Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Default US to give Syrian rebels aid

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/w...220823223.html

[QUOTE]In a sharp escalation of the U.S. role in Syria's bloody civil war, the White House announced late Thursday that it will provide military aid to rebels fighting to topple President Bashar al-Assad after confirming that his government used chemical weapons against the opposition.

Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes told reporters on a conference call that President Barack Obama had heard pleas from Syria's rebel Supreme Military Council (SMC) for more help. "Our aim is to be responsive," Rhodes said, underlining that the new assistance would have "direct military purposes."

Rhodes brushed aside repeated questions about whether this meant Washington would now start providing weapons to the rebels, insisting he could not give an "inventory" of the aid. But while he never explicitly confirmed that Obama had decided to to arm the opposition, he left little doubt about Washington's new course of action.

"The president has made a decision about providing more support to the opposition. That will involve providing direct support to the SMC. That includes military support. I cannot detail for you all of the types of that support for a variety of reasons," Rhodes said. The assistance is "aimed at strengthening the effectiveness of the SMC on the ground."

Obama reached the decision after America's intelligence community concluded that "the Assad regime has used chemical weapons, including the nerve agent sarin, on a small scale against the opposition multiple times in the last year," Rhodes said. Those attacks killed at least 100-150 people, he added. Rhodes said Assad's forces used chemical weapons on March 19, April 13, May 14 and May 23.

The confirmation

Default Re: US to give Syrian rebels aid

LETS PARTICIPATE IN ALL THE WARS!!

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
    LETS PARTICIPATE IN ALL THE WARS!!

Yay!
    Whats worst is that this isn't a real civil war. The rebels are a bunch of Islamist jihadists from foreign countries trying to establish an Islamist state in Syria. It's funny how our media chalks these guys up as freedom fighters when real reports show these rebels as pure savages.. I'm talking about cannibalism, beheading of kids, massacring innocent civilians(especially non-sunni's), etc. US just wants to create a new puppet state in the region and to create a new buffer state..

But I guess our media has the ability to sell us anything?

This world is a real joke. There is no more doubt of how immoral and tyrannical the US Government has become. Anyone who doesn't realize it is blind and naive.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    This world is a real joke. There is no more doubt of how immoral and tyrannical the US Government has become. Anyone who doesn't realize it is blind and naive.

I love how the gov't all of a sudden uses the excuse of chemical weapons as a reason to support the rebels. Because using drone strikes to kill innocent civilians is way more humane

Apparently the pro-assad forces were starting to gain ground and win some key points as well and bam this report comes out! It's Libya 2.0 here

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Whats worst is that this isn't a real civil war. The rebels are a bunch of Islamist jihadists from foreign countries trying to establish an Islamist state in Syria. It's funny how our media chalks these guys up as freedom fighters when real reports show these rebels as pure savages.. I'm talking about cannibalism, beheading of kids, massacring innocent civilians(especially non-sunni's), etc. US just wants to create a new puppet state in the region and to create a new buffer state..

But I guess our media has the ability to sell us anything?
    all true............US needs to stay the fukk out of this conflict

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer

I love how the gov't all of a sudden uses the excuse of chemical weapons as a reason to support the rebels. Because using drone strikes to kill innocent civilians is way more humane

Apparently the pro-assad forces were starting to gain ground and win some key points as well and bam this report comes out! It's Libya 2.0 here
    you

they did this with Afghanistan and Iran and Iraq, it's a vicious cycle. Play both sides, arm them to the teeth and profit off the mass killings. America's chief export is cheap entertainment and murder on a massive scale.

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    they did this with Afghanistan and Iran and Iraq, it's a vicious cycle. Play both sides, arm them to the teeth and profit off the mass killings. America's chief export is cheap entertainment and murder on a massive scale.
    surely obama is too smart to do this ?

Goddamnit. I still had a glimmer of hope that we wouldn't get involved, but I knew this was going to come eventually. How ironic is it that he wants to severely tighten arms regulations on his own people, yet he's arming "rebels" (a joke, as knickballer put it) with military weapons knowing damn well they're going to end up in Al Qadeda's hands? And McCain wants to send them TANKS. I don't know how the rest of the world isn't seeing it for what it is. The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt just officially opened up the borders telling them to join the war. Thousands of bodies have been found with Saudi identification papers. There's YouTube footage of Al Nusra Front soldiers gassing rabbits with sarin and threatening to do the same to minority Muslims. And not to mention there's a friggen election next year anyway...if the "Syrian People" simply wanted to remove him and instill "democracy" ( ), why not do it democratically? I don't know, man. If I didn't have Christian relatives in Syria that could be killed with weapons I helped fund, it would be downright hysterical to me. I'm a proud American, but I really hope Russia has enough pull with NATO and the UN to convince them that this is wrong. And if not, helping Syria out the "democratic" way.

If not, kiss every Alawaite Muslim and Christian goodbye. This isn't going to be good.
    Last edited by code green; 06-14-2013 at 02:29 PM.

We are putting a no-fly zone in a country that is not ours.

Why are we involve in Syria? We have enough problem of our own.

Banned

proven they use chemical warefare

we decide to put soldiers there

Decent college freshman

This is a huge mistake. These "rebels" are literally Al-Qaeda terrorists who want to create an Islamic state under sharia law.

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    This is a huge mistake. These "rebels" are literally Al-Qaeda terrorists who want to create an Islamic state under sharia law.
    The US gov't is ridiculous. It was just 12 yrs ago that Bush claimed the "taliban and Al-Qaeda" were the biggest threat to our "freedom". Now we are arming them, calling them freedom fighters.

rank sentamentalist

so much misinformation

the rebel coalition is a highly decentralized loose affiliation of dozens of interests, al-nusra is only a minority
    no proof has been offered for/against the sarin charges
    there isn't a no-fly zone is on the table
    no single nation is arming both sides
    assad has been open to talks w/o preconditions for months
    the rebels will only negotiate if assad's government is not represented

most importantly with regards to today's headlines, the euro lift of its weapons boycott to the rebels and now american military direct support for rebels will only prolong the conflict and trigger more violence.

if you've been paying attention for the past few weeks, rebels have taken a number of hits. at their high point of territorial control, they had taken 2 of the 16 provincial capitals. now they have only 1 of 16.

with Assad having acknowledged receipt of Russian anti-missiles, a substantial injection of western arms will not tip the scales, it will only balance them and prolong fighting. it will give incentive to the rebels to maintain their no-negotiation stance under the presumption that, like Libya, like Bosnia in the 90s, eventually western democracies will feel compelled to put "boots on the ground" and Assad will at last be vanquished.

these recent decisions are merely extending false hopes that are in all likelihood going to turn true unless serious negotiations in Geneva, that first and foremost acknowledge the Iranian stake in the conflict and its influence in the region, finally conclude with a ceasefire that would at least temporarily consolidate both rebel and gov't positions.

if that doesn't happen, this will continue to be a long and bloody conflict. we'll see what happens if/when Geneva II takes place, and in what form. im not holding my breath especially after this latest announcement.

btw, a report from three weeks ago draws indirect evidence that CIA logistical planning for Qatari arming of rebels throughout 2012 couldn't possibly have prevented weapons from going to Al-Nusra, the offshoot of ISIS, which was the main post-invasion Al-Quaeda affiliate in Iraq. this is drawn from recent statements after Coalition consolidation that Qatar via its CIA consultants were tightening checks on arms flows; of which if you haven't heard its sent approx $3 billion worth. furthermore there is a strong correlation between Qatari arming of the rebels (through Turkey btw, thats how they get north) and increasing death tolls in the north on both sides of the conflict. its chronologically quite striking.

the conclusion to draw from all of that is that the US has already left its imprints on the conflict in ways that 99% could not have occurred without the involvement of their overseas intelligence centers
    Last edited by RidonKs; 06-14-2013 at 09:38 PM.