Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: the kobe assist - underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by SchrOEder
    what? seriously? do you mean the shooters bounce?
    not exactly, but you'll only see shooters with great touch getting the shooters bounce on any type of consistent basis. Ray, Steph, Pierce, Crawford all come to mind as recent examples.

Shooters with good touch will have more misses that gently fall off the rim than shooters who don't have good touch.

I think anybody who has ever stepped on a court will tell you that its easier to rebound good shooters because its easier to tell where the ball is coming down from off the rim compared to bad shooters who clank it and it flies off somewhere near the free-thow line

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    bunch of stupid post as usual on ISH

The "Kobe assist" or whatever you want to call it is just when a player (with good touch) misses a shot gently off the rim making it easier for an offensive player standing under the basket to grab the board.

Instead of clanking it off and creating a long rebound which lowers the chance of grabbing an offensive board, these misses gently roll out off the rim making it easier to grab for the offense.

A lot of good shooters with good touch will miss lightly off the rim more times than clanking it and clanking it creates a longer distance for the ball to travel off the rim making it harder for the team on offense to grab the ball and keep the possession. This ins't rocket science.
    This post serious?

Quote Originally Posted by raprap
    This post serious?

I think anybody who has ever stepped on a court will tell you that its easier to rebound good shooters because its easier to tell where the ball is coming down from of the rim, off a miss, more often than not.

Not airballing my layups anymore

not exactly, but you'll only see shooters with great touch getting the shooters bounce on any type of consistent basis. Ray, Steph, Pierce, Crawford all come to mind as recent examples.

Shooters with good touch will have more misses that gently fall off the rim than shooters who don't have good touch.

I think anybody who has ever stepped on a court will tell you that its easier to rebound good shooters because its easier to tell where the ball is coming down from off the rim compared to bad shooters who clank it and it flies off somewhere near the free-thow line
    but what is a good shot? high arcing? low arcing?
    Last edited by SchrOEder; 03-21-2016 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SchrOEder
    but what is a good shot? high arcing? low arcing?
    good shot?

I said shooters with good touch, I didn't say anything about shot selection.

Not airballing my layups anymore

well i think the shooting-technique is important regarding the bounce-back effect once hitting the rim.

NBA Legend

Actually the farther away it bounces, the more likely it is to be an offensive rebound. Defensive teams always have inside positioning unless they blow an assignment.

Kobe misses cause he takes dumb hero shots and puts up bricks. It's that simple. The fact youre trying to spin it as being a purposeful, positive action is beyond homerism. Seek help.

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

The Kobe assist is not about bad shots. It is about taking a shot when you have players in rebounding position or a rebounding advantage. This strategy has been used many times, but Kobe excels due to his ability to hit shots over his defender and his IQ of when to takes shots based on the position of the Lakers bigs.

For example, when Kobe takes a baseline jumper and the Lakers have a good rebounder in good position on the other side of the rim and/or in front of the rim then not only is your best player taking a shot in his comfort zone, but in case he does miss the Lakers still have a good chance to succeed by having a good offensive rebounder right there to turn that missed shot into an easy basket or an extra possession.

Or when Kobe takes the double team and gets a shot with the Laker bigs in good rebounding position and a 4-3 player rebounding advantage.

The Kobe assist is when one of the best one-on-one isolation players of all time gets a shot he is comfortable with while his big, skilled, rebounding teammates are in position for securing an extra possession and an often easy basket for the the Lakers.