Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-09-2019, 05:00 PM   #31
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Default Re: Nolan Batman Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
Didn't even mention the part where Bruce inexplicably got past the military blockade to get back into Gotham after Bane left him in the pit.

And he got back pretty quickly at that.

Quote:
It's definitely the weakest of the trilogy. The opening scene is still amazing tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQpJHmo8nE

It was good for sure.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 PM   #32
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
It's definitely the weakest of the trilogy. The opening scene is still amazing tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYQpJHmo8nE

I'm so glad I clicked on that link. It was an over-dub of that scene and I straight up spit my drink out at the part where he says...

"It doesn't matter who we ar--ahahahaehehahahahaah."

Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #33
ROCSteady
One of One

the Dark Knight Rises is def a mixed bag yet it is better than most movies that come out.

Things I love: -

everything about Bane, he was awesome. A couple goofy disconnects between ADR and Hardy's acting but just nitpicking.

The introduction of Catwoman, scene at the mansion was great. She progressively gets worse as the movie goes on

The metaphor of the Pit, sure it was on the nose but still works very well with the score and whatnot. "Why do we fall Bruce?" Really cool symmetry

Bane and Batman's sewer fight was badass. Love Bane's dialogue, him climbing down the chains, breaking back/ mask. It was great

The resolution was very affective and emotional for a Batman movie. I love how they ended this trilogy.

Things I hate:

The pacing in the second act, it really gets bogged down when Gotham goes under martial law. Nothing dynamic happens and it's particularly boring when you consider the other subplot (Bruce imprisoned) is very stagnant as well. Together, the pacing just seems longer than it should

How Bane turned into Talia's crony. He was such a badass with his conviction and plan for revolution but the just is revealed to be some submissive love-struck puppy, complete with tears and everything smh.

The final fight with Bane and Batman was lame. I agree with the poster who said the fight choreography was bad, particularly in this scene but the first encounter was great.

How Blake connects Bruce Wayne to Batman, pretty lame. It would have been better if he SUSPECTED Bruce of being Batman at the orphanage his whole life then finding out as a cop concretely that he was right.

The stupid aerial Bat vehicle, The Bat Lobster. Worst Batman vehicle ever, hated the design.

I also thought it was LOL that apparently Batman has been inactive for 8 years, all banged up and not fit to be Batman anymore but straps a Wayne Enterprise R&D knee brace on and kicks through concrete walls
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #34
red1
raptors

I watch batman begins every year have owned countless copies on dvd and blu ray watched it several times in the theater given it away etc.

it's a yearly tradition for me - I've watched it on every drug known to mankind watched it drunk watched it stoned watched it on shrooms watched it on synthetic psychedelics etc etc. the only thing I haven't done is watch it while getting my dick sucked which I will also arrange sometime in the future.

it is the greatest movie of all time for me alongside jurassic park and the matrix.
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #35
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1
I watch batman begins every year have owned countless copies on dvd and blu ray watched it several times in the theater given it away etc.

it's a yearly tradition for me - I've watched it on every drug known to mankind watched it drunk watched it stoned watched it on shrooms watched it on synthetic psychedelics etc etc. the only thing I haven't done is watch it while getting my dick sucked which I will also arrange sometime in the future.

it is the greatest movie of all time for me alongside jurassic park and the matrix.
sammichoffate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #36
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Bane and Batman's sewer fight was badass. Love Bane's dialogue, him climbing down the chains, breaking back/ mask. It was great

I can't agree... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ&t=70s

There are so many things wrong with that fight. For one, Bruce is a highly skilled and precise fighter, yet he telegraphs half of his strikes and punches, lets Bane monologue while they fight, and ultimately gets felled by a punch that obviously never connects. It's a mess.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #37
Stephonit
High School Starter

Spider-Man 2 > The Dark Knight
Stephonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:14 PM   #38
JEFFERSON MONEY
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

The unfolding of a man with a messed up past--confronting his fears under the mentorship of a master Arabian ninja and coming out---transformed, better than ever to reclaim guardianship of his precious city.

Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY : 10-10-2019 at 06:32 PM.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:19 PM   #39
highwhey
Valley Boyz

Quote:

highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #40
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
I can't agree... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDuetklFtDQ&t=70s

There are so many things wrong with that fight. For one, Bruce is a highly skilled and precise fighter, yet he telegraphs half of his strikes and punches, lets Bane monologue while they fight, and ultimately gets felled by a punch that obviously never connects. It's a mess.

I'll give you that. The scene is great thematically though. Monologues during confrontations are just a movie trope. In this case, it's awesome and it works for me.

"OH, you think the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it."
Old 10-11-2019, 12:17 AM   #41
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
I'll give you that. The scene is great thematically though. Monologues during confrontations are just a movie trope. In this case, it's awesome and it works for me.

"OH, you think the darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it."

Yeah... he was standing right behind him in the dark and made no move to strike as Bane monologued. He threw smoke pellets at Bane that did nothing. He incessantly kept attacking instead of gathering himself and strategizing as to how best to defeat him.

I don't fault anyone for liking it; I loved it in theaters. But the more I see it, the more incredulous I become at how poorly the fight was choreographed and executed.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #42
ROCSteady
One of One

Well by that point, he wasn't really the Batman that was ready for all of that.

He was a broken person, mentally physically spiritually. One could attribute maybe emotions getting the best of him, I dunno.

Don't ruin it, b!tch lmao
Old 10-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #43
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Lol, I know, I know... just saying what I see. There's no doubt there are great aspects to the movie. I'm a huge Batman fan, so I'm appreciative of the effort and some of the elements they included. But man... sigh...
Old 10-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #44
ROCSteady
One of One

Haha I feel you. I def understand why a lot of fans have major gripes. It's not as immersive as the other films either. It doesn't really transport you there to Gotham in a suspension of disbelief. It has the weakness of "feeling" that this is a movie set.

One thing that weakens TDK, in fact, is the tone and atmosphere changed so much for the feel of Gotham. BB was perfect in its depiction, kind of a neo-noir feelish setting as opposed to Burton's more Gothic Expressionist take.

Gotham felt like Chicago TDK on, kinda lazy. Dress it up a bit Nolan, cmon
Old 10-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #45
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
One thing that weakens TDK, in fact, is the tone and atmosphere changed so much for the feel of Gotham. BB was perfect in its depiction, kind of a neo-noir feelish setting as opposed to Burton's more Gothic Expressionist take.

Gotham felt like Chicago TDK on, kinda lazy. Dress it up a bit Nolan, cmon

True... and perhaps it was just the chosen sets the lighting... but it was certainly a different feel. But I thoroughly enjoy TDK.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: