Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Go Spurs Go

Default The modern step back J is a TRAVEL and its horrible the league allows it

https://gfycat.com/HardtofindVeneratedBluejay

steps with the left foot - 1 step

-lands on both other feet - 2 steps

1+2 = THREE STEPS

youre supposed to step with the left foot and dribble at the SAME TIME, then land on 2 feet which equals TWO STEPS... but harden made this traveling play popular but i dont understand why the league allows it. other plays like derrick rose, john wall, etc have started to use it.. its clearly 3 steps

impossible to defend if you allow players to travel

Default Re: The modern step back J is a TRAVEL and its horrible the league allows it

This is a joke right?

Decent playground baller

Default Re: The modern step back J is a TRAVEL and its horrible the league allows it

okay a couple things now.

first off ill give you this much, in games i put that extra dribble you are talking about, and it makes it look much better than this pseudo skill laziness step back.

also, after that first left step, the landing is so quick that it can be considered a "jump step" and a net step of 1 step or 2 steps for the whole move.

that's why it's not technically a travel.

Is the player supposed to land on one foot and shoot?

a players two steps only come into it once he has gathered the ball, not after his final dribble.

there is a subtle distinction.

Go Spurs Go

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    a players two steps only come into it once he has gathered the ball, not after his final dribble.

there is a subtle distinction.
    he stops his dribble, takes a left step, then 2 steps landing... thats 3 steps

It's definitely a travel, but they allow it in the modern NBA. The definition of when a player has actually gathered their dribble has become looser and looser over the years.

Decent playground baller

When ending his dribble a player may use a two count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting.

If a player jumps off one foot on the count of one he may land with both feet simultaneously for count two. In this situation, the player may not pivot with either foot and if one or both feet leave the floor the ball must be released before either return to the floor.
    Source: http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

This is what Harden does, thus it is legal.

College superstar

So are most spin moves.

Decent college freshman

When ending his dribble a player may use a two count rhythm in coming to a stop.

Stop the dribble

Take first step

Take second step and stop and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    It's definitely a travel, but they allow it in the modern NBA. The definition of when a player has actually gathered their dribble has become looser and looser over the years.
    This.

I would call most (I wouldn't say all) step-back jumpers a travel back in the day, but not in recent times...

That's absolutely a travel but it's by no means the most obvious uncalled travel in the game. Watch lamarcus Aldridge post or tony Parker do his spin move some time. Both travel just about every time they do it

There is multiple travels every possession these days.

and don't get me started on carry violations

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    and don't get me started on carry violations
    This.

Also the travel that annoys me most and is never called is what I call the Jason Kidd travel. Catch the ball standing still, take 2 steps into a jumper without ever dribbling. That's absolutely a travel, a ton of people do it and it never gets called. I know you can take 2 steps without dribbling but that's only if you are moving when you catch the ball.