Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #346
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2019-20 season - Been waiting two decades for this one!

https://thejnotes.com/2019/12/03/gam...gainst-lakers/

Quote:
Utah will continually work Dante Exum and Ed Davis back into the rotation, as they are back from their injuries. I’m guessing Exum is on a minutes restriction and still getting into tip top shape, and by spring time we will see at least 15 minutes per game out of the Aussie.

They've already said Exum isn't restricted. The coach seems to have finally gotten a clue. To think he's the answer to their woes!

Quote:
Even though this is technically a home game for Utah, they will be less than 48 hours removed from the major interruption of the long road trip, and it may not feel like a home game to them. The Lakers will probably have the best two players on the court for much of the game, and unfortunately I think that will be too much for the blue, green and gold. I’m predicting the Jazz will lose by a few possessions, the final score will roughly be 104 to 96.

oh yeah I forgot first game back from road trup like road game!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #347
Xiao Yao You

Eric Walden: Rudy Gobert said the level of criticism the Jazz faced after their poor road trip was a bit overboard: “It’s too early for that stuff.” Also acknowledged that while going 1-4 was not ideal, “We figured out some stuff.” pic.twitter.com/lxLTX1teUY – via Twitter tribjazz
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #348
Xiao Yao You

Andy Larsen: Juwan Morgan is also listed as out for tonight’s game vs. Lakers, as a result, Jarrell Brantley has been called up tonight. – via Twitter andyblarsen
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #349
Xiao Yao You

Mike Trudell: For tonight’s back-to-back at Utah, Frank Vogel said he’d consider starting Anthony Davis at center – which worked well in the second half of LAL’s Oct. 25 home win to pull Rudy Gobert away from the rim – but he didn’t think they’d make the move to start. – via Twitter LakersReporter
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #350
Xiao Yao You

Eric Walden: Lakers coach Frank Vogel said he expects both Anthony Davis and Kyle Kuzma to play tonight. He said they’ve got cold-like symptoms, and will be closely monitored. – via Twitter tribjazz
Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #351
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/the-downbeat...les-dante-exum

Quote:
Well, most of the failures of the bench fall on the shoulders of Utah’s second-most tenure player, Joe Ingles. The Aussie’s move to the bench was heralded not as a step backward, but as a mere step sideways that would leave him as a potential sixth man of the year candidate. What has happened instead is a drop-off to Ingles’ worst year as a pro.

I'd say it's more on Mitchell's hero ball. Snyder and the front office need to figure it out asap though

Quote:
It’s totally fair to say that our farm system is not creating all the gems we were hoping for though. Not as good as Bohler and others would want us to believe.

Posted by Big_B on Dec 4, 2019 | 6:04 PM

Yep one look at Toronto makes me laugh when they try to see how great the Jazz are at development!
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #352
Xiao Yao You

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2019/...angeles-lakers

Quote:
Personally, I think I’ve always thought that Davis at the 5 works better but Lebron James changes that. Because James and Davis draw so much attention it opens things up for JaVale McGee and Dwight Howard. And because Lebron James is such a good passer it’s easy pickings on a lot of possessions.

We'll see. Someone is going to take advantage of how big they are playing at the other end. Long season ahead still

Quote:
Tonight Quin Snyder decided to switch up the starters with Mike Conley out and he put Jeff Green on Anthony Davis. Davis went 9/11 from the floor. It appears that strategy might not be a good one.

Rudy should have been on him or Lebron

Quote:
Utah has an easier schedule coming up and it’s now or never for them to start figuring it out.

not quite now or never but harder to come up with excuses

Quote:
Not yet. It would be nice to see the Jazz actually hit their stride before doing anything. It would be one thing if this were happening at the end of the season, or in the playoffs like last season. Luckily for the Jazz their seeing all of their faults on display at the beginning of the year and can improve on them.

Regardless they need to look to do something even if it's just making roster space for buyouts eventually. They went into the season with a thin rotation and it looks even moreso since Snyder apparently doesn't like Niang. Not sure how many trade assets they have though really. They've got some young guys playing well with the Stars and Bradley. Will anyone take Exum?

Quote:
This has been one of the biggest changes in team makeup in some time and does anyone consider Quin Snyder to be someone with schemes that are easy to pick up? I would say the panic button should still be put away but maybe get it out of storage at least.

the genius that generates the most open looks in the league?

Quote:
I can’t remember a season where I had this high of expectations for a team and got this average of a product. The Jazz are just not what everyone was expecting.

I take it you haven't been a Jazz fan long!

Quote:
Fun fact: dwight Howard makes less the dante does.

We swung for the fences, and wasted 40 million a year on trash

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Dec 5, 2019 | 12:07 AM

as do many guys that don't suck

Quote:
Is there a rational person on this board
That doesnt think exum is a dumpster fire contract?

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Dec 5, 2019 | 12:12 AM

most thing he should play more. Who thought it was ever a good contract. 27 million for someone that has always sucked!

Quote:
The logical conclusion should be that we should fire Quin. But we won’t because we’re cheap.

Posted by Ethan Renshaw on Dec 5, 2019 | 1:36 AM

the fact that this is the best start they've had under Snyder and that they just gave him an extension and Jerry could do nothing to get fired makes it laughable to even think about it

Quote:
Besides dm, rudy, bogey and royce, we basically are playing g league players…..

