Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #16
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation
Default Re: How about .5 assists on passes to a foul shooter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I've thought of this before. If he makes both free throws then it's an assist.

that's what i thought about... maybe 2 FTs for an assist, so a player only has to make 2 if he gets fouled on a trey...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

sounds dumb. some guys might average 5 assists a game, all from passes that lead to zero field goals. skews the outlook on everything.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #18
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

I'll have to check the scorebook guidelines but players might already get credit for free-throws.

An assist is credited for a pass that leads to points so how the points are scored (free throws or field goals) are not important.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #19
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm pretty sure they don't already get it.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #20
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I'll have to check the scorebook guidelines but players might already get credit for free-throws.

An assist is credited for a pass that leads to points so how the points are scored (free throws or field goals) are not important.

you're getting confused with fast break points.

if a foul stops the fast break, the free throws are counted toward the team's fast break totals
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #21
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
you're getting confused with fast break points.

if a foul stops the fast break, the free throws are counted toward the team's fast break totals
No I'm talking about assists. Not sure if the NBA counts their assists differently than NCAA/FIBA.

With the NCAA (I believe FIBA also) an assist is any pass that was made with the intention of scoring points. It DOES NOT have to be the final pass nor do the points have to come from a field goal.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #22
jlawdrummer
Serious playground baller

jlawdrummer has an OK reputation so far

What about a "quality pass" type of stat? I'm not sure if I like the idea, but what some of you are describing made me think of that. Kind of like a "quality start" that a starting pitcher in baseball can get, even if his team doesn't win he had a "quality start" (at least 6 innings while allowing 3 runs or less). It is a stat that is kept track of but isn't something that is ever going to be counted in a fantasy league or anything. Just a thought, quality pass - a pass that either sets up an assist or that leads to a player getting fouled and scoring points on FT? something like that.
jlawdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #23
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation

If you foul somebody in the act of shooting deep inside the paint, instead of shootign 15 ft. free throws, you should get to shoot free throws from a newly created 8 ft. line....all perimeter fouls still take 15 ft FT's...
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #24
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force
If you foul somebody in the act of shooting deep inside the paint, instead of shootign 15 ft. free throws, you should get to shoot free throws from a newly created 8 ft. line....all perimeter fouls still take 15 ft FT's...

and some players will still shoot 50% from the line
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:45 PM   #25
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far

Kinda related, I think they don't give block stats to shots that are blocked after a foul.

This kinda sucks cause if the shot goes in it counts, if it gets illegally blocked it counts, if it get blocked it can't count. They are easier to block, AK gets about 2-3 a game that don't go on the stat sheet, but they still add up.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #26
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I like it, but they should have done it from the beginning. Now, just keep it the way it is, it's fine.

It's no use for the stat whores, because it makes it that much harder to compare different seasons.

And the people who don't care about stats don't care.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: