Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASA

I am the First Officer ImmortalNemesis's Avatar

Default NASA

http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/na...ousin-to-earth

NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed the first near-Earth-size planet in the “habitable zone” around a sun-like star. This discovery and the introduction of 11 other new small habitable zone candidate planets mark another milestone in the journey to finding another “Earth.”
    What we know about Kepler 452-b:

[LIST][*]It's the smallest exoplanet discovered to date discovered orbiting in the habitable zone of a G2-class star, just like the Earth and the Sun.
    [*]Kepler-452b is 60 percent larger in diameter than Earth and is considered a super-Earth-size planet.
    [*]It's likely rocky.
    [*]While Kepler-452b is larger than Earth, its 385-day orbit is only 5 percent longer.
    [*]The planet is 5 percent farther from its parent star Kepler-452 than Earth is from the Sun.
    [*]Kepler-452 is 6 billion years old, 1.5 billion years older than our sun, has the same temperature, and is 20 percent brighter and has a diameter 10 percent larger.
    [*]The Kepler-452 system is located 1,400 light-years away in the constellation Cygnus.[/LIST]
    Last edited by ImmortalNemesis; 07-23-2015 at 03:11 PM.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Default Re: NASA

Packing my bags

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I don't care about any of this until we find proof of Aliens.

I want to see other humanoid figures or animals out there somewhere.

There's a good chance there's life on this planet, considering it's older than Earth and has very similar conditions.

This is f*cking huge.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis
    There's a good chance there's life on this planet, considering it's older than Earth and has very similar conditions.

This is f*cking huge.
    Agreed, I think there is a very good chance that there is some sort of "life" as we classify it. Maybe microscopic or cellular, but probably recognizable, carbon based life as we know it.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis

This is f*cking huge.
    Thats what I was thinking!

Omfg....

If life really is on that planet and it evolved in a similar way to life on Earth, then this changes everything. A species with technology 1.5 BILLION YEARS more advanced than ours? Oh boy.

Due to that fact, if there is life on there, its impossible for them not to have found us long before we ever find them. Its possible they are able to bridge that gap of 1,400 light years, since they are so much more advanced than us.

Imagine they are on their way right now

Then again, imagine they already have their own intergalactic community with a bunch of other planets and have no interest in us at all, due to our comparatively primitive existence.

So much possibilities. Then again, it could just be yet another empty rock. Leaving us to continue to wonder if it is really possible that we are the only life in this seemingly endless universe. Which I guess is pretty damn scary itself.

Or those extra 1.5 billion years were used to wipe out civilization.

Tolerant Liberals

If we found life that currently exists or have existed in the past on other planets, would that pretty much usher in a new age of thinking where religion goes extinct?

Further, is it possible that evolution of life is convergent and we will see humanoids at the top of their extraterrestrial society?

Quote Originally Posted by sweggeh
    Thats what I was thinking!

Omfg....

If life really is on that planet and it evolved in a similar way to life on Earth, then this changes everything. A species with technology 1.5 BILLION YEARS more advanced than ours? Oh boy.

Due to that fact, if there is life on there, its impossible for them not to have found us long before we ever find them. Its possible they are able to bridge that gap of 1,400 light years, since they are so much more advanced than us.

Imagine they are on their way right now

Then again, imagine they already have their own intergalactic community with a bunch of other planets and have no interest in us at all, due to our comparatively primitive existence.

So much possibilities. Then again, it could just be yet another empty rock. Leaving us to continue to wonder if it is really possible that we are the only life in this seemingly endless universe. Which I guess is pretty damn scary itself.
    Life does not necessarily mean intelligent life.

Dinosaurs ruled the Earth for something like 150 millions years.

Intelligent life (humans) have only been around for a tiny fraction of that time.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic

Intelligent life (humans) have only been around for a tiny fraction of that time.
    I think there is no doubt that dinosaurs can be classified as "intelligent life"

Something that is intelligent life to me = something with a brain.

Life with no intelligence = plants, microscopic organisms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    I think there is no doubt that dinosaurs can be classified as "intelligent life"

OK, but I meant life with the capabilities to find us. There's no guarantee that intelligence on that level has to evolve.

Banned

First the pluto fly by. Then the huge investment into finding life. Now this. A conspiracy theorist might say they are easing society in to some news.

The odds of our civilization matching up time wise with another highly intelligent civilization are crazy. We might find lifeforms or evidence of life but considering how small our window of existence is in the scheme of things makes it hard to think we will coincodently be around at the same time as another that we can communicate with
    Last edited by outbreak; 07-23-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic

If they have survived for that long and not been wiped out, it is almost impossible for them not to have evolved enough to have intelligence and technology way beyond what we can fathom.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat

What are you on about bruh. Dinosaurs aren't intelligent.

Humans are the only intelligent species on this planet. To be classed as an intelligent species, they need to be able to have self awareness. And be intelligent enough to ask questions like where did we come from, where are we going, what is our purpose in this life, etc. Animals dont think that shit, they just live off instincts.

Plus plants, microscopic organisms, etc. all have brains of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    First the pluto fly by. Then the huge investment into finding life. Now this. A conspiracy theorist might say they are easing society in to some news.

The odds of our civilization matching up time wise with another highly intelligent civilization are crazy. We might find lifeforms or evidence of life but considering how small our window of existence is in the scheme of things makes it hard to think we will coincodently be around at the same time as another that we can communicate with
    I believe I read that we know of 9 billion planets with characteristics like Earth.

It wouldnt be that far fetched.