BECAUSE of those two conrracts…

This falls on dennis

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Dec 5, 2019 | 2:35 AM

They are playing lots of proven NBAers.

Quote:
We could have kept favors and signed
A mid tier role player without conley

Posted by ThomasSmithjaz1 on Dec 5, 2019 | 2:38 AM

An expensive backup center that makes no sense next to Rudy was another problem. Could look at all the former players out there that Snyder wouldn't play when they were here that they could have had on minimum deals though

Quote:
Conley-Rubio trade?
Anyone?

Posted by La Magia on Dec 5, 2019 | 5:30 AM

God no!

Quote:
It just reminds me of the days we had Okur, Boozer, and Millsap taking on Bynum, Gasol, and Odom. Their size and skills just wore us down. It wasn’t that we were that bad, they were just physically bigger and stronger.

Our guards are small, our bigs are small, it could be a worrying trend as the season grinds on. I thought our offensive skills and system would be enough to overcome, but now wondering if just being outsized game in game out is leading to mistakes on offense in terms of turnovers and streaks of ice cold shooting.

Posted by SKMike on Dec 5, 2019 | 5:38 AM

One of Sloan's problems was letting the other team dictate the game as you are seeing with Snyder. If they are bigger than you than you need to use your speed to make them pay at the other end. Matchups go both ways

Quote:
Prioritizing shooting and midgets more than anything.
Jazz also have a loooong history of not having that 6’8 – 6-10 athletic freak to put on opposing best players. Let alone the multiple players teams have of that ilk now.
The problem is the new GM and Lindsey team building, not Q.

Posted by chicken room Rambo 35 on Dec 5, 2019 | 7:03 AM

Because with shooters around Gobert you should feast. We've seen what a lack of shooting can do
Old Today, 11:48 AM   #353
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/12/5/20...jan-bogdanovic

Quote:
Bojan and Gobert are fine, Royce is super low usage player ( 5,9 ppg). But you can’t be competitive nowdays if your offense is around Conley and Mitchell bricking floaters and Mitchell shooting 51,7% of all shots from mid range , like it’s 2000, not 2020.

Also it’s safe to assume that Conley and Ingles just flat out declined.

Posted by Petar Gulin on Dec 5, 2019 | 1:37 AM

Mitchell is the heart of the problem. He needs to make the right play and that isn't forcing up bad shots

Quote:
their two contracts seems to have forced the Jazz to skimp on the bench. Ed Davis is a reasonable choice, but Green and Mudiay were widely known to suck. So the Jazz gambled that Green, Mudiay, Bradly, Exum, and Niang would somehow step up (which they still could.) But that was not a very good bet.

The changes also created a big hole at "PF," especially on D. The Jazz are very vulnerable to teams with mobile, 3pt shooting, big men. Unfortunately, most of the top teams has at least one at this point. Teams like Milwaukee, Philly, and Toronto, that have a mobile big man and a 3 pt shooting center are going to be really really hard for the Jazz.

The D is much worse than they thought it would be. Worse than I thought it would be and I thought it would decline.

The O: For the starters, Conley is not the assist man Rubio was, and Ingles is now on the bench, so the passing is suffering. They have much better shooting, but lost a lot of BBIQ. But I think they will figure it out. I feel sure the offense will get better. They made big changes. it will take time to figure things out.

Unless they somehow make some trades or something, the bench is even more hopeless offensively than defensively

Posted by BoufantPuffydoo on Dec 5, 2019 | 8:07 AM

You can keep saying that but filling the end of the roster with rookies instead of proven vets has nothing to do with their contracts. Ricky's BBIQ was low. Snyder's rotations have sucked. One of my big worries coming in. Green and Mudiay have scored points in the past. Niang could help them but hasn;t had much of a chance. Bradley is young and talented. Exum sucks. Always has

Quote:
Nothing good can come from having Niang, Green, Mudiay & Davis on the floor at the same time. Everyone of them is a defensive liability with a one dimensional offensive game.

Throw in Ingles, who’s taken a dramatic turn for the worst, plus the stingy sprinklings of Dante "Potential-Potential-Potential" Exum & you’re just asking for disaster.

We need a shakeup.

We’re far too top heavy & it’s only magnified by the injuries/slumps of our starting five.

Posted by uncle-ingles on Dec 5, 2019 | 8:33 AM

The bench is certainly an issue. But Snyder's rotations and Mitchell running with them is a big part of it. I'd hardly say those guys are 1 dimensional. Ingles play isn't helping. He shot poorly to start last year and was one of the best down the stretch which would help a lot. Need 2 or 3 starters on the floor at all times though. Needs to try something different for sure
Old Today, 12:00 PM   #354
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/12/05/uta...rade-year-ago/

Quote:
Having said that, let’s revisit some midseason trades the Jazz have completed in years past, starting with the Kyle Korver trade of 2018-19. Utah was struggling out of the gates, going 10-12 through the first 22 games which included a 50 point loss to the lottery-bound Dallas Mavericks . Although the December 15th date had not come yet, Dennis Lindsey decided to make a move.

that was with almost the whole team back too
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: