Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Playoffs? Playoffs!!! Mississippi's Avatar

Question Anyone good at making thesis statements?

I need a good thesis statement to start my paper on Nelson Mandela but can't think of anything good. I turned in several samples to my teacher and all she said was, "that's not good enough". I'm starting to get frustrated. Can anyone help me with this?

Banned

Default Re: Anyone good at making thesis statements?

well your topic is mandela but what is it about ? his life? his accomplishments?

Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi
    I need a good thesis statement to start my paper on Nelson Mandela but can't think of anything good. I turned in several samples to my teacher and all she said was, "that's not good enough". I'm starting to get frustrated. Can anyone help me with this?
    well...it would help if you told us what in particular you are writing about.

On his life as a whole. Accomplishments, imprisonment, Early Life, etc.

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

Could u please tell us the theses that you submitted so we know what won't work?
    Last edited by crounsa810; 01-17-2009 at 12:48 AM.

National High School Star crounsa810's Avatar

Not knowing what your teacher wants, I was always taught to keep your thesis simple and to the point. Maybe something like "While Nelson Mandela had to endure many struggles, in the end he came out victorious." or something along those lines.

Unlike most people during this time, Nelson Mandela never stopped fighting. His heart and courage seperated him from everyone else.

if i remember correctly a thesis is what your trying to prove in the essay right? so just write out in a sentence what the essay is about..

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    Unlike most people during this time, Nelson Mandela never stopped fighting. His heart and courage seperated him from everyone else.
    This is a very lacking and general statement. You have to put an assertive claim to make anything interesting; the same is met with a basic thesis statement. Who cares if he separated from everyone else? I'd care if his heart and courage, perhaps, made him known as the most prolific scorer in NBA history. Introduce some sort of argumentative claim and try to prove it. (yes, that's a fallacious example)

Quote Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
    This is a very lacking and general statement. You have to put an assertive claim to make anything interesting; the same is met with a basic thesis statement. Who cares if he separated from everyone else? I'd care if his heart and courage, perhaps, made him known as the most prolific scorer in NBA history. Introduce some sort of argumentative claim and try to prove it. (yes, that's a fallacious example)

Well I'm not the one writing the essay, at least I tried

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Something along the lines of what crounsa and enayes and nexxus said.

"Despite the many obstacle Nelson Mandela faced, he was able to fight through them with courage and heart to accomplish something far greater than himself."

I don't know much about the dude but I assumed he did something real special for discrimination in South Africa.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

You need to create an argument in a thesis statement (as explained above). Think about Mandela's life and figure out a specific area in which you want to explore. Whether it be the discrimination he has faced, his time in prison, his rise to political power...

You need to pick something specific or your thesis statement and your paper will likely be all over the map and far too broad for what your professor is seeking.

When developing your thesis and the position that you will attempt to prove, use things like cause and effect or contrast to create a relationship thesis (always the easiest, imo).

If you narrow down your field of study on the subject and focus your attention on one aspect of his life, we could probably better assist you in creating a proper thesis statement. But, it doesn't sound to me as though you are ready to write a thesis.

A thesis isn't the first step in writing a thesis paper. Study Mandela's life and find conflicts, situations that occurred during the course of his life that led to his incarceration/accomplishments. Narrow it down.

Thanks for the help guys.

Odomize
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

how about quoting someone?

Mandela's life can be summed up perhaps by what a young South African girl told Mandela on his 90th birthday: "Dear Madiba, on your happy day, we thank you for uniting the people of our country, so that all children can grow up together, never mind what language they speak or color they may be. Happy 90th birthday."

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Odomize
    how about quoting someone?

Mandela's life can be summed up perhaps by what a young South African girl told Mandela on his 90th birthday: "Dear Madiba, on your happy day, we thank you for uniting the people of our country, so that all children can grow up together, never mind what language they speak or color they may be. Happy 90th birthday."
    I always thought quoting someone was very typical. It always felt like the easy way out since you couldn't think of anything yourself.