Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default So can we agree that the MAVS should have re signed Tyson Chandler

They obviously were delusional in thinking they were going to bring in Howard or Williams.

Dirk can still go, that much is obvious, they have a turrible starting center and are still in playoff contention ( will be bounced out of contention by Memphis IMO)

I think it was smart to not re sign JT, or JJ, they both were getting old and are smaller players which tend to lose value quickly as they age. But damn, I can't help but feel like they really missed an opportunity to build a dangerous playoff team around Dirk & Tyson.

Tyson was the perfect compliment to Dirk and as we've seen before Dirk & the Mavs historically struggle in the playoffs without a defensive stopper. Dirk and Tyson are the perfect fit, both can still go.

So what do you guys think, should Dallas have kept Tyson?

NBA Legend

Default Re: So can we agree that the MAVS should have re signed Tyson Chandler

In hindsight, yes.

I can respect the fact that they were forward-looking, and wanted to give themselves the flexbility to go after the leagues most coveted free agents at the time (Paul, Howard, Williams etc. )

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Audio One's Avatar

I thought Dirk won it all by himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    In hindsight, yes.

I can respect the fact that they were forward-looking, and wanted to give themselves the flexbility to go after the leagues most coveted free agents at the time (Paul, Howard, Williams etc. )

I understand this point, but what at the time made them think these guys might actually be interested? Because as far as I remember Howard had absolutely no interest in the MAVS and his choice of teams never really included them.

they took a huge shot in the dark in hopes of having cap space, Tyson & Dirk were the 2 most important players on a championship team that had just beat the dream team Heatles, I thought it was dumb to let him walk then and I still think they should have resigned him.

Dirk & Tyson was a somewhat proven championship core, why break it up with no real back up plan for when they missed on all the big name FA

Quote Originally Posted by Audio One
    please don't let this guy bait any of you.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Audio One

Nah son.

Don't you know the formula that dummies use to figure out how to divide credit for every team that has a won a championship ever?

Batman
    Robin
    Role players.

Even if logic and intelligent analysis suggests that wasn't actually how it went down, this is how people like OP need to see things, becuase it's very simple. It's sort of like how you can teach a monkey basic addition, but you can't teach him calculus because their brains aren't that developed.

You can't have a discussion about anything intricate on a public board, because the dummies out there need simple formulas, sort of like political slogans.

Batman
    Robin
    Role players.

The guy who takes the most shots is always batman. Even if he doesn't lead the team in PER, Winshares, etc. and doesn't play defense and chokes all his selfish hero shots. He gets to be batman because shooting looks cool so that's most important.

Batman
    Robin
    Role players.

Every team ever.

Dunking on everybody in the park KrizMiz's Avatar

Hell yeah, there is no doubt!

they wanted dwight but failed!

The guy who takes the most shots is always batman. Even if he doesn't lead the team in PER, Winshares, etc. and doesn't play defense and chokes all his selfish hero shots. He gets to be batman because shooting looks cool so that's most important.
    Lebron?

As a Mavs fan.. I agree that we should have signed him. He was the perfect compliment for Dirk, and since we let him go, our biggest need is a defensive minded center who can rebound. Even tho he is overpaid... If we resigned him, I think we win that series vs OKC, and are way more competitive than what we are now

Although.. getting Deron was a very real possibilty, and I think he would have signed with us if Cuban showed up at the meeting. (I dont even think a max contract was offered).. they were only delusional about getting Dwight.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Not for $60 f*ckin million

Dirk made him the most overrated player of all time

Chandler has played with CP3, Dirk, and Melo

1 of those 3 has been a champion...the other two are NBA career LOSERS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
    As a Mavs fan.. I agree that we should have signed him. He was the perfect compliment for Dirk, and since we let him go, our biggest need is a defensive minded center who can rebound. Even tho he is overpaid... If we resigned him, I think we win that series vs OKC, and are way more competitive than what we are now

Although.. getting Deron was a very real possibilty, and I think he would have signed with us if Cuban showed up at the meeting. (I dont even think a max contract was offered).. they were only delusional about getting Dwight.
    wasn't there a big thing about deron saying he wanted to go play in dallas and buying a house there or something? I guess they thought if they had deron dwight would follow which is probably a pretty likely scenario as dwight really wanted to play with deron

Quote Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41

Cuban missed a meeting?

I agree that Chandler is overpaid, but in the context of what he brought to the Mavs, and how he was a huge part in them winning a championship i'm genuinly surprised Cuban wasn't willing to shell out the dough

Cuban spent 10+ years throwing $$$$$ at players to put around Dirk in hopes of winning a championship, and when they finally accomplish this goal, he just..stops trying

It kind of pissed me off as a basketball fan, felt like he conceded to being mediocre after winning a chip

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Cuban missed a meeting?

I agree that Chandler is overpaid, but in the context of what he brought to the Mavs, and how he was a huge part in them winning a championship i'm genuinly surprised Cuban wasn't willing to shell out the dough

Cuban spent 10+ years throwing $$$$$ at players to put around Dirk in hopes of winning a championship, and when they finally accomplish this goal, he just..stops trying

It kind of pissed me off as a basketball fan, felt like he conceded to being mediocre after winning a chip
    Not really what happened, he was willing to spend money but noone came to take his money. They thought they needed to improve so cleaned house and had a big obvious sign to free agents that they would pay them and make another run, they took a chance though that free agents would want to come and so far it hasn't panned out at all.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

Nah, Mavs weren't going to win a championship again with him anyway. Ok, so you go one round further the past couple years. Big whoop.

Their mistake is thinking they can still compete right now. Should be blowing this shit up, tho, I know Cuban thought he could get better FA for one last hurrah with Dirk. oops.

Chandler was perfect for Dirk because he covered all the holes in Dirk's game.