Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NBA Live 13

Default Re: NBA Live 13

Pretty good screenshots. The Lebron shot is very good. Haven't owned a bball game since NBA Live 10. Hoping Live comes back strong.

Made that high school varsity squad Hotbullets's Avatar

The jerseys look like they're painted on.

Getting kinda bored with the 2K-series, so I really hope NBA Live will be good. But I doubt it honestly.

NBA Superstar

Like any basketball game information released around this time, I wouldn't put much stock into anything we've seen from Live at this point. Even in September (a month prior to release) a lot of the footage we see from NBA games comes from builds completed two to three months prior. As such, I think we could assume the builds we saw at E3 or Live and 2K are both likely quite dated themselves. One of the telling signs right off the bat would be Richard Hamilton's hair (he's been bald for the past year).

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Like any basketball game information released around this time, I wouldn't put much stock into anything we've seen from Live at this point. Even in September (a month prior to release) a lot of the footage we see from NBA games comes from builds completed two to three months prior. As such, I think we could assume the builds we saw at E3 or Live and 2K are both likely quite dated themselves. One of the telling signs right off the bat would be Richard Hamilton's hair (he's been bald for the past year).
    You are thinking of demos. Playable demos are usually based on builds a couple of months old, and there are good reasons for this. Some mechanics need to be build around the demo; the gameplay they have needs to be polished a bit for the demo; they have to go through testing for the demo; they have to get their demo reviewed and approved, etc.

This doesn't apply to footage or screen shots. What reason would they have to release 3 month old screen shots and trailers instead of the newest, best looking stuff they have?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You are thinking of demos. Playable demos are usually based on builds a couple of months old, and there are good reasons for this. Some mechanics need to be build around the demo; the gameplay they have needs to be polished a bit for the demo; they have to go through testing for the demo; they have to get their demo reviewed and approved, etc. As such, often what the public sees tends to be dated.

This doesn't apply to footage or screen shots. What reason would they have to release 3 month old screen shots and trailers instead of the newest, best looking stuff they have?
    Yes, demos are often old builds. However, the same can be said for early gameplay clips released. Surely, an all-but-finished copy tends to make the rounds about a week or two prior but before that, things are typically still in the making. I'm not sure it's as simple as 2K creating a June 7th build, a June 8th build, etc. Even for non-demos, I think it takes a little extra to create a "build" that's releasable for things to be extracted from it.

The trailers for each game will surely be made up of footage from a near-finished build. That's why official trailers don't tend to drop until mid- to late August aka nearly three months from now (like 2K's last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M88NkqIvdc4 and the year before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIy9_...eature=relmfu). Even then, the games weren't complete. Aesthetically, Jordan had a purple tongue, he didn't have his leg band, Bill Laimbeer was wearing the wrong jersey number, LaPhonso Ellis hadn't even signed on yet, etc. Further, the early video clips released this past year had every single layup bouncing way off the high glass (this was true in the demo as well). Since those clips were old builds, this was adjusted for the final product.

So again, I think there's still a lot of gameplay changes to be made in each game, but I especially think aesthetics are subject to change. It seems those are the most common late adjustments and perhaps the easiest to make.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 06-07-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Local High School Star IBLEEDGREEN20's Avatar

the lebron pic caught my eye because of the banners in the background. NBA live 10 TD Garden arena for celtics had the banners but they all said "66".. really pissed me off..

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Rumors starting to swirl in the gaming industry that it will be canceled or pushed back again. Absolutely ZERO news last couple months and it had a TERRIBLE showing at E3 and earlier previews said it was very very glitchy. Unfortunately I'll be FORCED to buy 2K again due to no choice. I miss the old free glowing style of Live

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Rumors starting to swirl in the gaming industry that it will be canceled or pushed back again. Absolutely ZERO news last couple months and it had a TERRIBLE showing at E3 and earlier previews said it was very very glitchy. Unfortunately I'll be FORCED to buy 2K again due to no choice. I miss the old free glowing style of Live
    lol Live has sucked so bad ever since the 360 came out. 2K has been showing them up year after year

**** EA. They were hyping Elite 11 to be the best basketball game of all time, then they released that god awful demo

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    lol Live has sucked so bad ever since the 360 came out. 2K has been showing them up year after year

**** EA. They were hyping Elite 11 to be the best basketball game of all time, then they released that god awful demo
    I just hate not having options... because then 2K knows they don't really have to step up and people can't really do much but buy it anyways. 2K12 was great first week or two but for some reason it had terrible replayability compared to previous 2K games.

I just hate not having options... because then 2K knows they don't really have to step up and people can't really do much but buy it anyways. 2K12 was great first week or two but for some reason it had terrible replayability compared to previous 2K games.
    Competition is always good. Just look at how Madden football games have declined over the years since they have the exclusive license. Still, I just do not like EA. They seem lazy to me. 2K seems more ambitious.

