Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: "Pentagon Warns of IMMEDIATE National Security Threats from Climate Change"

Does primetime still believe climate change is only global warming?

Default Re: "Pentagon Warns of IMMEDIATE National Security Threats from Climate Change"

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    PT believes the first 5 things that comes up in his Google search. No more, no less.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    OP talking about how hot things are getting...I said it's been colder as of late here

exercise profits littl MadeFromDust's Avatar

The Pentagon? You're talking about the Pentagon? lmao

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    OP talking about how hot things are getting...I said it's been colder as of late here
    that's fair. i brought up my own anecdotal experience and you're welcome to do the same. though for the record, as i noted in the op, nasa did record this past year as its hottest on record and this past september as its hottest month on record. that's in the last 160 odd years iirc.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by MadeFromDust
    The Pentagon? You're talking about the Pentagon? lmao
    i don't think you understand why the perspective i'm espousing would be particularly interested in climate change alarmism coming out of the pentagon. the source is crucial here but unlikely for the reasons you think.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    that's fair. i brought up my own anecdotal experience and you're welcome to do the same. though for the record, as i noted in the op, nasa did record this past year as its hottest on record and this past september as its hottest month on record. that's in the last 160 odd years iirc.
    Yes I made sure to say that I understand this unusually cold summer was just the US. Russia has been the opposite.

rank sentamentalist

Yes I made sure to say that I understand this unusually cold summer was just the US. Russia has been the opposite.
    Uh... hottest summer in a very long time in California.

Worldwide, hottest month ever.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

It's cold in California. Said no Juan ever.

NBA All-star

but people are going to think we are crazy for starting to build an ark.

what to do?!?!?!?

National High School Star

Let's be cereal - this is not the responsibility of normal people. What are we going to do - stop driving to work in our cars? Stop washing clothes? Yeah, there are small tiny things we can do. However, that ish is pointless. It's working hard not smart. Something for the moral police to talk about.

In the next 20 years the constant focus on all this stuff IS making almost everything more economical. In 20 years none of these gas guzzling cars we have now will be on the road. They'll be significantly cleaner running cars. We may even have energy producing roads put in some high traffic density areas. We may have self powering building (word to Stark Tower).

More importantly, I think we will continue to develop technologies to combat this (if there is even an it). The part that is completely bogus about all of this is that we as humans (scientists) know soooooooo little about the ocean still. The ocean is basically what controls everything. This climate change stuff is all bogus because we don't have the requisite knowledge of the ocean and deep ocean we need to accurately predict anything. We know less about it than the Titanic captain did about icebergs.

rank sentamentalist

What are we going to do - stop driving to work in our cars?
    if enough people had of spent enough of their energy pushing their elected officials for inner city subway systems and high speed rail around the country instead of the interstate highway system, not only would we already have a leg up on climate change right now but we also probably would have saved a ton of money/resources/efficiencies.

of course it makes little sense to use the hindsight of pending environmental catastrophe to blame generations past. that doesn't mean what i wrote above is untrue however.

unfortunately electric cars appear to be closer to our solution to the energy/climate dual crises than public transportation is. which is a damn shame.

all of the above is also a keen illustration of the occasional (bordering on frequent) inadequacy of the market which by its very nature vetoes any idea that requires voluntary collective action... not like as a rationally self interested individual consumer i can just walk into walmart and buy a subway system. you see what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    if enough people had of spent enough of their energy pushing their elected officials for inner city subway systems and high speed rail around the country instead of the interstate highway system, not only would we already have a leg up on climate change right now but we also probably would have saved a ton of money/resources/efficiencies.

of course it makes little sense to use the hindsight of pending environmental catastrophe to blame generations past. that doesn't mean what i wrote above is untrue however.

unfortunately electric cars appear to be closer to our solution to the energy/climate dual crises than public transportation is. which is a damn shame.

all of the above is also a keen illustration of the occasional (bordering on frequent) inadequacy of the market which by its very nature vetoes any idea that requires voluntary collective action... not like as a rationally self interested individual consumer i can just walk into walmart and buy a subway system. you see what i mean.
    Electric cars cause just as much damage as gasoline... Unless that electricity came from solar/wind.

It's the coal burning smoke stacks feeding us our electricity that make the largest footprint.

That and from what I understand - cows. So we all need to stop eating beef and convert to solar panels

Everyone overly focused on our cars...

rank sentamentalist

Electric cars cause just as much damage as gasoline... Unless that electricity came from solar/wind.

It's the coal burning smoke stacks feeding us our electricity that make the largest footprint.

That and from what I understand - cows. So we all need to stop eating beef and convert to solar panels

Everyone overly focused on our cars...
    according to the IPCC, as of 2004, transport (broadly defined) accounted for about 20% of all GHG emissions. that proportion has surely risen in the past 10 years. based on those numbers, given we are talking about a full fifth, i really don't think you CAN overly focus on vehicles. they are an extremely significant factor.

according to the Environmental Protection Agency, transportation as of 2012 accounted for 28% of GHG emissions, second only to electricity at 32%. industry (20%), agriculture (10%), and commercial/residential (infrastructure i presume) complete the pie.

here's the graph if you're interested

you are right that electric cars have their own setbacks which we must work and innovate and strive to set right. you are right that more of our electricity comes from coal than any other source (though the proportion is still below 50%, thus not "most of our electricity". at the moment there are two coal power stations in my province that people are calling to be shut down... but that becomes trickier when during election season the only thing on anybody's mind is their power bill which has shot through the roof in recent years (again speaking strictly of my province).