Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Which Players Have Gotten the Most Overrated Since Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    He is a very good candidate, but overrating him started while he still played. It started at around 1996-1997. He is constantly overrated since then. I'm not saying he wasn't the best player of all time, but people are pretending as if he is in a league of his own which is untrue.
    No, he IS in a league of his own....He just is..

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    He is on a league of his own, at least for those who saw him play. I didn't like the guy too, while he played, but recognized his skills and mental ability. I would say he's eventually going to be underrated due to people who didn't saw him play.
    I saw him play. But I saw Bird and Magic play before him and a good chunk of Kareem. I've seen quite a few of them play. MJ was great, may have been the greatest of all time, but there were others not any worse. Peak Bird is not any worse. Peak Shaq is not any worse. I highly doubt peak Kareem and peak Wilt were any worse. They are a few marketing campaigns behind, that's basically it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    Reggie Miller.
    I don't know about that. I mean, how highly is he even rated. Most people don't even think he's a HOFer

Pippen, and dude is one of my favorite players ever.

He's just not what people make him out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    I saw him play. But I saw Bird and Magic play before him and a good chunk of Kareem. I've seen quite a few of them play. MJ was great, may have been the greatest of all time, but there were others not any worse. Peak Bird is not any worse. Peak Shaq is not any worse. I highly doubt peak Kareem and peak Wilt were any worse. They are a few marketing campaigns behind, that's basically it.
    MJ is no doubt on the short list. The problem is people who act like its preposterous to not think he's the runaway best.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Pippen, and dude is one of my favorite players ever.

He's just not what people make him out to be.
    He is defensively, but he was a pretty average offensive player.

Banned

Judging by some of the ridiculous things said on this forum by some, Scottie Pippen.

Scottie Pippen>Dwyane Wade or Scottie Pippen=Lebron James are things people have actually typed and posted with a straight face.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Judging by some of the ridiculous things said on this forum by some, Scottie Pippen.

Scottie Pippen>Dwyane Wade or Scottie Pippen=Lebron James are things people have actually typed and posted with a straight face.
    Well, they don't say that to elevate Pippen. They say that to demean the other guys

I also wouldn't say that Miller is overrated now. Maybe more overrated when he played and was a respected star player, and like most respected star players, like lets say an Iverson, many times their names are thrown around to point out how bad a current player is. Like, "this player is no good, he's just a Reggie Milller." Sorry, I can't think of a better phrase to use as an example.

But for example, Iverson, he was looked as the man, but now a days people bring him up as if he was a horrible player. And I guess many players that are phrased today will also have the same fate by future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Exactly this.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    Reggie Miller.
    yes

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Not an overrated player, but I think Hakeem gets a little overrated when it comes to legacy. You would Shaq or Duncan has a greater chance of getting knocked off the top 10 list before him.

National High School Star

scottie pippen is UNDERRATED.. tell me why hes the only Co-Alpha or 1-2 punch who isnt in the top 10? ...

magic/kareem, kobe/shaq are easily top 10, yet pippen, who anchored the defense and primary playmaking duties for 6 rings is left out? makes no sense.

pippen >> wade easily in terms of everything (leadership, defense, skill, hunger etc)

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Not an overrated player, but I think Hakeem gets a little overrated when it comes to legacy. You would Shaq or Duncan has a greater chance of getting knocked off the top 10 list before him.
    ALl 3 players have their cult of followers so fans of all 3 happen to believe their big guy is uunderrated compared to the other two. But the fact of the matter is, you easily build a case for all three being better than the other 2.

For Shaq, the case is built aroundd dominance, fur Duncan it's teamplay and for Hakeem it's offensive skillls and killer defense. To me, Hakeem was the most entertaning to watch. so he is my favorite player of the 3. (And 2nd favorite all-time only behind Magic.) But I can easily understand people having Shaq and/or Duncan ahead of him as far as the GOAT list is concerned.

Reggie Miller, Pippen, Barkley