I disagree about the re-playability. I played the shit out of 2K12. It's not my favorite game, but it's probably the game I have played the most since it came out.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease ThyGreatOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Competition is always good. Just look at how Madden football games have declined over the years since they have the exclusive license. Still, I just do not like EA. They seem lazy to me. 2K seems more ambitious.

I disagree about the re-playability. I played the shit out of 2K12. It's not my favorite game, but it's probably the game I have played the most since it came out.
    Agreed! There is a severe lack of competition between the sporting video games and we the consumers are paying the ultimate price for it! Just as you said, without the proper competition these gaming companies seem to not care if the game is rushed, flawed, and marred with glitches!

Quote Originally Posted by ThyGreatOne
    Agreed! There is a severe lack of competition between the sporting video games and we the consumers are paying the ultimate price for it! Just as you said, without the proper competition these gaming companies seem to not care if the game is rushed, flawed, and marred with glitches!
    Yup..

NBA Superstar

Perhaps someone else can post the link, because I am unable to right now, but I caught wind in the past few days of a Live guy stating his crew was working extremely hard to get their game to beta. I'm not well-versed in the video game creation arena, but some folks seem to have suggested that a game fighting just to get to beta at this point might mean trouble for meeting their October 2nd release date.

I'm not entirely sure I agree. I believe competition can often be a great thing, but I don't think the present lack thereof affects NBA 2K as much as many people think it does.

For starters, 2K (and companies in general) are not robots without foresight. Contrary to the NFL, the NBA video game license is not exclusive. To me, even if Madden football creators really did devise an intentional plan to keep their game sucking from year to year, they'd at least have the comfort of knowing they are the only people who can make an NFL game.

From NBA2K's standpoint, I'd like to think it's fully understood that just because NBA Live was down last year (and the year before, and the year before that) it's still possible for a rival game to step in and leave their mark, cutting in to 2K's sales. And again, I know companies make questionable decisions all the time, but I do think it's more than possible for 2K to recognize the error of Madden's ways and to take the proper steps in avoiding such a stagnant approach. Further, I think good workers are typically good workers. If a programmer is someone committed to their craft, I don't think they're going to need competition to push themselves to concentrate harder on their creation.

I think one of the bigger benefits of competition is not the increased will of perfection from each gaming company, but innovation. More basketball games means more ideas thrown into the ring, which means more opportunity for other games to take those ideas, tweak them, and turn them into their own. Sometimes it ends up being a train wreck, as NBA 2K4 (after the admirable 2K3 simulation sequel to 2K2) attempted to copy NBA Live's "freestyle arcade" approach and failed miserably. On the flip side, 2K's likely been influenced by Live's right-stick dribbling and signature gathers. Then, in the recent years, Live was likely influenced by 2K to attempt to claw their way to being a true simulation themselves (and subsequently ended up in no-man's land).

So, I guess my point is, competition isn't always to the benefit of both games. It's possible for 2K to thrive and continue to grow and innovate without Live. I expect 2K13 to be quite telling. As I've said in a couple of different threads, it was revealed early in 2K12's release that 2K was in the process of re-writing all their online code, code that dated back to the Dreamcast age (a move, ironically enough, that may have been spurred by the lack of a competitor last year, thus allowing for some real under-the-hood treatment). With me knowing nothing about how coding works for online gaming, it sounds as if it was a giant undertaking that wasn't able to be finished in one sports game development cycle. As such, contrary to what many gamers believe, I actually feel as though 2K13 has a good chance of providing an online experience better than any they've been able to provide in the past, assuming two years may have in fact been enough time to straighten all online aspects out and perhaps re-introduce the modes they removed to allow for the initial online re-structuring (which bugged out even with a skeleton list of online features). Of course, I'm only going off the small amount I've been able to read. I will say though, the fact their 2KShare YouTube uploads have begun working quickly and seamlessly in 2K12 seems to be a good sign.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-07-2012 at 10:16 AM.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease ThyGreatOne's Avatar

via http://www.pastapadre.com I read that it appears EA might go the direction of "digital only" download, if NBA Live 13 is even released at all. I personally like 2K's series better, but the online leaves very much to be desired! I got a group of three (online) and very rarely can we all get in and play the game together! But on NBA Live 10 we used to have no issues other then people doing irritating things such as repeatedly pausing the game, joining/quitting as the game started, and a few other random annoying nuisances!
    Last edited by ThyGreatOne; 08-09-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThyGreatOne
    via http://www.pastapadre.com I read that it appears EA might go the direction of "digital only" download, if NBA Live 13 is even released at all. I personally like 2K's series better, but the online leaves very much to be desired! I got a group of three (online) and very rarely can we all get in and play the game together! But on NBA Live 10 we used to have no issues other then people doing irritating things such as repeatedly pausing the game, joining/quitting as the game started, and a few other random annoying nuisances!
    its probably because they are rushing to finish the game and wont be able to make enough copies and ship them globally in time for Oct 2nd.

instead they pretend like they are "ahead of the curve"

this game is going to be a bust i can feel it, but i will still probably get it because I've always been a Live fan.