Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default This must be said: The Wire is overrated

I've been waiting to watch this show for years. The hype around this around the inter webs had me salivating.

"GOAT show!!!" many typed around the webs.

Patton Oswalt even wrote an entire article on AintItCool proclaiming his adoration for the show.

Posters quoted Wire lines, used 'Avon' and Stringer as their board handles with Avatars of their fav characters. Even some here have proclaimed it to be better than Sopranos, the best show ever!!!

I was anxiously anticipating to watch it, and I was let down.

Cliche, cliche, cliche.

Acting was good, rarely great. The big bad drug dealers were not, nothing original, nothing groundbreaking, nothing spectacular, shit

High School Varsity 6th Man The Real JW's Avatar

Default Re: This must be said: The Wire is overrated

Agreed.

I've only watched seasons 1 and 2 and wasn't blown away by it, but I've been told that it gets better. I still don't have any huge motivation to continue watching it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thornton
    further proof that andgar is not only the worst poster of all time, but worst human of all time
    damn

Imagine once a year, every city/town in the world submitted their nominations to the UN for the world's worst human being. And each year one person would be given that title.

Eh it was too slow and boring for me, like a parody of a gritty dramatic crime series instead of a real one. Not as bad as Breaking Bad though.

From the HBO series I liked Oz the most, had more of a flavor and personality. Better humor, acting and entertainment value.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Eh it was too slow and boring for me, like a parody of a gritty dramatic crime series instead of a real one. Not as bad as Breaking Bad though.

From the HBO series I liked Oz the most, had more of a flavor and personality. Better humor, acting and entertainment value.
    BB has some shaky writing but even then, it's better than Wire.

Shit, the acting on BB alone trumps anything on Wire, with ease.

Omar being the scariest character on Wire

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I never watched Lost, but when you think Breaking Bad, The Wire, and The Sopranos aren't very good the problem isn't the shows.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    BB has some shaky writing but even then, it's better than Wire.

Shit, the acting on BB alone trumps anything on Wire, with ease.

Omar being the scariest character on Wire
    Well Breaking Bad had some completely retarded moments.

Like the Mexican drug lord's mansion with only like 1-2 guards, no people on the rooftop with machine guns or no small army around the house. Gus just walks in, poisons everyone and walks out like nothing happened.

Or the billionaire chicken chain owner only having around 2-8 bodyguards, that one Mexican sniper coming in and scaring him all by himself by ambushing his shipments and shooting at his laundry spot.

The show had big time "bosses" that operated like local drug dealers, was hard to believe they are some hardcore guys making 100+ million like nothing.

And the school teacher ends up outsmarting all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Well Breaking Bad had some completely retarded moments.

Like the Mexican drug lord's mansion with only like 1-2 guards, no people on the rooftop with machine guns or no small army around the house. Gus just walks in, poisons everyone and walks out like nothing happened.

Or the billionaire chicken chain owner only having around 2-8 bodyguards, that one Mexican sniper coming in and scaring him all by himself by ambushing his shipments and shooting at his laundry spot.

The show had big time "bosses" that operated like local drug dealers, was hard to believe they are some hardcore guys making 100+ million like nothing.

And the school teacher ends up outsmarting all of them?
    Not so.

Even then, Gus was an invited guest along with others from the cartel who also had their bodyguards. It isn't rare to see a home with minimal bodyguards in small towns like those, because they're very secluded for starters.

Gus didn't walk out like nothing happened. YES he poisoned basically everybody, but he had a shootout, but even then, most were already poisoned or shot.

But he wasn't a 'Billionaire' chain owner. It also common to see millionaires walk around with no bodyguards. Either way, Mike or somebody else was always with him. Remember, only very few knew of his power. The Mexican cartel for the most part had his back, it was only when things went bad that he was in any danger and he was well protected then.

Freedom of speech is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Not so.

Even then, Gus was an invited guest along with others from the cartel who also had their bodyguards. It isn't rare to see a home with minimal bodyguards in small towns like those, because they're very secluded for starters.

Gus didn't walk out like nothing happened. YES he poisoned basically everybody, but he had a shootout, but even then, most were already poisoned or shot.

But he wasn't a 'Billionaire' chain owner. It also common to see millionaires walk around with no bodyguards. Either way, Mike or somebody else was always with him. Remember, only very few knew of his power. The Mexican cartel for the most part had his back, it was only when things went bad that he was in any danger and he was well protected then.
    There wasn't a "shootout", Gus, Mike and Jessy walked out and Jessy shot just ONE GUY! Then they left in the car. There is no way the biggest drug lord in Mexico would be that defenseless.

He was almost a billionaire, when Jessy and Walter talked about their 3 month deal, they did the math and I think said Gus was gonna have like 250+ million worth of meth after those 3 months, if you add his chicken chain and near decade of meth business you get a very very very rich drug lord in control of all meth distribution in the East/South.

The fact there were so few henchmen and bodyguards in that billion dollar business wasn't realistic, Gus and the Mexican guy were basically Pablo Escobars in the show yet they never displayed their power or influence. The show just feels like a budget series going for big time scale but not really giving you that sense. If the show was done by HBO instead of AMC I am sure the set pieces and all the events would be much more refined.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Freedom of speech is overrated.
    minus of speech
    agreed

OP reminds me of dumbasses who have watched second hand stupid rip offs all their life that when they watch something actually original they find it cliche. Never realizing what they found original and non-cliche are actually cheap copies of the real thing.
    PS: andgar923 is so cool.

Not enough Apple product placement in the Wire.

So basically, you listened to other people and then raised your expectations to an unattainable level? The show wasn't the problem. I'd say your level of expectations was probably the problem. IMO, that's not the correct frame of mind to go in to watching a show (or pretty much anything for that matter). I'd say it's certainly your loss if you're going to give up on the show without giving it a real chance. Sit back, relax and try to enjoy the effing show instead of trying to nitpick stupid things like a contrarian.