Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Your 2014 Game of The Year?

What are your top 3 games of the year?

1. The Last of Us
    2. NBA 2K15
    3. None I've played that are worthy

This was a shitty year for gaming, imo. Most of my top anticipated games were either pushed back or flopped.

I haven't played Dragon Age: Inquisition but plan on getting it at Christmas. Didn't play Infamous: Second Son either, so that won't be on the list.

Default Re: Your 2014 Game of The Year?

Last of Us came out in 2013...

Mine is Shadow of Mordor. I'll be honest and say I knew nothing about it, and laughed at my friend when he was talking how cool it looked, just based on the fact all the other LOTR games I've seen prior looked trash.
    Then I ended up getting it in a bundle that was gifted to me by my GF and I gave it a go. Freaking amazing. Like a better version of Assassins with Batman fighting mechanics. Can't ask for much more. She said she tried to swap it for another game because she didn't think I'd like it, which I initially agreed with, but I'm so glad she didn't.

Mario Kart 8
    TLOU: Remastered
    Second Son

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Last of Us came out in 2013...

Mine is Shadow of Mordor. I'll be honest and say I knew nothing about it, and laughed at my friend when he was talking how cool it looked, just based on the fact all the other LOTR games I've seen prior looked trash.
    Then I ended up getting it in a bundle that was gifted to me by my GF and I gave it a go. Freaking amazing. Like a better version of Assassins with Batman fighting mechanics. Can't ask for much more. She said she tried to swap it for another game because she didn't think I'd like it, which I initially agreed with, but I'm so glad she didn't.
    It came out Remastered on PS4 this year.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

It was short and sweet, but fun and funny.

Inquisition for me, but that might just be that it's new for me and freshest in my mind. I'm 65 hours in now.

Haven't really played anything but that or 2k though. Slow year.

Banned

1. Dragon Age Inquistion
    2. Sunset Overdrive
    3. Alien: Isolation
    4. Mario Kart 8
    5. Evil within

I haven't played Mordor yet so that could shake up my list.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

This is probably the least I've played games in a year in my entire video game playing life.

But the game I probably had the most fun playing this year has been Plants v Zombies: Garden Warfare. The multiplayer on that is crazy.

The Last of Us, the PS3 version came out in 2013, so can't say that.

Dragon Age 3 for me, shit is astounding.

NBA lottery pick

Binding of Isaac Rebirth
    Mario Kart 8
    Bayonetta 2
    Shantae and the Pirates Curse
    Shovel Knight
    Persona Q
    Bravely Default

Some of my favorites from this year. If I had to choose one I'd probably pick Rebirth as I've already sunk a good amount of time into that one and will likely continue to do so for a while yet.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Binding of Isaac Rebirth
    Mario Kart 8
    Bayonetta 2
    Shantae and the Pirates Curse
    Shovel Knight
    Persona Q
    Bravely Default

Some of my favorites from this year. If I had to choose one I'd probably pick Rebirth as I've already sunk a good amount of time into that one and will likely continue to do so for a while yet.
    Bravely Default came out last year though didn't it? If it had been this year it would have been high on my list.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Bravely Default came out last year though didn't it? If it had been this year it would have been high on my list.
    Pretty sure it came out this year in North America.

this year was super shitty

played Bayo 2 few times at friend's so probably that

Inquisition went straight to refund after 20 hours

Next year will have some very heavy hitters...

Halo 5 and Arkham Knight just to name a couple...

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

GameInformer is doing their top 50 challenge thing at the moment. It's something they came up with where the various editors will "challenge" other editors to play a game they have in their personal top 50 for a weekend. Then the challeng-y will come back and write a bit on it.

I read the AC Unity one the yesterday mainly because I'm playing that at the moment. It was the same reviews I've read everywhere else. A lot of good. Some laughably bad quirks.

Then in the comments there's a wave of people berating the game for coming out so buggy, and saying no way should it make anyone's top fifty. I agree that it's a sham it came out needing as many patches as it did. But I've been playing pretty heavy for two weeks, and I found nothing to be game breaking. I've gotten stuck a time or two and had to fast travel out. I've seen NPC's dropping from a story above for some reason. But generally it's played. I'll also agree that the format is getting a little stale. I really liked Black Flag because I felt like the pirating was an interesting new mechanic.

Anyway, my point was, these guys are complaining about it making a top FIFTY! Fifty is a big number. I probably didn't play ten games this year. Even with the bugs, this was a big, ambitious game, and does a lot of cool stuff. Making a top 50 would have to yield a lot of less than perfect games.

I took a stab at Mordor, just couldn't get into it. I felt like it just dropped me too hard in the middle of this upgrading mess, and I never got into it enough to play it to where I'm sure it gets good.

Evil Within I played much more of, but I dropped that too at about chapter three, which may be a bigger indictment.

I played a couple small Downloadable things. That Spy game I liked.

But I mean fifty is a lot of games.

And I don't know where they count this stuff, but if we're talking literally things that were released this year, GTAV Remastered, TLoU Remastered, and Tomb Raider Remastered should all make any list.