Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #1
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Default Stats are inflated like in the NBA?

Even more so than in the NBA?

Yeah Brady just went for 500+ yards... and then so did Nick Foles. Or Ryan last year 350+ IIRC.

Sure Brady might be better now than 2001-2004 or so, he was very TO prone then, but games seemed to be lower scoring then.

I dont know many stats on this, just feels like it.

NBA stat inflation feels relatively slim in comparison.

Not saying Brady isnt spectacular for his age.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
CelticBaller
You mad?

Default Re: Stats are inflated like in the NBA?

There's also better competition, implementation of college schemes etc

The rules might have changed the passing game a little bit, but the stats around the same, you don't get the yards of a pass interference added into your stat total, only difference might be a few int added because you were allowed sometimes to mean mug the receiver

Look at the 90s, you had two sides of the coin. Steve Young putting 100+ passer rating seasons on the WCO, despite being shitty in earlier his career, Kurt Warner putting MVP numbers then being shit after the rule change, Peyton Manning put his best season ever in 2004, despite playing more games the years after.

Edit: In Brady place is was more of change of schemes, his first OC really believed in running the ball and short passes. When Josh McDaniels joined it went to vertical passes and slants/seams, when BOB joined it changed to short passes, play action, double TE sets, McDaniels came back and brought back the short passes, screens but with more emphasis on the seams and only recently added the deep ball

In short, the reason why the league spiked is because not only increase in talent, schemes and technology(being able to watch more film and better) but the rule changes also is the reason why the pass offense spiked

Last edited by CelticBaller : 02-06-2018 at 07:32 PM.
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

thanks for the explanation
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #4
CelticBaller
You mad?

Honestly the only QBs from the old league that would totally feast in today’s league would Young and Marino

Marino was a statue with a cannon of an arm, dude was worse than brady at avoiding sacks. In today’s game he would be delegated to short pases with his quick release. Lethal

Young was Aaron Rodgers lite, Montana I honestly don’t know because despite being a master of the WCO he never looked like Young and Young played in worse teams
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Even more so than in the NBA?

Yeah Brady just went for 500+ yards... and then so did Nick Foles. Or Ryan last year 350+ IIRC.

Sure Brady might be better now than 2001-2004 or so, he was very TO prone then, but games seemed to be lower scoring then.

I dont know many stats on this, just feels like it.

NBA stat inflation feels relatively slim in comparison.

Not saying Brady isnt spectacular for his age.

Ryan had under 300 yards and Foles had under 400 yards.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
Honestly the only QBs from the old league that would totally feast in todayís league would Young and Marino

Marino was a statue with a cannon of an arm, dude was worse than brady at avoiding sacks. In todayís game he would be delegated to short pases with his quick release. Lethal

Young was Aaron Rodgers lite, Montana I honestly donít know because despite being a master of the WCO he never looked like Young and Young played in worse teams

Romanowski, who was Montana's teammate for years, said that he didn't have strong enough arm to throw 30-40 passes a game, and that he was physically incapable of doing it consistently. So he said he didn't think he would transfer to today's game, like so many people say that "he would be better with today's rules".

He said something about how people don't understand that the West Coast Offense was scripted in a way that Montana didn't have to win games by throwing the ball a lot, and that was because his arm strength was quite limited, as he only had so many throws in him per game.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: