Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-15-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

Default Lakers sign Shawn Marion 2009??

Ok... so Shawn Marion is gonna be a free agent after this season...I think the Lakers would be wise to sign him to a 5 year deal ( 5 years, 100 million). As the team is currently constructed, they could backload some of the deal and still be under the luxury tax for the next 5 years... I would LOVE a 2009 lakers team of

PG- Fisher / Farmar
SG- KOBE
SF- Shawn Marion
PF- ODOM
C- Bynum

This would allow Ariza and Walton to play the roles they belong ( 20-22 MPG bench players for energy off bench)

I actually think Marion would be perfect because he is a guy who doesn't handle the ball/ need the ball to create shots...he is basically a guy who gets points from 3 pointers and dunks/putbacks.... I also love he is a GREAT rebounder for his size and he is very versatile ( i.e. SF or PF if needed) Not to mention he averages 1-2 steals AND blocks per game... I think this would make us the best team in the West in 2009.... THOUGHTS?
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Default Re: Lakers sign Shawn Marion 2009??

We will be broke by then. Need to resign Bynum.

We have the big salaries of Odom/Kobe/Bynum to deal with.. not Marion too!
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
We will be broke by then. Need to resign Bynum.

We have the big salaries of Odom/Kobe/Bynum to deal with.. not Marion too!

you can tell by his user_name that he is a bulls fan...and is making fun.....
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

the thread creator has already lost credibility as he finds it suitable to pay a 2nd or third option 20 million a year....and some of the posters in here are already afraid to pay Bynum 75 million for 5 years.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
the thread creator has already lost credibility as he finds it suitable to pay a 2nd or third option 20 million a year....and some of the posters in here are already afraid to pay Bynum 75 million for 5 years.

So yu would rather they hold onto the mone and remain a 5th seed? The goal is to win a championship and make Kobe happy... signing Marion would have a good chance to obtain both goals.. also, Odom comes off the books after next season and the Lakers have about 15 million under Luxury tax next year...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

If we could swap Odom for Marion I'd do it.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
ROSE > THAN YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
If we could swap Odom for Marion I'd do it.

Odom has one year left...do you really think ONE year of Odom in 2009 will somehow cripple this team??? If anything it's perfect because Lakers would become #1 team in West ( Suns loss is Lakers gain). I could care less how much money Jerry Buss has in his pocket... I want championships...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
amfirst
Great college starter

The Laks are good enough to win a ring, when Bynum becomes unstopable in a year or two. He's already been dominating teams. If Laks don't win this year, they would have a better chance next year. Now they only need to get role players.

This team has the chance to be better than Shaq and Kobe. The bench is way better than the Lakers 3 peat team. Plus, Kobe now is better than Kobe then, and I really believe Bynum will become a better player than Shaq, just not as powerfull, but powerful enough. On top of that he has better and more consitant offense moves than Shaq. Bynums only weakness is his experiance. He's showing that he is up there with the best players n only 20 years old. In no time he will catch up w/ prime Shaq by the way he's progressing.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Erathia
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfirst
The Laks are good enough to win a ring, when Bynum becomes unstopable in a year or two. He's already been dominating teams. If Laks don't win this year, they would have a better chance next year. Now they only need to get role players.

This team has the chance to be better than Shaq and Kobe. The bench is way better than the Lakers 3 peat team. Plus, Kobe now is better than Kobe then, and I really believe Bynum will become a better player than Shaq, just not as powerfull, but powerful enough. On top of that he has better and more consitant offense moves than Shaq. Bynums only weakness is his experiance. He's showing that he is up there with the best players n only 20 years old. In no time he will catch up w/ prime Shaq by the way he's progressing.

Ok, while I agree that the Lakers are a contender this year with a young healthy Bynum, please let us NEVER compare Bynum to prime-Shaq. Shaq is the most dominating center of this era and one of the most dominating of all time. Bynum is a young kid that has proofed nothing so far (though improving nicely). This is exactly the comparison that PJax has been trying to downplay and keep Bynum with a level head. Let the poor kid prove something before we compare him to one of the all-time greats.
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #10
and1
High School Varsity 6th Man

your post is ridiculous amfirst,

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfirst
This team has the chance to be better than Shaq and Kobe. The bench is way better than the Lakers 3 peat team.

whaaat? better than the 3peat bench?! bynum/kobe better than shaq+kobe?! noooooooooooo way, dude they won 3 CONSECUTIVE rings...

Quote:
Plus, Kobe now is better than Kobe then,
true

Quote:
and I really believe Bynum will become a better player than Shaq, just not as powerfull, but powerful enough. On top of that he has better and more consitant offense moves than Shaq.
did you even watch shaq in his prime?! i dont think anyone can come close to that again...

Quote:
In no time he will catch up w/ prime Shaq by the way he's progressing.
if he is 85 % of shaq prime in 4 years, then thats very impressive
and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
So yu would rather they hold onto the mone and remain a 5th seed? The goal is to win a championship and make Kobe happy... signing Marion would have a good chance to obtain both goals.. also, Odom comes off the books after next season and the Lakers have about 15 million under Luxury tax next year...

No,

The goal is for the fans to be satisfied and by doing that we need to win a championship. Overpaying for a third option caliber player will cripple us and won't allow us to pursue better suited free agents for this team.

Fukc Kobe at this point if he doesn't like the moves or lackthereof thats been happening. We already heard his opinion and we've been moving in the right direction the whole time.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Pax you need a lesson on how the cap works.

The Lakes could not do it even if they wanted to. They are already over the cap for next season and therefor cannot sign ANY player to more than the midlevel exception which will be probably around 5.5 to 6mil a year and Marion wont sign for that. Being over the cap next includes the fact that Kwames 9 mil falls off.

The only way they could pull that off is with a sign and trade deal with Phoenix. You'd have to send out about 15 mil in salaries and give the Suns pieces they wanted. It just is not going to happen. It would be nearly impossible to have Kobe/Odom/Marion on the team as they would account for 53 mil of a probable 55 mil cap. I'd much rather have Kobe/Bynum/and any thri

The cap makes it complicated to build a championship team.

Even if the Lakers could get Mario, I think he is way overrated in my opinion. Without Steve Nash he is a good player instead of an allstar.

I'm going to have to start a cap info thread lol.

oh and and Laker Freak you have a great point....screw Kobe. We've had great players come and go through the years, West, Baylor, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Shaq and now the crybaby Kobe. NO player will ever hold the Lakers hostage. If he's not happy he can walk at the end of his contract. This wont be the end of the line of great players that play for the Lakers. As a matter of fact we might be witnessing the begining of that next great player in Bynum.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: