Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #151
CelticBaller
Killer Instinct

Default Re: Joe Montana or Tom Brady? Who ya got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
I just saw some old SB's of the 80's and have to admit Montana comes across as more impressive than Brady....

picture perfect LONG throws... game winning TD drives opposed to Brady's short passing leading to game winning FIELD GOAL drives.
Montana had the GOAT receiver and a stacked team

Watch Brady play in 2007 if you want to see the same
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:39 PM   #152
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Why does Montana have such a slanted resume?

Like Hakeem. Bunch of titles and bunch of first round exits or no playoffs?

From the looks of it it would be hard to blame Montana for those. Such instability would more reasonably have to do with the unit than him as individual.
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #153
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticBaller
Montana had the GOAT receiver and a stacked team

Watch Brady play in 2007 if you want to see the same

I'll try to watch some right now. Weirdly enough I might be enjoying the NFL more than football or basketball right now nothing going right in there
Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 PM   #154
CelticBaller
Killer Instinct

Because making the playoffs in the NFL is hard af, let alone make the superbowl which is why Brady and Bill making it is more impressive?

Also the 49ers were the yankees of the NFL, dudes had stacked talent top to bottom and even his backup went to the HOF
Old 02-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #155
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
Belichick coached a bad game in this super bowl, but he owned Montana everytime they played each other in the playoffs. Check out the numbers, Montana didn't do squat when he played the Giants in the playoffs, Montana and the 49ers offense managed to get a total of 3 points in '85, 3 points in '86, and 13 points in '90 in his playoff games vs Belichick and the Giants.

Montana was also BENCHED in a playoff game in '87 vs the Vikings because he was so bad. Since this happened 30+ years ago people tend to not know about stuff like this, but can you imagine Brady getting benched in a playoff game? ESPN, social media, & this message board would clown on Brady for months.

It's not even a discussion, Brady passed Montana when he beat the Seahawks in the super bowl a few years ago, everything he has done since has just added to his legacy.

Quote:
I obviously have seen little footage overall here.

This is just the impression I have. Montana impresses me more with his long throws than Brady. Seems to take more risks and is more accurate.

He probably seems more accurate to you since the 49ers ran a WCO, an offense that stresses for short & accurate throws. Also having Jerry Rice can make you look pretty damn unstoppable, just look how unstoppable Brady & Moss looked in that '07 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQ8B1i_4Po (quality sucks, but you get the point)
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #156
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
He probably seems more accurate to you since the 49ers ran a WCO, an offense that stresses for short & accurate throws. Also having Jerry Rice can make you look pretty damn unstoppable, just look how unstoppable Brady & Moss looked in that '07 season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQ8B1i_4Po (quality sucks, but you get the point)

But Brady is the one is is 0-13 on passes traveling 20+ yards in the two Giants Super Bowl's.

In his first 5 SB's, only one of his nine TD's was 10 yards or longer (12).
Old 02-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #157
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
But Brady is the one is is 0-13 on passes traveling 20+ yards in the two Giants Super Bowl's.

In his first 5 SB's, only one of his nine TD's was 10 yards or longer (12).
Brady was 35 of 70 on deep throws for 1,164 yards, 11 TDs & 1 INT in 2016, impressive numbers. Don't know what the numbers looked like in 2017.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #158
1987_Lakers
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Why does Montana have such a slanted resume?

You can pretty much say that about any QB in history besides Brady and maybe Bradshaw & Aikman. There is more parity in the NFL than the NBA.

The Jags just made the AFC championship game this year after sucking the year before, that's like the Suns making the WCF next season.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #159
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
I just saw some old SB's of the 80's and have to admit Montana comes across as more impressive than Brady....

picture perfect LONG throws... game winning TD drives opposed to Brady's short passing leading to game winning FIELD GOAL drives.

Montana never played as well as Brady did in the last 2 Super Bowls.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #160
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Montana didn't even play in the NFL salary cap era.

See how stacked the Patriots are now? Imagine how stacked they would have been if they kept all the players they had to lose over the years. They'd be unstoppable. I bet Montana wouldn't have had 4 rings if the 49ers as an organization had to let a guy like Ronnie Lot and an other defensive anchor leave as Montana and Rice would have commanded significant cap space.

And Brady has put up the three GOAT SB performances these past SB's. Some of y'all are just idiots. If you're gonna take a shot at him you can do so by calling him a awkward ******* who likes avocados but to discredit him as anything other than the GOAT playing wise is just slander.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #161
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
You can pretty much say that about any QB in history besides Brady and maybe Bradshaw & Aikman. There is more parity in the NFL than the NBA.

The Jags just made the AFC championship game this year after sucking the year before, that's like the Suns making the WCF next season.

this is what I wondered.

Even the Eagles sucked a year ago, right? Or two years ago at least.

Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Montana didn't even play in the NFL salary cap era.

See how stacked the Patriots are now? Imagine how stacked they would have been if they kept all the players they had to lose over the years. They'd be unstoppable. I bet Montana wouldn't have had 4 rings if the 49ers as an organization had to let a guy like Ronnie Lot and an other defensive anchor leave as Montana and Rice would have commanded significant cap space.

And Brady has put up the three GOAT SB performances these past SB's. Some of y'all are just idiots. If you're gonna take a shot at him you can do so by calling him a awkward ******* who likes avocados but to discredit him as anything other than the GOAT playing wise is just slander.

saying Brady might be the GOAT or might not be, is slander?

Weird people
Old 02-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #162
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
this is what I wondered.

Even the Eagles sucked a year ago, right? Or two years ago at least.

Weird

saying Brady might be the GOAT or might not be, is slander?

Weird people

Saying that Brady isn't the GOAT is slander. You gotta be a dumbass to think otherwise. There's no argument.

If you're gonna take a shot at him take a shot at his personality and how he's kinda weird for a superstar. He doesn't have the same personality as the other superstars in world sports like Ronaldo, McGregor, Lebron, etc. Messi is quiet but he's not weird. Brady is the kind of guy that I wouldn't be surprised is in a cult.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #163
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Montana's greatest asset was his clutch factor. Even in that, Brady's career has easily lapped Montana's.

Most game-winning drives by a starting QB (regular season):

1. Peyton Manning - 56

2. Tom Brady - 53

3. Dan Marino - 51

4. John Elway - 46

5. Brett Favre - 45

Most game-winning drives by a starting QB (playoffs):

1. Tom Brady - 11

2. John Elway - 6

3. Eli Manning - 5

3. Joe Montana - 5

Most game-winning drives by a starting QB (regular season and playoffs):

1. Tom Brady - 64

2. Peyton Manning - 58

3. Dan Marino - 55

4. John Elway - 52

5. Brett Favre - 47

5. Ben Roethlisberger - 47

5. Drew Brees - 47

Most 4th quarter comeback wins by a starting QB (regular season):

1. Peyton Manning - 45

2. Tom Brady - 42

3. Dan Marino - 36

3. Johnny Unitas - 36

5. John Elway - 35

Most 4th quarter comeback wins by a starting QB (playoffs):

1. Tom Brady - 8

2. Joe Montana - 5

3. Terry Bradshaw - 4

3. John Elway - 4

3. Eli Manning - 4

3. Russell Wilson - 4

Most 4th quarter comeback wins by a starting QB (regular season and playoffs):

1. Tom Brady - 50

2. Peyton Manning - 47

3. Dan Marino - 39

3. John Elway - 39

5. Johnny Unitas - 38

TOTAL:

1. Tom Brady - 114

2. Peyton Manning - 105

3. Dan Marino - 94

4. John Elway - 91

5. Ben Roethlisberger - 82

6. Johnny Unitas - 80

7. Drew Brees - 79

8. Eli Manning - 79

9. Brett Favre - 79

10. Joe Montana - 74
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #164
JBSptfn
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImKobe
Are you trolling or do you think you're being funny?

Peyton only has his 2 SB rings due to his defense, look up his production during these 2 runs, look up what happened when the team relied on his offense during his record-shattering year in 2013. Brady has constantly had to make up for garbage defenses and no-name receivers, his O-line has been bad on so many occasions, it's always a bunch of random guys and it only gets him so far.

Peyton was a great RS QB but give me one great Playoff run from him that you could even mention among Brady's best. How many times did he come through for his team to carry them to a championship?

I am not trolling or being funny. I have watched the Pats a lot the last 12 years, and I see them getting away with holding a lot of the time.

And, I don't think that Brady has had bad O-lines all the time. In the 2000's and the early part of this decade, the lines were generally good for the most part. It wasn't until 2013 (when they traded Mankins away) that it went downhill (but they have played better the last two years with Scarnecchia's return).

As for Tom's receivers, he has had an elite guy to throw to since 2007 (Moss, then Gronk). He also has had players that are perfect for their passing system, like Welker, Edelman, Dion Lewis, and Amendola. To say that he has been devoid of weapons is crazy.

And, while Peyton did win two rings because of his D, he also has come up short because of a lack of defense (or a defensive error like in 2012 with the Rahim Moore mistake. That was after Peyton put the Broncos ahead with under a minute to play).

Tom Brady has never had anything like that happen. He seems to get more than his fair share of breaks (Tuck Rule, John Kasay, McCree, Lee Evans, etc....). You Brady lovers don't talk about that, though. It messes up your "Brady is God" narrative.
JBSptfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:48 AM   #165
CelticBaller
Killer Instinct

Lmao this is how I how your bullshitting

Brady had a bad o line in 2005 and 2006
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: