Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

Default My Workout

So far my workout is:

1. Sprinting (track work)
2. Jump rope
3. Hang Cleans
4. Leg Press
5. Pullups
6. Bench Press

Basketball Skill work

I want to be very explosive next season and quick. So I can break my defender off the dribble and get to the basket.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Default Re: My Workout

Just a few tips about your training:
1. Sprinting - you should try and keep the distance low when you do your track work. A basketball court is about 30m, which is shorter than all the track events. Also, you should focus on your first step. A quick first step is far better than a high top speed b/c you won't reach top speed in that 30m
2. Jump rope - make sure you keep the reps low and the speed high. Too much and you'll lose jumping ability for endurance jumping.
4. Leg press - you should try to avoid the leg press. It's not as effective as other leg exercises like the squat and the deadlift, because of the position you're in. Jumping requires strong hips, but the leg press has no hip extension. Unless you pair the leg press with another exercise, all you'll get is large calves, which means more weight. More efficient exercises were the 2 I listed.
5. Pullups are great, but I think they hurt your back? I do chin ups, but it's all up to you.
6. Bench press - make sure you keep the reps low and the weights high. I prefer to use dumbbells to even out the strength in my arms.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Good advice carpevicis. Leg press is only something you do if you are a body builder looking for size... otherwise it's pretty much useless. Wasting energy on leg press when you could be doing squats or deadlifts is extremely counter productive. Of course leg press is more comfortable, but comfort never got anybody anywhere. The hang cleans are great though be sure to keep those in your workout... those can take the place of deadlifts IMO since it's a similar movement. Power cleans would be even better though.

Personally I would start with the jump rope (reps low, speed high like he said... and only maybe a set or 2) and then go do your track work. I think it would be a great warm up exercise before you doing track/sprinting work and help to better prevent injury. Also, DB bench is much easier on your joints, so I would always do DB bench. You will still get great results without all the strain. I have screwed up my right pectoral for life pretty much doing barbell bench... so much so that I can no longer do heavy weight without moderate to severe discomfort. The only time I do barbell bench now is during burnout sets (light weight) at the end of my workout.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
MannyO
Super Cool E

Thanks for the advice I think Im going to take the leg press out of my workout. The only reason I was using it was because I did not have access to a squat machine.

Also question about the hang clean. To me it does not look like a very effective exercise but it is and I was wondering does it help bulk you up? Will it give me explosion throughout my whole body? Its a very complex exercise.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
Marv_Albert
GUESS WHO'S BACK

Whats some advice/workout routines to improve a stronger and more accurate drive to the basket through traffic and trees? and maybe even dunk on someone if its appropriate aha
Marv_Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Thanks for the advice I think Im going to take the leg press out of my workout. The only reason I was using it was because I did not have access to a squat machine.

Also question about the hang clean. To me it does not look like a very effective exercise but it is and I was wondering does it help bulk you up? Will it give me explosion throughout my whole body? Its a very complex exercise.

What doesn't look effective about it? Along with snatch it's the most explosive exercise you can possibly do (well actually power clean is). If you ever watch the Olympic lifters do it... I mean my god it looks so ridiculous they just throw like 500 pounds up on their shoulders in an instant.

As for upper body, it only works the traps and forearms (some shoulders too) on the upper body so no you won't really have to worry about bulking up too much. What gives you upper body size is if you add in the jerk. Any size you get though (you will get some) will be offset by the fact that you are going to be infinitely more explosive so don't worry about getting too bulky. But yes it helps with explosion throughout the whole body... Most of your explosion with anything is going to come through your hips, and it's sure going to help with that.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
What doesn't look effective about it? Along with snatch it's the most explosive exercise you can possibly do (well actually power clean is). If you ever watch the Olympic lifters do it... I mean my god it looks so ridiculous they just throw like 500 pounds up on their shoulders in an instant.

As for upper body, it only works the traps and forearms (some shoulders too) on the upper body so no you won't really have to worry about bulking up too much. What gives you upper body size is if you add in the jerk. Any size you get though (you will get some) will be offset by the fact that you are going to be infinitely more explosive so don't worry about getting too bulky. But yes it helps with explosion throughout the whole body... Most of your explosion with anything is going to come through your hips, and it's sure going to help with that.

I understand the explosion in the upper body. But I didn't see how it translates to vertical jump. To me it seems like more of a little hop. I was wondering if it helps bulk up because I actually do need to bulk up a bit and it will be great to gain explosion while at it.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Well like I said it will help you bulk up.

If you use that logic, then Squats shouldn't help much because you aren't even getting off the ground. Pulling all that weight up to your chest then putting it on your shoulders and squatting it up (if you just put it on your shoulders without the squat you lose some of the explosiveness of the lift) is extremely explosive. Just think about it, it's basically a deadlift (well if you do the power clean) that you are pulling up way higher. If you do it the correct way, you barely even have to use your upper body because all of your power is coming from the hips. Of course when you get into heavy weight the shrugging of it becomes more important, but still 90% of the lift is your legs. Those olmypic lifters have crazy verts man and these lifts are pretty much all they do.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #9
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
I understand the explosion in the upper body. But I didn't see how it translates to vertical jump. To me it seems like more of a little hop. I was wondering if it helps bulk up because I actually do need to bulk up a bit and it will be great to gain explosion while at it.

The cleans are one of the most effective exercises to improve explosion, both vertically and linearly. The power comes from your legs, hips and glutes and is used to drive forwards. The whole point of these power lifts is to do them quickly. When you're power cleaning, you have to throw the weight onto your wrists or else you'll be using your arms. When you squat, explosive training would have you rise as quickly as possible out of your squat as possible, even adding in a little bounce jump.

The reason you don't want to jump directly while being weighted is because it will mess up your jump form. Think about shooting a basketball with a medicine ball. Some people think it'll improve your range, and it definitely will. But it'll mess up how you shoot: you'll move from flicking the basketball to heaving and launching the medicine ball. These weight training exercises might not seem very "explosive", but trust me, they'll work if you do them right.

Also, if you don't have access to a squat rack, use dumbbells. Hold them in front of you with straight arms for an arm workout, or keep one close to your chest. Bulking up is all a matter of how much exercise you do and how many "good" calories you take in.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
ZenMaster
Whap'em

Remember to do core strength drills!
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
Remember to do core strength drills!

ya I forgot to mention resistant band incline situps
Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

You should do this good core/arms combo workout Tyson Gay uses. Get a heavy plate and lay back on an incline bench. Raise yourself about 6 inches off the bench and push the plate like a bench press. Your abs will be tight as you push the plate and it's a bench press also.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: