Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ricky Rubio not as bad in Euroleague as you have been lead to believe

This is Barcelona's team stats when they on the the Euro champions.

http://www.euroleague.net/competitio...asoncode=E2009

Not only was Rubio the starting point guard age 19 but he lead the team in assists and steals, was 4th in mpg and 6th in ppg. So don't anyone tell you Rubio was a scrub in Euroleague. He was a major piece of a Euroleague champion.

Default Re: Ricky Rubio not as bad in Euroleague as you have been lead to believe

the stats you show are his stats from his second last season in barcelona. he regressed in his last season, and thats what made people worry

in his last season, he shot 36% from the floor, 25% from the 3pt line, 77% from the FT line, was again first in apg, but was 8th on his own team in ppg.

http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?C...e=3&Stats=2011

Default Re: Ricky Rubio not as bad in Euroleague as you have been lead to believe

IIRC Rubio stated on twitter a few times that he was disinterested and felt unchallenged overseas. Some athletes need legitimately good competititon to "play-up" to in order to maximise their own potential, he's probably one of those types of athletes. How bored would you be if you were in college and had to take a tedious unnecessary course on something as basic as say, long division? Would you show up to class every day and do your homework all the time? Maybe.... but I know not everyone can stand that kind of mundane emptiness when you feel completely unchallenged. The NBA was a necessary move for him.

Okay. I noticed he was 7th in scoring not 6th but he was 6th in rebounds. But that means at worse he was one of the top 7 players and I think even better because he led the team in assists and steals and we all know that Rubio's strength is not scoring but making his teammates better.

And notice how when the games get bigger his stats go up. In the two final four games, the biggest games of Euroleague, he still lead the champs in assists and steals but jumped to 3rd in points and tied for 3rd in rebounds. All this in the final four games for the Euroleague champions. Pretty good for a scrub eh?

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    the stats you show are his stats from his second last season in barcelona. he regressed in his last season, and thats what made people worry

in his last season, he shot 36% from the floor, 25% from the 3pt line, 77% from the FT line, was again first in apg, but was 8th on his own team in ppg.

Yes I know he digressed in his next season (his last in Euroleague) but that still doesn't take away for fact that he was a major contributor for a Euroleague champion and far from a scrub.

Also that link you gave is for the Spanish league (ACB) not Euroleague. Each European team plays in like a superleague with the best teams from different national league (Euroleague is the top) and their national leagues (where ACB is the best). But Rubio regressed in Euroleague as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    IIRC Rubio stated on twitter a few times that he was disinterested and felt unchallenged overseas. Some athletes need legitimately good competititon to "play-up" to in order to maximise their own potential, he's probably one of those types of athletes. How bored would you be if you were in college and had to take a tedious unnecessary course on something as basic as say, long division? Would you show up to class every day and do your homework all the time? Maybe.... but I know not everyone can stand that kind of mundane emptiness when you feel completely unchallenged. The NBA was a necessary move for him.
    but his stats, and reports from scouts show, that he really struggled at times in europe. he was 8th on his own team in scoring!? i think it had very little to do with the euroleague being beneath him

im speculating here, but id guess that if he was disinterested, some part of him had to think that regardless of how he played, he was already drafted at that point, it didnt make a difference. he was gonna get paid well for getting picked as high as he did, and he was gonna play in the nba soon. so how he played in spain didnt matter.

on top of that, i just dont think the grind-it-out style of europe didnt suit him. he played with a lot of other good players, and played in a very rigid system in barca, that granted him little freedom, freedom to play his own style, and to make mistakes.

the nba's more open, fast, athletic style suits him a lot better. i think thats the main reason hes doing so much better. it has little to do with the eurloeague being 'unchallenging'

Quote Originally Posted by gabepizza
    Yes I know he digressed in his next season (his last in Euroleague) but that still doesn't take away for fact that he was a major contributor for a Euroleague champion and far from a scrub.
    im certainly not implying he was a scrub in barca. anyone who does is simply clueless. but there was reason to be worried, that a future nba player was regressing, and was only 8th on his own team in scoring.

it was a pretty unique situation.

Rubio never regressed, his coach just never used him correctly. Rubio's job in Barcelona was to give the ball to Navarro and go stand in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by gabepizza
    Also that link you gave is for the Spanish league (ACB) not Euroleague. Each European team plays in like a superleague with the best teams from different national league (Euroleague is the top) and their national leagues (where ACB is the best). But Rubio regressed in Euroleague as well.
    Spanish League is NOT the best national league in Europe you ****ing dumb ass.

Link or stfu troll.

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    Spanish League is NOT the best national league in Europe you ****ing dumb ass.
    ACB is the best european league by far.

Quote Originally Posted by TaLvsCuaL
    ACB is the best european league by far.
    BULLSHIT.

The United League is WAY BETTER than the Spanish League. Not even close.

Here is a link to Rubio saying the NBA is easier than the Euroleague.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_-MI6Z1cV4

I guess he got injured in the NBA, because he just didn't care anymore to play in such a low level that was clearly beneath him. After all, he clearly felt unchallenged by the rest of the NBA.

euroleague is amazing development league. been saying this forever. glad i was right. players get bored there, too easy.