Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: First two weeks of 2011-12 NBA regular season OFFICIALLY CANCELED

As fans we are upset....

As NBA players, I think they see this being more about life and Corp America. Hearing interviews and seeing tweets, alot of these guys are going back to school, some of em doing legit jobs.

Owners hold the power of course, but lets not act like half of the nBA players are going to be broke for a season.....

Theres always going to be the 10-15% who spend wildly,or do drug deals,record studios...but I think Billy Hunter and Fisher prepared these guy before the season.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore dreaming121's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    I hope there's as much boycotting of the NBA as possible over the next few years. Show them that the fans won't just come crawling back when they pull this crap.
    The owners win in this scenario. In the next CBA they could even LOWER the Salaries of players in pretext that the NBA isn't as popular and not generating much income.

As time goes by the popularity of NBA becomes decent again... The money players will get is substantially low compared to how much the owners will get.

The players must face that time is not on their side.

Update info about what happened tonight, with quotes from David Stern, Derek Fisher and more:

Reload http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8422

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

I"m gutted, I mean I felt it coming, but still. After how good last season was, this makes it even more disappointing...
    Last edited by SevereUpInHere; 10-10-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Both sides just pissed away all the good will and fan support they've generated this past season. How the hell do you have 3 lockouts in 12 years?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Both sides just pissed away all the good will and fan support they've generated this past season. How the hell do you have 3 lockouts in 12 years?
    I don't think they pissed it all away. I think as long as the league starts by Thanksgiving not much fan interest will be lost. Anything longer than that would probably hurt a lot.

I'm torn on this. I assume these people aren't stupid...they have to realize that the BRI itself will be much less with a long work stoppage. So the splits become even less important as "the pie" they are splitting becomes smaller.

Players have now lost 160 million in salary they will never get back. There is absolutely no way the owners will soften their stance going forward so I'm just confused as to the point really.

It leads me to believe that the players are operating out of a sense of "ego"...and that we aren't even remotely being told the whole story.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

So it sounds like the BRI split thing was way overblown and its all the system issues. That actually makes sense and unfortunately is terrible news for a potential season.

I understand why the players would hold out for a better deal and I understand why owners want system changes.

Not a good sign. I guess the owners really are content with missing extended time and that a lot of their losses they claimed aren't a manipulation of the numbers.

Like I said before, you have to assume these people are not stupid. Therefore owners and players are both well aware of the serious damage an extended work stoppage would cause. So if the owners really are prepared to miss the season...that means a lot of their concerns are real.

For the players, kind of the same thing. If they don't give in, it means that they are truly and fundamentally against any deal the owners have offered.

I know the owners position makes business sense given their negotiating leverage and power. I'm still not sure about the players. As always we need more information, but I still lean towards the players acting from an "ego" place and not a business place.

Banned

They got started around 2:15 or 2:30 p.m. ET or so and didn’t finish until around 9:45 p.m. at night

someone just pls tell me what they were doing for so long.

"union was at 53 and we were at 47"

lulz.
    Last edited by RazorBaLade; 10-11-2011 at 01:33 AM.

A lockout during a global recession will not sit well with fans. the NBA really needs to think about the damage they are doing to their brand.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Collectively, with no season, does the owner not lose anything? Since they were operating at a loss before anyway. So surely they can hold out for as long as it takes?

Only a few teams are really losing money. And most of those teams are small market teams that gave terrible contracts.

And a lockout hurts the teams more than it hurts the players. For every fan a team loses over this lockout, the value of that franchise declines.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    A lockout during a global recession will not sit well with fans. the NBA really needs to think about the damage they are doing to their brand.
    When Jordan retired in '98 and they had a lockout for half a season the following season, it took them ten years(2008 Finals) to clean their image and revive their popularity, and after coming off their best season since probably 1998, it's crazy that they're doing this to their brand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Only a few teams are really losing money. And most of those teams are small market teams that gave terrible contracts.

And a lockout hurts the teams more than it hurts the players. For every fan a team loses over this lockout, the value of that franchise declines.
    Definitely not true. More teams are losing money than are making money.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    Definitely not true. More teams are losing money than are making money.
    You've seen the books? You are in a very select group if you have.

Local High School Star DirtySanchez's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    When Jordan retired in '98 and they had a lockout for half a season the following season, it took them ten years(2008 Finals) to clean their image and revive their popularity, and after coming off their best season since probably 1998, it's crazy that they're doing this to their brand.
    Exactly they are hurting the brand. This just sucks....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    You've seen the books? You are in a very select group if you have.
    ...and what band of roaming clairvoyant gypsies is advising you that anything the league has told you is anything but truthful? I get the whole 'remain skeptical' vibe but there is no way an organization with this many employees manages to falsify documentation concerning revenue without word leaking out in some capacity. Not only that but they stand to lose FAR too much if such a scandal were to leak. For what..? A few extra hundred million a season? The owners aren't nickel and diming scammers. That's pocket change to some of these ownership groups.

There is no logical reason to try and discredit the league at this point, particularly since they've been shown to give much more negotiation-wise than the players at this juncture. If you want to doubt the claims that more teams are losing money, go wild.