Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Default Re: #4 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

"Magic is a top 5 player all-time." Oh the humanity!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI

College star

Magic Johnson

U mirin my face?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Magic keeps getting better the more people dont actually remember him. Wilt seems to have the opposite going on. Amusing to see....

And for the record I have no issue with someone calling Magic #4 all time. Or #1 for that matter. Hes on a level im not fighting anyone over if they say hes better than anyone.

I just...find it funny. Magic was NOT this highly ranked back in the day. Ive seen articles posted from people saying he was the second best Johnson in the league after Kevin in the late 80s, and clearly remember who I think was doug moe on CBS saying Moncrief was just as good. And I know I remember Mike fratello putting Bernard King over Magic. I watched a video on the 82 Lakers and in the comments people were calling Magic the GOAT. In 82 he was behind Gus williams, Gervin, Parish, and Moncrief in MVP voting. Gus and Gervin ahead of him on the all NBA teams.

But 30 years later hes better than Larry Bird, Wilt, and people were saying Russell too.

I will say for the record he was just underrated at the time.

But still. Strikes me as odd.
    It is because he broke out and started coming on to his own in the late 80s, not the early 80s.

That is when he started getting his recognition but Jordan was emerging too so he didn't ge tthat much hype.

#4 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops Voting

36- Magic Johnson
    28- Wilt Chamberlain
    4- Larry Bird
    2- Shaquille O'Neal
    Last edited by Deuce Bigalow; 08-20-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    #4 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops Voting

34- Magic Johnson
    28- Wilt Chamberlain
    3- Larry Bird
    2- Shaquille O'Neal
    this is your thread but I think you can skip number 5 thread and go to 6..Magic and Wilt are getting so many votes who ever loses should just be made number 5...no one else is even close

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    this is your thread but I think you can skip number 5 thread and go to 6..Magic and Wilt are getting so many votes who ever loses should just be made number 5...no one else is even close
    Well, I'm sure Bird is going to get a lot of votes for #5.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    you'd think so, but this isn't always the case:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...4&postcount=16

the leading minority in a plurality vote won't always win successive run-offs, since a segmented subset of the population might have different tendencies from the rest of the voters (particular with a smaller sample, though you also see this on broader scales, occasionally)

you really need to hold different votes for each rank

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Well, I'm sure Bird is going to get a lot of votes for #5.
    lol my man Deuce is on point

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Magic keeps getting better the more people dont actually remember him. Wilt seems to have the opposite going on. Amusing to see....

And for the record I have no issue with someone calling Magic #4 all time. Or #1 for that matter. Hes on a level im not fighting anyone over if they say hes better than anyone.

I just...find it funny. Magic was NOT this highly ranked back in the day. Ive seen articles posted from people saying he was the second best Johnson in the league after Kevin in the late 80s, and clearly remember who I think was doug moe on CBS saying Moncrief was just as good. And I know I remember Mike fratello putting Bernard King over Magic. I watched a video on the 82 Lakers and in the comments people were calling Magic the GOAT. In 82 he was behind Gus williams, Gervin, Parish, and Moncrief in MVP voting. Gus and Gervin ahead of him on the all NBA teams.

But 30 years later hes better than Larry Bird, Wilt, and people were saying Russell too.

I will say for the record he was just underrated at the time.

But still. Strikes me as odd.
    Bird was cleaning Magic's clock for the most part from an individual standpoint up until his back problems really began to surface on a consistent, debilitating basis. After that, you could make a pretty strong case for Jordan and/or Barkley for the 1989/1990 MVP's that Magic added to his resume, particularly 1990. Everybody knows the deal with the 1980 Finals MVP. It was Bird who swept up all of the Player of the Year awards their final seasons in college (AP, Naismith, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, etc), Bird who won the NBA Rookie of the Year the following season, made All-NBA 1st Team and placed 4th in MVP voting (Magic was not in the top ten), Bird who won three consecutive NBA MVP's from 1984-86 before Magic even got his first. On and on...

If Wilt takes this, I've got a feeling I may be reposting this in the #5 thread.
    Last edited by Hands of Iron; 08-20-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    you'd think so, but this isn't always the case:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...4&postcount=16

the leading minority in a plurality vote won't always win successive run-offs, since a segmented subset of the population might have different tendencies from the rest of the voters (particular with a smaller sample, though you also see this on broader scales, occasionally)

you really need to hold different votes for each rank

lol my man Deuce is on point
    Expect "Dung Bunglin' tool" to rig the voting to make sure Wilt remains out fo the top 5

The more I learn about Bird, the more I think maybe he should be over Magic...Lakers fans are relentless of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Expect "Dung Bunglin' tool" to rig the voting to make sure Wilt remains out fo the top 5

The more I learn about Bird, the more I think maybe he should be over Magic...Lakers fans are relentless of course.
    "Dung Bunglin tool"

"Rings don't matter" -RRR3

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

can we start the #5 thread now? Looks like Magic has it.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3

I have been voting Bird since number 2.

[ [ Sickplicity ] ]

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    can we start the #5 thread now? Looks like Magic has it.

Bird > Magic, though.

Magic

I dont get it why Kobe the GOAT Lakers is still not in the list.. Doesnt make sense at all..