Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 10-24-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Default What are these guys' chances of making NBA?

Just a few college big men who seem to not really be on the radar for the NBA. I don't get a lot of NCAA ball on TV, so I haven't really seen much of these guys.

It seems to me, though, that a lot of NBA teams have garbage for big men, so some of these guys would be valuable. If you could explain why these guys aren't considered serious NBA prospects, or correct me by telling me they ARE, it would be appreciated.

Seriously, why no NBA for some of these guys?

Ahmad Nivins (St. Joseph's): 6'9, 235

Shaun Pruitt (Illinois): 6'10, 245

Derrick Caracter (Louisville): 6'9, 265

Gyno Pomare (San Diego): 6'8, 240

Joseph Jones (Texas A&M): 6'9, 255

Shawn Taggart (Memphis): 6'10, 238

I understand why most of guys aren't top prospects, but you would think they would be on the radar simply because big men are always scarce.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: What are these guys' chances of making NBA?

Quote:
Ahmad Nivins (St. Joseph's): 6'9, 235
The guy I know most about on the list. Solid offensively. Has a nice touch from mid range and does most of his work in the post. He's not too athletic of a guy. Doesn't attack the rim as he should. Usually tries to lay it in instead of slamming it home. Rebounding needs to improve. 5.4 rpg in 33mpg just doesn't cut it for a power forward.

Quote:
Shaun Pruitt (Illinois): 6'10, 245
Don't know enough about the guy. There's a ton of Illini fans in the college basketball forum that could tell you about him though.

Quote:
Derrick Caracter (Louisville): 6'9, 265
Has some "caracter" issues. The last I heard about him was in September possibly transferring to Southern Miss. Haven't heard anything since then, but if so then he'd have to sit out a year. He's a big boy. Needs to get in better shape.

Quote:
Gyno Pomare (San Diego): 6'8, 240
Only game I've seen him play was vs. UConn in the tourney (one of the best games) and he was a stud offensively. But that's all I've seen.

Quote:
Joseph Jones (Texas A&M): 6'9, 255
Has pretty much gone backwards his 3 years at A&M. Not sure what happened.

Quote:
Shawn Taggart (Memphis): 6'10, 238
Will have a great year at Memphis with more minutes opening up.

The only ones I see with an NBA future: Taggart and Caracter. Caracter has to get his head on straight first though.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
The guy I know most about on the list. Solid offensively. Has a nice touch from mid range and does most of his work in the post. He's not too athletic of a guy. Doesn't attack the rim as he should. Usually tries to lay it in instead of slamming it home. Rebounding needs to improve. 5.4 rpg in 33mpg just doesn't cut it for a power forward.

Don't know enough about the guy. There's a ton of Illini fans in the college basketball forum that could tell you about him though.

Has some "caracter" issues. The last I heard about him was in September possibly transferring to Southern Miss. Haven't heard anything since then, but if so then he'd have to sit out a year. He's a big boy. Needs to get in better shape.

Only game I've seen him play was vs. UConn in the tourney (one of the best games) and he was a stud offensively. But that's all I've seen.

Has pretty much gone backwards his 3 years at A&M. Not sure what happened.

Will have a great year at Memphis with more minutes opening up.

The only ones I see with an NBA future: Taggart and Caracter. Caracter has to get his head on straight first though.
Thanks man. That is wierd that Joseph Jones' stats have gone down every year at Texas A&M. Yet I think he is projected to get drafted by some sites.

I never really figured Gyno Pomare would be a serious prospect because he isn't very athletic, but he is strong and able to hit mid-range jumpers (in clutch situations a we saw against UConn).
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

Not a big man but Micah Downs from Gonzaga is definitely a guy that isn't on a ton of peoples radars but will probably find his way to the NBA. Incredibly athletic and talented, has just had some injury problems the last little while. He's a senior at Gonzaga.

Sorry if he's already been mentioned a bunch in the forum, I rarely look in here.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #5
cormacraig
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Has some "caracter" issues.

God, if he makes it to the NBA, this "caracter" issues joke is gonna get bounced around so often...
cormacraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormacraig
God, if he makes it to the NBA, this "caracter" issues joke is gonna get bounced around so often...
I doubt he gets there. He has the talent, everything else is going to work against him. One of those guys that gets a training camp invite every year but never makes the team.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
HAzE024
KRYPTONATE!

I've seen every one of Ahmad Nivin's home games last year (i go to St. Joe's) and I have to say he hasn't been that impressive. He is supposed to be our best player, but last year he played somewhat soft. I think his problem is that our system is a primarily perimeter game and he doesn't get the ball much.

Pat Calathes is a guy who should have been drafted.
HAzE024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAzE024
I've seen every one of Ahmad Nivin's home games last year (i go to St. Joe's) and I have to say he hasn't been that impressive. He is supposed to be our best player, but last year he played somewhat soft. I think his problem is that our system is a primarily perimeter game and he doesn't get the ball much.

Pat Calathes is a guy who should have been drafted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n778PlLJync
Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
out|hoops|side
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMosɘs
Not a big man but Micah Downs from Gonzaga is definitely a guy that isn't on a ton of peoples radars but will probably find his way to the NBA. Incredibly athletic and talented, has just had some injury problems the last little while. He's a senior at Gonzaga.

Sorry if he's already been mentioned a bunch in the forum, I rarely look in here.

Chep, you is right.
Micah Downs, as I've seen every year at Gonzaga's summer camps, is a stud. There is no exception this year, he is starting for the Zags and he is going to be/is a go to guy this year, he will make the NBA.
Mark my words.
out|hoops|side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
cormacraig
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
I doubt he gets there. He has the talent, everything else is going to work against him. One of those guys that gets a training camp invite every year but never makes the team.

What's gonna work again him?

Except his, heh, caracter. *drumroll, cymbal*
cormacraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

I think Posterize pretty much summed up those guys pretty well, but I would like to add a bit about the guys I know about.

Pruitt had NBA potential, and I think still could, but he just hasn't taken the next step. Other guys could tell his story better than I could, but he just doesn't seem to have NBA talent. I see a guy who can rebound, make some shots, and not be a big hole on defense.

Caracter to me is the perfect example of why the 19 year old limit is a good thing. He fell off late in his HS career, but had he had a better senior year he could be been a wasted lottery pick. This guy needs to get his head on straight and hopefully he has been humbled and can transfer and maybe either end up in the NBA or with a college degree. As far as NBA potenial, he could be a good backup big man or even a low level starter, but teams are looking for "quality people" more than ever right now.

I have never liked Jones. He is big and can do some things inside, but he just never struck me as anything more than an average college big man. I could maybe see a few teams giving him a shot in training camp and stuff, and he may stick somewhere if he is a good locker room/practice guy.

I am interested to see what Taggart does this year. I think he would do well on a running team like last years Memphis team, but I really don't know how much skill he has. I am rooting for him, but I just don't know if he does anything on an NBA level. I think he doubles his stats this year and gets about 11 and 8, but is that enough to get drafted? And speaking of Memphis, I like Dozier as well. Like Taggart, though, I don't know if he is an NBA caliber player. I like Niles, but he won't be another Glen Davis. I am also interested to see their 6-11 freshman forward from Chicago can do anything.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: