Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-02-2007, 01:14 AM   #16
goldgrill4me
Banned

Default Re: OT-UFC LHW Champ Chuck liddell Drunken interview...LMFAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
You must really like Shogun, cause you forgot Liddell was the other American champ.

dana needs to make it happen liddell vs. shogun............liddells old there will always be an excuse if he loses
goldgrill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:23 AM   #17
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldgrill4me
dana needs to make it happen liddell vs. shogun............liddells old there will always be an excuse if he loses

It will never happen, Liddell will be long retired before they put him in the cage or ring with Shogun.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #18
goldgrill4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
It will never happen, Liddell will be long retired before they put him in the cage or ring with Shogun.
It could happen, prides financially in trouble if zuffa ends up purchasing pride the match would happen.

anyway, heres a response from chuck regarding the interview http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6870
goldgrill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
Pakalolo
Can barely lace up my sneakers

1. considering the debate boxer vs. MMA fighter:

Klitschko: "Mirko was my sparing partner back in Hamburg (Germany). At taht time his boxing tehnique wasnt so impressive, but Mirko was very agressive, superb athlete and it hasnt been easy with him."

"Pride is too dangerous for me. I dd never fight in any MMA organization cause I woluldnt have any chance.

2. someone mentioned the fight between Alexander Emelianenko and James Thompson: here it is

3. MMA is great, and Fedor the best.
Pakalolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #20
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
You must really like Shogun, cause you forgot Liddell was the other American champ.

Wow, talk about being an idiot, I just forgot about the guy that the threads about

but yeah I do like Shogun to take Liddell if the match were to happen. no one has beaten the caliber fighters that he has in the 205 division, except for Wanderlei.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #21
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I'm reading that this was an after effect of GHB (which Chuck apparently loves).

Pretty unprofessional at any rate. Should have skipped the interview.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #22
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
but yeah I do like Shogun to take Liddell if the match were to happen. no one has beaten the caliber fighters that he has in the 205 division, except for Wanderlei.

Shogun's the more well-rounded fighter but he's essentially a grappler these days (been outstruck in every fight he's had since Coleman) and we all know what happens when Chuck fights grapplers.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #23
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
Shogun's the more well-rounded fighter but he's essentially a grappler these days (been outstruck in every fight he's had since Coleman) and we all know what happens when Chuck fights grapplers.

13 wins by KO, 2 wins by submission. What a grappler.

Shogun by annihilation.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #24
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
13 wins by KO, 2 wins by submission. What a grappler.

Shogun by annihilation.

I prefer to watch the actual fights rather then going to Fightfinder but whatever blows your hair back. Lemme ask you some questions.

How many times has Shogun dropped an opponent with a strike?
How many TKOs does Shogun have with his opponent on their back?
Matt Hughes has 14(t)KOs, he must not be a grappler right?

I'm surprised a non-TUF fan like you would point to (t)KOs vs submissions to show what kind of a fighter a guy is. Grappling doesn't necessarily = submissions.

Shogun's a grappler, it's obvious at this point, watch the mother****er fight. He's been oustruck by Nakamura, Snake, and Overeem since the elbow injury. Prior to that injury he had to use his wrestling for TDs and GnP his way to a decision over Lil Nog. Back then he was also outstruck by Overeem.

Not a knock on the guy, he has fierce, imaginative GnP and amazing ground control. His omoplata reversal on Arona was a thing of beauty and belonged in ADCC. But his stand-up fighting is sloppy as hell and he's lost some of the overwhelming aggression that made it decent in the first place. Shogun can't stand with the better strikers in his divsion, so he doesn't.

Too bad for him Chuck would force him to stand with the best striker in his division. If it gets to the ground, Liddell's dead in the water. Just don't think it would get there.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

You talk about Nakamura as if he's some can. He's a tough dude.

And because his striking appears sloppy, all of a sudden he's a grappler?

He clinches guys up and goes to work. That's the reason I think he would beat Liddell. Liddell fights guys like Tito who are so scared of him (rightfully so) they **** their pants and are scared to engage with him. Shogun wouldn't be scared, he knows he's gonna get hit and he'd get in there. Not stand back and wait for a takedown opportunity that never comes.

But sure, Shogun, not a striker cause he's sloppy.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #26
sunsfan1357
Word.

Shogun is a pretty sloppy striker, but it works for him. Just as Chuck's sloppy ass striking works for him as well (and you can't say Chuck isn't a sloppy striker).

Nakamura is a pretty good striker, nothing great but nothing to under estimate either. I think he's a top 10 205lb guy nonetheless.

You also forget that Overeem was getting the best of Chuck when they fought as well before he gassed. Overeem is pretty much primarily a striker as well who just used his striking to set up the crazy amount of guillotines he slapped on people. ****, Mezger knocked Chuck down to a knee when they fought as well. When Chuck has someone who can actually strike and isn't afraid to go after him and engage with some sort of sense and strategy (unlike Babalu) people tend to get the better of him. Considering that Shogun also has a great chin (he has to since he has been out-struck a lot) and great recovery time I think he will get the best of Chuck at the end, especially if Chuck fights like he did against Tito.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #27
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldgrill4me
It could happen, prides financially in trouble if zuffa ends up purchasing pride the match would happen.

anyway, heres a response from chuck regarding the interview http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6870

Also, Chuck wants to fight everyone. Dana refuses to put Chuck in the ring with Shogun because "no one knows who the hell Shogun is," according to a recent interview with Dana.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #28
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
You talk about Nakamura as if he's some can. He's a tough dude.

And because his striking appears sloppy, all of a sudden he's a grappler?

He clinches guys up and goes to work. That's the reason I think he would beat Liddell. Liddell fights guys like Tito who are so scared of him (rightfully so) they **** their pants and are scared to engage with him. Shogun wouldn't be scared, he knows he's gonna get hit and he'd get in there. Not stand back and wait for a takedown opportunity that never comes.

But sure, Shogun, not a striker cause he's sloppy.

He's been a grappler for a while now. Post-Coleman injury as far as I can tell. Even before that he won most of his fights on the ground, or stomping and soccer kicking his opponent when they were on the ground. I noticed you didn't answer any of my questions either, I wonder if you even thought about them.

When was the last time Shogun did damage inside the clinch? The Rampage fight? He gets TDs from the clinch, it's almost all he does in it anymore.

And I never said Shogun wasn't a striker because he's sloppy. He's a mediocre striker because he's sloppy, among other reasons. He's not a striker because he doesn't win fights through striking. He wins most through Chute Box style GnP.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:41 AM   #29
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Shogun is a pretty sloppy striker, but it works for him. Just as Chuck's sloppy ass striking works for him as well (and you can't say Chuck isn't a sloppy striker).

Nakamura is a pretty good striker, nothing great but nothing to under estimate either. I think he's a top 10 205lb guy nonetheless.

You also forget that Overeem was getting the best of Chuck when they fought as well before he gassed. Overeem is pretty much primarily a striker as well who just used his striking to set up the crazy amount of guillotines he slapped on people. ****, Mezger knocked Chuck down to a knee when they fought as well. When Chuck has someone who can actually strike and isn't afraid to go after him and engage with some sort of sense and strategy (unlike Babalu) people tend to get the better of him. Considering that Shogun also has a great chin (he has to since he has been out-struck a lot) and great recovery time I think he will get the best of Chuck at the end, especially if Chuck fights like he did against Tito.

Nah man, I didn't forget that. This myth about Overeem gassing against Chuck has to stop though. It's not like Gomi where he didn't have his hands up, Chuck just threw that crazy ****er of a punch that comes at a downward angle and Alistair clearly wasn't expecting it.

And in the Mezger fight Guy actually dropped Chuck with an overhand right, none of this knee business, knocked him flat on his ass.

You're right in that Chuck has been in trouble against more technical strikers. Which is why I think a good technical striker could defeat Chuck. Lyoto Machida would have the best chance I imagine. Cro Cop would obviously murder him. Shogun however is as sloppy as Chuck without the power, accuracy, or chin.

Arona, and Lil Nog have better chances. Lil Nog's less likely to get caught with anything, Arona's leg kicks might cripple Chuck to the point he couldn't defend a nice, hard TD.

Pride's goldenboy or not, Shogun just matches up poorly. If he can't clinch it's over. A lot of guys haven't been able to clinch with Liddell.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: