Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Golden State Warriors Forum

Golden State Warriors Forum Golden State Warriors message board - warriors fan forum

Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

BBallGuru08 has an OK reputation so far
Default Wasted Lottery Picks

Since Mullin has taken the throne, their draft choices have been horrible to say the least. Currently, none has amounted to much and considering the majority of these picks were in the lottery tells you how much of an evaluator of talent this club is. What could of been...

2003 - 11th Pick : Mickael Pietrus

Not only was he a project, but he never got sufficient enough chances to really prove he's worth of an 11th overall pick. At 26 years old, has a chance in Orlando to prove something.

Better Choices: David West (18), Boris Diaw (21), Josh Howard (29)

2004 - 11th Pick : Andris Biedrins

Although I like AB, he hasn't turned into a top 10 center yet and after 3 years in the league, is still relatively raw. AB will never be an offensive juggernaut. What he has is good hands and is a decent rebounder. Its not a bad pick, but you have to consider a few players that where taken after him.

Better Choices: Al Jefferson (15) and Josh Smith (17)

2005 - 9th Pick : Ike Diogu

Ike was projected as a late first round pick according to nearly all the mock drafts around the net so it was quite shocking when David Stern called his name at 9. Had a decent rookie year with flashes of what he can be like, but he turned out to be a deal sweetner so they could get rid of Dunleavy and Murphy. Still hasn't done much in the NBA yet.

Better Choices: Andrew Bynum (10), Danny Granger (17), Jarrett Jack (22), Jason Maxiell (26), David Lee (30)

2006 - 9th Pick : Patrick O'Bryant

When you pick a 7 footer out of Bradley, chances are that you're desparate or you'd need enough patience to let this kid develop. Being sent down to the D-League numerous times doesn't help your confidence. I thought he did rather well in the limited minutes he played, but I guess not good enough to get at least 5-10 minutes a game for a team that lacked depth at the center position.

Better Choices: Hilton Armstrong (12), Ronnie Brewer (14), Rodney Carney (16), Josh Boone (23), Kyle Lowry (24), Jordan Farmar (26)

So for anyone who is wondering why the Warriors have been one of the worst teams in the league for the past 14 years, then you know why. Their lack of keeping or developing young talent. Webber was the best Warrior in the past 15 years and he lasted a season and a half. Baron Davis walked off without a fight.

This team could of a had a nice core of Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, and Bynum in the front court with Ellis and Carney in the back court. Oh wells...
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
meanmonster
I brick open layups

meanmonster has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Wasted Lottery Picks

Every team in the league can look back at their drafts and see what they missed in most instances. I bet Detroit wonders what life would have been like without drafting Darko, the teams passing on Brandon Roy not too long ago and then he turned out to be Rookie of the Year, etc. etc. lf I were in G.S.W's shoes, I wouldnt be disappointed in the draft picks, I'd be disappointed that when the get there they are buried somewhere in Oakland and don't get a chance to show what they got or develop.... i.e. pretty much all the players on your list and add Brandan Wright and Bellinelli.
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

BBallGuru08 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Wasted Lottery Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanmonster
Every team in the league can look back at their drafts and see what they missed in most instances. I bet Detroit wonders what life would have been like without drafting Darko, the teams passing on Brandon Roy not too long ago and then he turned out to be Rookie of the Year, etc. etc. lf I were in G.S.W's shoes, I wouldnt be disappointed in the draft picks, I'd be disappointed that when the get there they are buried somewhere in Oakland and don't get a chance to show what they got or develop.... i.e. pretty much all the players on your list and add Brandan Wright and Bellinelli.

I agree with you that every team misses a draft pick here and there. It just seems to happen more often with the Warriors. We're talking about 4 lottery picks in a row that were misses. I would of settleed for 1 out of 4 at 25%. You can even go back to Adonal Foyle, Todd Fuller, Joe Smith, and Mike Dunleavy drafts. 3 out of 12 (1995-2006) were good picks (Richardson, Biedrins and Vince Carter who was traded for Jamison). Two were given away for cheaper solutions (Dunleavy and Ellis).
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: