Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent playground baller KobeLookLike2Pac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bracer028
    football is only popular in america because it gives fat americans a chance to become a pro at a sport.

Your average "fat" american football player could run you into the grave.

Serious playground baller

Plus, you have the ridiculous commercial brakes, and it seems to drag at times. I think basketball, when FT's are low, is the most exciting game. Watching a team like Phoenix last year was great, as well as the old Mavs team.
    Exactly. Also people bash baseball but atleast in baseball you have continuous play instead of constant stop and starts between plays.

Quote Originally Posted by bracer028
    football is only popular in america because it gives fat americans a chance to become a pro at a sport.
    Hahah, actually made me laugh because it's at least partially true.

Saw a basketball once

What a joke of a thread the only Football is what you guys call soccer and that's it American football isn't popular anywhere in the world and it will stay that way forever. I prefer basketball over the real football but don't even compare that joke you guys call football to the most popular sport in the world , oh and BTW there are several places where average people are bigger and stronger than your regular american , and and even third world countries can afford the expensive equipment if the sport is successfull in their comunity, but most people in the world are not even interested in playing "football".

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Eventually the world will see soccer like the US does.
    There's a much better chance of the U.S. finally seeing soccer the way the world does.

with maturity it just isn't intense or challenging enough for adults.
    You obviously have never been in the 90th minute up by a goal but playing a man down and the other team has earned a corner. Either that or you're still a kid.

I know the world has not embraced football because of economical reasons(football is expensive to play), poor diets not capable of producing physical specimens able to withstand the rigors of football
    Maybe the world has not embraced it because they find it stupid. And as far as your "poor diets not capable of producing physical specimens able to withstand the rigors of football" argument, I have one word for you: RUGBY. You know, that game that is enormously popular in Europe and Australia that has all the dangers of American football without all the expensive protective gear?

your average soccer player could literally be killed on a pro football field
    Um, have you ever seen a professional soccer player in person? There are of course exceptions, as in all sports, but most of them are quite capable of holding their own against other athletes, and some of them are huge (6'6" is not terribly uncommon for a pro soccer player). And all of them are in better shape than any American football player, I can guarantee that. Their job is to run for 95 straight minutes.

and just pure stubbornness for tradition
    Did it ever occur to you that they might find something pure in a game that all you need in order to play is a ball? Or something beautiful in the things that these athletes are able to do without ever using their hands?

I am convinced that the world will show more interest in football as economies grow, people start eating better diets, and the USA comes back to earth and stops alienating the rest of the world.
    Do you have a plan to get any of that to happen? And as far as your "eating better diets" argument is concerned, the last time I checked, the American diet was pretty deplorable. Go read Fast Food Nation or watch Supersize Me.

However that is not the case go to the soccer matches at these schools and then go to the varsity football games. The football games have twice as many people as the soccer games(the fan ratio is at least 10:1 in a normal high school)
    And that has nothing to do with the fact that the average public high school in this country pours much more money into their football programs than their soccer programs, right? And I bet it also has nothing to do with the fact that there are far more players on a football team than a soccer team, so there are likely more friends/parents/relatives going to watch football.

That right there proves to me that football will eventually be king.
    If the fact that American football is more popular with American high school students is enough to prove to you that the rest of the world will eventually like football more than soccer, than you are easily persuaded, my friend. I hope for your sake that there are no door-to-door salesmen in your neighborhood.

Billions of people worldwide watch the World Cup everytime it is played. Remember that the next time you watch the "Super" bowl.
    Last edited by CakeorDeath; 07-10-2006 at 07:46 PM.

Facts Are Misleading

Default ...

Personally, I can't stand watching soccer. I always rip on one of my friends because he was real close to playing summer soccer with a bunch of locals instead of playing on a real high level basketball team - Summer All-Star team, if you will.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is I know why people hate soccer. But at the same time you have to realise that the passion you have for one sport, in most of our cases basketball, sometimes puts a smoke screen up and anything that threatens your sport, you put down. Well, there are a gazillion across the world that have that same passion for soccer.

Putting down a sport just because you don't like it is a real lame reason. If we're over in France & talk bad about soccer you won't make many friends. If you come over from France to the USA & talk ball, play it..whatever, you'll fit in.

Different cultures is what it comes down to. At the end of the day, though, you have to respect each sport. & if you don't like it, just think how many people use that sport to "get away from things." Some people use drugs to get away from things, some people use sports as a way to get away. Sports keep people out of trouble, and for that reason alone I won't disrespect peope who like soccer, whatever floats your boat ya know?

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    Maybe the world has not embraced it because they find it stupid. And as far as your "poor diets not capable of producing physical specimens able to withstand the rigors of football" argument, I have one word for you: RUGBY. You know, that game that is enormously popular in Europe and Australia that has all the dangers of American football without all the expensive protective gear?
    There was a time in our history where our football players used little to no protective gear as well. But that was before they developed into the monstrosities that they are today. Football players are faster, stronger, leaner and meaner than Rugby players. You have 250-300 pound men with almost no body fat and who can bench press your average european car, barreling down the field at speeds that would put a lot of 150 lb soccer players to shame. Compare the average Rugby player to your average football player and you will see why the need for added equipment.

Like I said we have football and we have soccer. We choose football. Most people from other countries don't care for football because they don't have that option. Soccer is a great sport.....for children. They love it, but by the time they grow up and are exposed to football in high school, soccer just seems drab by comparison. Soccer is much cheaper and less violent than football so you would think that schools would push for it, but you can't deny the people what they want. They want entertainment, and soccer just does not cut it.

I bet there was a time that people thought those Americans with their silly NBA basketball was stupid too. Now it's pretty much every young basketball player's dream throughout the world.

V|iLL|ainy ◊ iLL

I believe basketball can take over one day although it might be 2-300 years down the line
    200 to 300 years into the future - the sports as you know them today will not exist. Instead, other sports will be invented and established. What sports you ask?

Funky Banana Hump:

Pain Killers:

Who's The Biggest Puzzy:

Banned

QUOTE by:KobeLookLike2Pac "And you will never see a basketball game where they just decide that neither team is capable of producing an advantage over one another and just give up and start having a freethrow contest or a game of H-O-R-S-E."

Yeah... Soccer Succks

Saw a basketball once

You keep talking about how big and strong they are , and how "VIOLENT" they are , I don't watch a sport to see that **** and if i wanted to i would watch violence i'd watch boxing or real wrestling ( im a big fan of boxing BTW) most countries tho, have the option to play "football" tho , they just don't like it and it will never be popular worldwide, What people look in a sport is their ability or knowing how to play a sport not OUR GUYS ARE SO BIG THAT THEY WOULD KILL A SOCCER TEAM ? wtf are you 13 years old ? that sounds a lot like my dad can beat your dad. I understand how americans don't like soccer , since most of their players are terrible.

Also you need to go out and see the world , the US isn't the country with bigger/stronger people in average, and about the economic factor , baseball is also a game that requires expensive equipment and is the most popular in many third world countries in the caribean.

Saw a basketball once

LOL

You know what? i agree, soccer is for children... ONLY IN THE USA. And why? Just look at the social contructs in our society. It's pretty damn obvious. Your argument flawed on pretty much every logical level. Nice try tho.

This thread has been entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Grok
    baseball is also a game that requires expensive equipment and is the most popular in many third world countries in the caribean.

Organized baseball doesn't even come close to organized football as far as expense, not even close. Equipment, staff, officiating....it ain't cheap.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KobeLookLike2Pac
    There was a time in our history where our football players used little to no protective gear as well. But that was before they developed into the monstrosities that they are today. Football players are faster, stronger, leaner and meaner than Rugby players. You have 250-300 pound men with almost no body fat and who can bench press your average european car, barreling down the field at speeds that would put a lot of 150 lb soccer players to shame. Compare the average Rugby player to your average football player and you will see why the need for added equipment.

Like I said we have football and we have soccer. We choose football. Most people from other countries don't care for football because they don't have that option. Soccer is a great sport.....for children. They love it, but by the time they grow up and are exposed to football in high school, soccer just seems drab by comparison. Soccer is much cheaper and less violent than football so you would think that schools would push for it, but you can't deny the people what they want. They want entertainment, and soccer just does not cut it.

I bet there was a time that people thought those Americans with their silly NBA basketball was stupid too. Now it's pretty much every young basketball player's dream throughout the world.

I was going to say something a billion people watching the World Cup and comparisons to the Super Bowl, but CakeorDeath beat me to the punch.

Anyways, you're comparing high schools to a world sport man. HIGH SCHOOLS??? So you're saying that just because football is more popular than soccer in high school, in the future football will be more popular??? HIGH SCHOOL??? Are you kidding me??? If you're doing that, then your argument is pretty weak.

Have you ever watched a Spanish Liga, English Premier League, or a Serie A game??? Look up in the stands and tell me you've ever seen crazier fans like that in your life. In American football games, you can't light those fire crackers or whatever they light up in those soccer games.

Soccer is more fun. It's non-stop action for ninety minutes. There are no commercial breaks or timeouts. Just non-stop fun.

Is there a World Cup for American Football every four years that lasts a month??? No, you know why??? Because when you said that the rest of the world can't afford to play American Football because of the equipment, the National Football League can't afford to have an event like the World Cup for the National Football League. Why??? Because it won't gain international attention. Nobody really cares for the National Football League than they do with soccer, why??? Because they grew up around soccer, they talk about it, breathe it, everything. Also, it'll be too costly and it won't make sense, therefore they can't afford to play. Furthermore, it'll mess up the team's offseason planning.

Next time you're trying to berate the World Cup or soccer, please don't mention high schools, you'll get laughed at.

Saw a basketball once

Default re

poor diets not capable of producing physical specimens able to withstand the rigors of football(your average soccer player could literally be killed on a pro football field)

Wtf ?!! An American talking trash about bad diets?! LOL
    Anyway, like a poster said earlier, you're comparing apples and oranges here. An in terms of global success, American football won't ever touch football, that's for sure!

american football is for kids, rugby is for real men