as the Jazz need his offense now more than ever with Hayward no longer on the team, but I’m not exactly counting on that becoming the reality.

But you expect Exum to despite him never showing anything unlike Alec
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #1052
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/08/16/ut...lear-december/

They have to get off to a great start with most of them at home. Could be over before December
Old 08-17-2017, 03:19 PM   #1053
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://fansided.com/2017/08/16/nba-...e-potential/6/

Quote:
Will Jazz fans come down hard on their former player? Will they welcome him back?

is there any doubt?
Old 08-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #1054
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2017/...rriors-2017/4/

I'd put them in the 5th tier
Old 08-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #1055
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

With his adidas deal, Mitchell joins a growing stable of very young, very cool players like Brandon Ingram, Jamal Murray, Kris Dunn, Jaylen Brown, Joel Embiid, Andrew Wiggins, James Harden and Damian Lillard. Considering he didn’t even think he would be in the NBA at this point, the fact that he’s got a sneaker deal is another milestone that came way quicker than anticipated. “When my agents and I were talking about the sneaker deal, I thought it was going to be the typical agent meeting where they promise you a shoe deal and you’re like, Alright, I’m not that good, this is for guys who are big-time,” says Mitchell. “So when it happened, I was like, Wow, you were right, it did happen! It was a no-brainer going with adidas and I’m blessed and happy to be in this position and hope to keep representing them for a long period of time.” – via SLAM
Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #1056
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=45466399&ni...ns-with-dallas

Quote:
Withey found his spot in the rotation taken by two new Jazz acquisitions. The Jazz selected Tony Bradley 28th in June's NBA Draft, and then the team signed Ekpe Udoh to a two-year deal in July. That, plus the recovery of Derrick Favors and the emergence of Joel Bolomboy, made Withey's role disappear.

What role? He was never appreciated. Not sure why they ever signed himor brought him back last year really

Looks like he'll be in a fight for minutes in Dallas too with Mejri and Powell and Noel

RIP Granny
Old 08-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #1057
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://sircharlesincharge.com/2017/...eak-2017-18/9/

Quote:
Last year he improved slightly from his rookie season

He was more aggressive but other than that he went backwards.

Quote:
but there are still massive holes in his game. One is his shooting, at only 29 percent from three, the second is his play making is quite poor. Only 1.7 assists per game last season.

Can't finish either. I think his playmaking will be fine if he can ever hit open looks

Quote:
Exum’s main strength is on defense. At 6-foot-5 with long arms he has shown potential as a stopper and a perfect fit for Utah’s tough defense.

has to be able to defend without his hands

Quote:
This year newcomer Ricky Rubio will start, with Exum likely being the first point guard off the bench.

why is it likely? Neto has actually proven he can play at the NBA level and Mitchell is the future

Quote:
The good news is Exum has looked really good in the summer league. He has shown progress as an attacking guard who uses his length and quickness to get to the rim.

showed that 2 summers ago

Quote:
His ability to draw fouls will be the key to efficiency and success. Utah will struggle to score next year without Gordon Hayward and they need players to step up. Exum is one of the few players that has significant room to grow into the scorer Utah needs.

why foul him if he can't finish though? I don't see him as a scorer. He needs to be able to hit open shots though

Quote:
As long as he improves his shooting to respectable levels, then he can be at least an average offensive player, while being a major plus on defense. If not Exum will be out of Utah sooner than he would have liked.

and out of the league
Old 08-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #1058
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/08/17/...ing-departure/

on the money
Old 08-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #1059
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/08/19/uta...ard-2017-18/2/

Quote:
I feel like lots of people are forgetting just how good the rest of this Jazz team was last season.

I think most are forgetting how bad everyone outside Rudy and Hayward looked against GS. They needed to upgrade. They downgraded. Good bye Hayward

Quote:
Derrick Favors is due for a bounce back after an injury-plagued year.

but doesn't fit with Rudy and will be gone

Quote:
Rodney Hood is primed to break out as the Jazz’s go-to guy offensively.

but in reality is a 6th man

Quote:
Dante Exum has a ton to prove given his lack of playing time last season and reputation as a potential superstar.

due to sucking

Quote:
Ricky Rubio is getting a fresh start on a new team.

and doesn't fit

Quote:
Rudy Gobert gets to show what he can do as the heart and soul of the team.

shown it for 3 and half years. Funny that now he is being called their best player last year now that Hayward is gone

Quote:
Donovan Mitchell has the chance to prove the Jazz made the right call by trading up and drafting the rookie.

already shown that much

Quote:
Team should finally be healthy

the new firings are encouraging but they have some injury prone guys
Old 08-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #1060
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/08/18/uta...s-joe-johnson/

Quote:
Best Case Scenario

they're able to trade him for something

Quote:
Although Johnson was nearly flawless against the Clippers, he appeared to run out of gas in the subsequent series.

bad match-up
Old 08-19-2017, 05:26 PM   #1061
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://hoopshabit.com/2017/08/18/ut...io-dante-exum/

Quote:
With just two seasons under his belt, this season will be critical to see if he can make the jump as a full-time role player.

critical to stay in the league

Quote:
Exum rotated between second and fourth string last season behind Shelvin Mack and Raul Neto, and with the latter out and no injuries at the moment, the depth chart should be settled to begin the year.

Neto and Burks should be ahead of him at the 1 until he proves otherwise. At wing he's behind even more people

Quote:
Neto has been a more complete player thus far in their respective careers

wow someone noticed!

Quote:
Should the club commit to Exum long-term, this would presumably foreshadow the end of Rubio’s Utah career a couple years down the road, simply through financial constraint.

Exum has yet to prove he can play in the league or what position he will play

Quote:
the shooting ability of both is rather lackluster to make this work consistently.

Jazz seem to think that shooting doesn't matter anymore for some reason

Quote:
Rubio still has to prove that he’s worthy of a big extension. Luckily, he’ll have all the opportunity he needs next season, with a host of complementary players around him and no one who requires the ball in their hands to thrive.

Hood needs the ball.

Quote:
Perhaps playing in a less cramped offensive system with more competent teammates would expedite this even further.

won't be less cramped and he won't have his stretch 5 anymore
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #1062
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/08/20/uta...chell-starter/

Quote:
However, Ingles has shown that he is best-suited as a utility guy coming off the bench.

He has? He should have been starting all or last year. They finally did it at the end of the year. Hood is the one that has 6th man written all over him not their best shooter and perimeter defender and their 2nd highest paid player.

Quote:
Swiss journeyman Thabo Sefolosha also made his way to Salt Lake City this summer and could end up in the starting lineup if the Jazz elect to go all-out on the defensive end.

Probably makes more sense than Hood too.

Quote:
But Mitchell has something that neither Thabo or ‘Jingling Joe’ have, and he has it in spades — potential.

Why do you have Hood automatically starting though?

Quote:
Mitchell is an NBA-ready defender with animal-like instincts on D. If you don’t believe me, just ask Jayson Tatum of the Celtics.

ask a 19 year old rookie who also has proven nothing?

Quote:
Mitchell’s purpose on the court if he were to start at shooting guard would be to defend the second-best opposing guard, make his open shots, make the right reads on offense and be a willing passer. I think that he’s perfectly capable of doing that right now.

Has to prove he can hit open shots for sure!

Quote:
The biggest reason for Mitchell to start would be for him to get used to playing with the starters and for the Jazz to see how he blends in. As for the 2018-19 season, the Jazz brass may envision Mitchell as a starter alongside Hood. Since that could take some time to get used to, with Hood having to change positions and all, why not get it started early.

The biggest reason would be because he deserves it and it's best for the team now. I think him, Exum or Sefolosha could make the most sense alongside Ingles not Hood. The Jazz hope Exum and Mitchell are the future not Hood. Hood has a lot to prove before we talk about him in 19. He's not long enough for him to start at the 3 either. Could make sense there and hopefully the 4 eventually off the bench though

Quote:
So, if the Jazz can’t really do much to further their chances of winning a championship this upcoming season, one of the goals should be to give Mitchell the best possible chance to develop. And starting would push that along more than anything else.

Proving himself in the G-league might be. He might not be quite ready for the NBA. There is no reason to rush it and overwhelm him. They've made that mistake already with Burke, Exum, Lyles... Also Burks needs to play if healthy so they can trade him.

Quote:
I’m not expecting Mitchell to start right away as the season tips off, but I think it’s a real possibility as we get towards the All-Star break.

That makes more sense. The Jazz will look a lot different in February than they do right now I'm pretty sure of that. Gobert will be starting still and beyond that everything else should be up in the air
Old Today, 05:15 AM   #1063
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend

https://thejnotes.com/2017/08/20/uta...es-joe-ingles/

Quote:
Ingles averaged just 1.5 made threes per game in 2016-17 and if he’s going to help Utah make up for the loss of Hayward’s offense, he’ll likely have to be even more willing to pull the trigger and subsequently convert.

I don't see him getting as many open looks and he's not a guy that create his own offense. He's a role player and now a very expensive one. I don't think you can expect much more from him than last year if that

Quote:
Ingles’ best case scenario is that he begins the season as a starter and sets himself apart as clearly deserving that role all year long because of his exceptional shooting and feisty defense. To do that, he’ll have to not only log the aforementioned 10-12 points per game, but also continue to convert from deep at a clip of at least 40 percent.

He's not really a scorer. Maybe he can get more assists?

Quote:
Ingles more or less stole Rodney Hood’s starting gig near the end of last season

should have been there all year

Quote:
Ingles’ worst case scenario hardly seems likely given that he was a model of consistency last year and seems to have shown us pretty much exactly what he is.

and yet you're expecting him to be more than he is.

Quote:
The biggest way that Ingles could turn into a disappointment this season would be if without Hayward on the floor to play alongside, he ends up being exposed as little more than a role player, not a bona fide NBA starter.

I think he's a 3 and d guy that you can run the offense through at times. That's a starter. He's just not going to be able to do a lot more than last year if that because he's the one starter I'm guarding on the perimeter

Quote:
In a best case scenario, he’s likely playing around 30 minutes per game while logging double-figure scoring and upwards of 40 percent shooting from deep.

way too many minutes and points to expect from him. He's a role player
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: