Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #16
macmac
Gov'n

Default Re: Just Saw Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
This movie was like Taxi Driver x Fight Club x The Machinist BUT

...with the goddam Joker.

Enough said.

Except all those movies are infinitely better, with the possible exception being the machinist .

I liked the movie, but the hand holding, spoon feeding and exposition required for the modern moviegoer to get it, takes away from the poignancy.

The incel/mass shooter controversy is also interesting. When making art, should you worry about what kind of societal issue it can incite? I was talking to a friend after the movie, and being a gambling man, established the odds of a mass shooting At a joker screening at 20%.
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I'll probably go see it monday.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #18
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullupJay
Oh oh oh O'rileys...auto parts

Wrong thread
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #19
tpols
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:

Enough said.

Seen all 3...gonna have to watch this.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #20
Facepalm
Decent college freshman

So when Batman begins his crime fighting career in his mid 20's..Joker is going to be 60 years old?
Facepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #21
Draz
The People's Choice

Haven't seen taxi driver or the machinist
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #22
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Except all those movies are infinitely better, with the possible exception being the machinist .

I liked the movie, but the hand holding, spoon feeding and exposition required for the modern moviegoer to get it, takes away from the poignancy.

The incel/mass shooter controversy is also interesting. When making art, should you worry about what kind of societal issue it can incite? I was talking to a friend after the movie, and being a gambling man, established the odds of a mass shooting At a joker screening at 20%.
How did it hand hold? Every scene kept contributing to his descent into madness. I felt like I knew what was going to happen but then they kept putting a twist on it before adding even more uneasiness. If it didnt make you feel uncomfortable then you must have balls of steel.

It's really not, it's people fear mongering and oversimplifying issues that they dont understand so they can feel good about themselves. Ironically, the main theme of the film shifts all over that notion. We should do more to prevent shit like that by trying to understand the less fortunate instead of casting them out of society from our moral high horse. Violent media and art doesn't cause violence, it's been constantly disproven and I'm tired of the shitheads using that as a talking point. Great art makes people feel the highest ranges of human emotion, especially if it makes you uncomfortable. Limit that and you start to limit human progress.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #23
ShawkFactory
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz
Yea you should probably watch taxi driver ASAP.

Machinist is good but TD is one of the GOATs. De Niroís best acting IMO.
ShawkFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #24
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac

I can see your perspective actually as far as maybe being a bit more subtle but like you said, has to suit the avg Joe. I wasn’t saying this movie is on par with Taxi Driver and the like, just def homages and thematically, was like all 3.

As for your concern for potential violence, yeah well where do we draw the line of what to screen, content wise? The MPAA always been a joke and it seems arbitrary exercise anyway. I’m very much on the side of free speech and artistic licensing being protected at all costs.

When well-circulated publications cease to put POV body cam shots on the front page of a lady about to have her life ended and going all the way back from the eerie Time cover of Columbine security footage of Klebold and Harris with Tek 9s. That’s reality. The truth is a lot of these psychos are more influenced by previous shootings than anything entertainment wise.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:56 PM   #25
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
Yea you should probably watch taxi driver ASAP.

Machinist is good but TD is one of the GOATs. De Niroís best acting IMO.

I have the sickest steel book blu-Ray
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 PM   #26
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:

Enough said.

You got me even more psyched to watch it now.

Last edited by TheMan : 10-04-2019 at 08:19 PM.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #27
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draz

Don't bother, you probably wouldn't get it anyways.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #28
TheMan
Repping mis Mexicanas!

My 9 year old wants to watch it... definitely a no?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #29
macmac
Gov'n

Quote:
I can see your perspective actually as far as maybe being a bit more subtle but like you said, has to suit the avg Joe. I wasnít saying this movie is on par with Taxi Driver and the like, just def homages and thematically, was like all 3.

As for your concern for potential violence, yeah well where do we draw the line of what to screen, content wise? The MPAA always been a joke and it seems arbitrary exercise anyway. Iím very much on the side of free speech and artistic licensing being protected at all costs.

When well-circulated publications cease to put POV body cam shots on the front page of a lady about to have her life ended and going all the way back from the eerie Time cover of Columbine security footage of Klebold and Harris with Tek 9s. Thatís reality. The truth is a lot of these psychos are more influenced by previous shootings than anything entertainment wise.

I like it when a movie can make me feel uneasy and uncomfortable. I think itís one of Jokerís biggest strengths.

I just think this movie can potentially incite violence in movie theatres. Thatís not a knock on the movie, itís a knock on American modern society.

Iím just saying for discussions sake, as a filmmaker, how does that come into play during the creative process. It has to be in the back of your mind
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #30
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
My 9 year old wants to watch it... definitely a no?
They wouldn't enjoy it as much because they're too young to understand complex themes the movie has. The movie isnt really violent until the last 1/3rd or so, it's more of a character study so don't expect John Wick or anything.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: