Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default Rubio Doesn't Want To Go To Memphis or OKC?

While Oklahoma City would obviously be extremely interested in the prospect of acquiring the top pick and drafting local product Blake Griffin, there is one team standing in their way – the Memphis Grizzlies, who own the #2 pick. From what people around the league are saying, Rubio’s camp may already be sending out feelers indicating that he’s not interested in the least bit in playing in Memphis.

“Rubio doesn’t want to go to Memphis, and he especially does not want to pay money out of his own pocket with that huge buyout for the honor of doing so. Fegan [Rubio’s agent] wants him in L.A., and if he can’t have him there, he wants him in Sacramento. Definitely not Oklahoma City.

Unlike Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet, who don’t really have any choice where they will play next season if a team decides to play hardball, Rubio has a reasonably attractive alternative option at his disposal—returning to Spain.

“He’ll pull out if he doesn’t like what he’s hearing,” the NBA source tells us. “Or he can stay in and force the Grizzlies to call his bluff—would they really take him knowing that he may never come over? That’s one way to get him to fall to three.”

Fegan is already highly experienced in these matters, having unsuccessfully attempted to navigate fellow client Yi Jianlian towards the team of his choice in the 2007 draft, only to see Milwaukee foil his plans and pick him anyway. This time, though, he has a lot more leverage, as Rubio would likely have no problem staying in Badalona for another year or two or more if push came to shove. His buyout after all, is yet to be resolved, which in this case may actually be an advantage.

The Grizzlies are clearly aware of the politics surrounding their pick, but do not appear to be in any rush to make any decisions. “We’ll talk about all those things when they come up,” their General Manager Chris Wallace told us. “Right now we’re still in evaluation mode. We haven’t had any conversations with him [Rubio] or anyone else in his camp.”

Wallace shared that he will be headed out to Spain this weekend to watch Rubio compete in game three of the ACB playoffs, where Joventut will try to advance to the semifinals with a road win over Real Madrid. “I sent someone out there last week to watch him in the playoffs just in case we were able to move up,” Wallace told us. “He’s hardly a sleeper and he hasn’t been very difficult to track. We feel very comfortable with what we know about him right now.”

When asked whether Mike Conley’s status as Memphis’ tentative starter will deter the Grizzlies from selecting another point guard, Wallace indicated that that won’t be a factor. “We’re not in a position to be drafting for need. We’re going to go after the biggest talent available, whether that’s a big man or a point guard or whatever.”

What might make the most sense on paper would be for the Clippers and Grizzlies to work out a trade in which Memphis could take Griffin and Los Angeles would get Rubio. For that to happen, Memphis would have to part with one of their core assets, likely Rudy Gay. Obviously we’ll have to stay tuned, because as John Hollinger correctly indicated in his latest column last night’s lottery left more questions than answers for the teams drafting in the top 5.
    Jonathan Givony on DraftXpress

Default Re: Rubio Doesn't Want To Go To Memphis or OKC?

All Rookies say that, about sh!tty teams.
    O.J. Mayo said he didn't want to play for T'Wolves, but he would have played there if they didn't trade him. Yi said he didn't want to play for the Bucks, he played for them. So on and So on.

I hate when player does this. You want to choose where to play? Wait until you can sign as a FA. I'm a fan of Rubio, but I hate this kind of attitude.

Let's hope it's only on Fegan. The article said there has been no direct contact yet between Rubio and Memphis.

Oh, and f*ck Dan Fegan.

BRINKER
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by lilderrickrose
    O.J. Mayo said he didn't want to play for T'Wolves, but he would have played there if they didn't trade him. Yi said he didn't want to play for the Bucks, he played for them. So on and So on.

completely different situation.

at first as soon as the clippers won the pick, i toyed with the idea of rubio. but after more clear-headed consideration, we're taking griffin, and not entertaining any realistic trades that would involve moving him.

I'm sure it's just his agent talking. It's not like it's the first time, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lilderrickrose
    Yeah but none of them had an 8 million dollar contract waiting for them in Spain.

ungrateful guy, at least be happy that your gonna play in the best league in the world.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by artificial
    I hate when player does this. You want to choose where to play? Wait until you can sign as a FA. I'm a fan of Rubio, but I hate this kind of attitude. .
    He can't wait to sign as a FA. If he stays in Spain, his rights are simply retained by the team that drafted him.

I don't blame him though, the kid's from Barcelona and he's now expected to live in OKC or Memphis?

BRINKER
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Jnr
    ungrateful guy, at least be happy that your gonna play in the best league in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    Yeah but none of them had an 8 million dollar contract waiting for them in Spain.
    Yep, and I don't think Jianlin had a buy out of $6-8 million this year, with $11 million next. Rubio could just simply remain in Spain until the 2011-12 season and remain their if he doesn't get what he wants. Some leverage, something Yi really didn't have.

I rule the local playground

heck half the season is on the road anyways i dont see whats the big deal.

Same agent as Yi Jianlian, coincidence?

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe Jnr
    Come on, if he comes with 2nd pick, he would have to pay near 85% of his 3 years's pay to DKV Joventut.

Would you came to NBA to play with Memphis for free? Sure I wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMedallist
    Come on, if he comes with 2nd pick, he would have to pay near 85% of his 3 years's pay to DKV Joventut.

I don't think he'd declared for the draft if he weren't 100% sure of going to the NBA regardless of the team.
    Going to Memphis didn't go bad for Pau, right?

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMedallist

Maybe he thinks that anybody should be dying to go to a ****hole in USA to play in a crappy team instead of living in a nice city in Spain and play for a championship contending team