Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Thumbs up Shaq in best condition going into training camp!

[QUOTE]Shaquille O'Neal said he weighs about the same (330-335 pounds) as he did in his first NBA championship season.

He's well aware that he is 36.

"Yeah, I'm old, but I can still do what I do," he said.

And as for that plan to retire when the Suns are done paying him $21 million for each of the next two seasons: "I may get another deal. I may say I don't want to play anymore. You got that window. The window's closing. You've got to get it done now. No excuses."

As O'Neal blows up assumptions that he is overweight, in age denial and counting down to retirement, he might as well flip the script on reviews of the Suns' trade for him.

"It would've been a hell of a Cinderella story for me playing 30 games and for us to get it done," O'Neal said. "When you talk about winning championships, it really doesn't work out like that. What Boston showed is if you put a lot guys together and go through a whole year uninterrupted, anything is possible."

The Suns are banking on the full-season theory when it comes to O'Neal. The hope is that the team is better for having him from today's start of camp and that new coach Terry Porter's system will suit him better.

The offense will be more traditional and deliberate at times, but that is low on the O'Neal priorities. The Suns have scorers galore. They need him to improve a defense that Porter said must be among the top five in the NBA to win a title.

"From a focal standpoint, that's going to change for us in order to be successful," said Porter, whose system will be more like the one that O'Neal played in with the Lakers.

There will be less space for O'Neal or any Suns player to cover as Porter puts in a simpler formula of sending dribblers to the baseline rather than the paint.

"The big guys have to rotate and be very alert and cut off angles," Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said. "The guards have to be able to trust the big guys behind them. Robin (Lopez) will be very good at it, and Shaq will be good at it. That's where he's at his best defensively, when he doesn't have to cover too much ground on the perimeter and he can guard the rim. We want post defense so we're not vulnerable against Tim Duncan, Yao Ming, Al Jefferson and the guys who were killing us last year."

O'Neal might play fewer minutes than the 29 he averaged with the Suns. He will form a lane-clogging tandem with Lopez, but Porter also will go with Amar

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Shaq in best condition going into training camp!

The top pic is so cool.

Im loving the cockyness! A motivated Shaq this year better mean big things for Planet Orange

and shaq and amare only differ 2 inches?

National High School Star

In related news, Metallica claim their new album is their best yet. Apparently, they've really grown as a band and the songs will showcase their ever increasing awesomeness.

amare at center and diaw at pf? thats sad.

btw shaq's always pointing fingers at people when he leaves a team. pretty sad

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    and shaq and amare only differ 2 inches?
    Certainly doesn't seem that way, does it?

In related news, Metallica claim their new album is their best yet. Apparently, they've really grown as a band and the songs will showcase their ever increasing awesomeness.

Nash's hairstyle looks horrible. When Shaq first came to Phoenix, he was measured by the team doctor at 321 pounds and 11% body fat. So he's a bit bigger than back then. But it's not too bad, he doesn't have a stomach bulge and his face isn't fat. Amare looks pretty normal. I've always suspected he isn't actually 6'10. Look at him next to Lebron. Maybe VCMVP1551 can enlighten us. I wonder if he's gonna keep wearing that sleeve the whole season.

Occasionally I can't help but wish it it was still this instead:

Oh well

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

Wow. Amare looks not that much taller than Nash in the first pic. Angles will do that I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    btw shaq's always pointing fingers at people when he leaves a team. pretty sad
    He does tend to do this. He has been one to have the utmost confidence in his game and team when he is playing but has been quick to point the finger once he departs. I remember him taking shots at the Heat bench when he left

Damn, Amare looks tiny next to Shaq. On the court compared to other guys he looks huge. Though when put next to Shaq, even the biggest of people are dwarfed.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    I remember him taking shots at the Heat bench when he left
    Have you seen the Heat bench? I don't know how half those guys get past the security at away arenas. Who in their right mind would believe that Chris Quinn is an NBA player and not a systems analyst from San Diego trying to sneak into the locker room and get Wade's John Hancock?

nash needs to cut that faux-mullet gay purse designer hair of his. god damn, i can't imagine rooting for a guy who looks like that

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertime
    Have you seen the Heat bench? I don't know how half those guys get past the security at away arenas. Who in their right mind would believe that Chris Quinn is an NBA player and not a systems analyst from San Diego trying to sneak into the locker room and get Wade's John Hancock?
    The point is to just be respectable and keep that crap behind closed doors. He just loves the media attention. He just takes shots a guys through the media to satisfy his addiction to be in the spotlight. I love Shaq, but I have never had respect for the shots he takes at other players when its done with

Ever since he left the Lakers, Shaq every season is "in best condition going into training camp". Not so during the season or the playoffs, at least after 2005 (although he did underperform in the 2005 playoffs, as well). He's not going to average even past prime numbers, like 18+9, anymore. Once upon a time, what he said was cool and great, because he could back it up. Now, the only thing I believe he can back up is his statement of the number of days left till he retires.