Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Default Pope Francis is coming in 10 days to the U.S - What do you think about him?

Newsweek has a piece on him.

http://www.newsweek.com/2015/09/18/w...on-370451.html

A Brazilian blogger has a good article explaining how Pope Francis social-economic speaches are in line with what past Popes wrote.

http://otaviopinto.com/index.php/201...just-catholic/

EDIT: If possible, tell us your religion (or lack of, if that's the case). It would be interesting to know that non catholics think of him.
    Last edited by lakers_forever; 09-12-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Default Re: Pope Francis is coming in 10 days to the U.S - What do you think about him?

All religions need to be banned.

Default Re: Pope Francis is coming in 10 days to the U.S - What do you think about him?

Some parts of past Pope's writtings according to the above link*. I bet those guys would be also accused of being "communists" by some republicans today.

Some parts:

Pope Leo XII's Rerum Novarum, as explained by G.K Chesterton.
    The existing concentration of wealth in the Capitalist “laid upon the labouring millions a yoke little better than slavery.” [...] That, while wage-earners are entitled to combine and even to strike, on certain conditions of justice, it would be better if “the poor so far as possible should become owners”; that is, small capitalists or possessors of the means of production

Pius XI:

Free competition has destroyed itself; economic dictatorship has supplanted the free market; unbridled ambition for power has likewise succeeded greed for gain; all economic life has become tragically hard, inexorable, and cruel

Pope Paul VI:

If certain landed estates impede the general prosperity because they are extensive, unused or poorly used, or because they bring hardship to peoples or are detrimental to the interests of the country, the common good sometimes demands their expropriation.

Even recent Pope Benedict XVI

Although the world is sadly marked by ‘hotbeds of tension and conflict caused by growing instances of inequality between rich and poor, by the prevalence of a selfish and individualistic mindset which also finds expression in an unregulated financial capitalism,’ as well as by various forms of terrorism and crime”

* http://otaviopinto.com/index.php/201...just-catholic/
    Last edited by lakers_forever; 09-12-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    All religions need to be banned.
    Sure. It worked great in the Soviet Union... Every man should have the right to have any religion (or no religion at all) and not be persecuted or have his character judged because of that.

No man is good or bad just for being an atheist. Same with Christians...

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    Sure. It worked great in the Soviet Union... Every man should have the right to have any religion (or no religion at all) and not be persecuted or have his character judged because of that.

No man is good or bad just for being an atheist. Same with Christians...
    I was probably too radical, but a significantly reduced roles of the religions in the 21st societies would be a positive a thing.

Anyway. I think he is great. Love his words about immigrants. Hope he talks about it, specially when that idiot Trump is so big in the news over there right now*.

* No. I'm latin american and have no plan on ever living in the US. In fact, no one in the history of my family has ever immigrated to the US. I have visited (as a tourist, with my parents) Orlando (Disney ) and Miami when I was 11 though.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy
    I was probably too radical, but a significantly reduced roles of the religions in the 21st societies would be a positive a thing.
    That's better.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

S

No man is good or bad just for being an atheist.

I've never met an atheist with the slightest bit of compassion towards their fellow man. Instead, I've seen atheists just harbor unhealthy amounts of disdain and vitriol for those that practice a particular faith (primarily Christianity). It's almost with extreme certainty that the only thing keeping man from becoming a monster is organized religion, or at least some semblance of faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I've never met an atheist with the slightest bit of compassion towards their fellow man. Instead, I've seen atheists just harbor unhealthy amounts of disdain and vitriol for those that practice a particular faith (primarily Christianity). It's almost with extreme certainty that the only thing keeping man from becoming a monster is organized religion, or at least some semblance of faith.
    I get your point. I'm catholic and yes, I've also seen atheists with some disdain against people of faith. But I also know atheists who are respectful and great human beings, who help their fellow man.

But, please, don't ruin the thread with this atheist x religious thing.

Could you please tell what do you think about Pope Francis? Also, state your religion (if you want to)

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I get your point. I'm catholic and yes, I've also seen atheists with some disdain against people of faith. But I also know atheists who are respectful and great human beings, who help their fellow man.

Could you please tell what do you think about Pope Francis? Also, state your religion (if you want to)

The Pope is too liberal for my liking. But I want to believe that he's Liberal because he wants to bridge the gap between non-Christians and Christians. If that is indeed the case, then more power to him. However, I don't care too much about Pope's. I was raised Catholic, but I don't get too involved with all the rules and customs of the Church.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Im not the least bit religious but hes fine by me. Seems to be as rational as you can expect a person in his position to be.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Im not the least bit religious but hes fine by me. Seems to be as rational as you can expect a person in his position to be.
    i think this is the feeling of most people in the world...

strange when you consider what hes preaching

He's wonderful compared to the shit we've had for the last couple of decades. Cares about the environment, homosexuals in Christianity, women, persecution, justice for those wronged by pedophiles, mercy, and poverty especially since he grew up not having shit. He helped restore relations with the US and Cuba, very impressive.

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

The disdain atheists have for people of faith has almost always been reactive--how can you not loath a Christian bigot like Kim Davis? Or moral hypocrites like the Dugars?
    Last edited by ThePhantomCreep; 09-12-2015 at 04:03 PM.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    The Pope is too liberal for my liking. But I want to believe that he's Liberal because he wants to bridge the gap between non-Christians and Christians. If that is indeed the case, then more power to him. However, I don't care too much about Pope's. I was raised Catholic, but I don't get too involved with all the rules and customs of the Church.
    Condoning lies and two faced tactics to pervert people into further lies....

The sooner we've evolved out of silly religious thinking the better off we'll be.