Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: 2013 Wimbledon Thread

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    That's because the second best player by consensus doesn't have a FO title. Sampras never won on clay.
    Doesn't matter... he's #2 on GS's but Nadal will catch him... even if it's 2 more FO's he'll be above Sampras.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    If Rafa wins "as many as he wants" he would most def be the GOAT. If he finishes with 16 or 17 you would have a 50/50 split for Rafa/Roger most likely, if Rafa finishes with more it would be a high majority for Nadal.

Point blank, end of discussion. This loss is no different than losing in a semi....nobody cares who made semi's, only who wins the title.
    Not remotely true

Quote Originally Posted by The_Yearning
    I agree with your stance and the reason we share this view is because we both come from the basketball world where we look not just at the context, but the enveloping details between the lines as well when determining Top 10/GOAT status.

The majority of the tennis world (critics, big names, etc.) over 70% of them will only look at the career # of majors won and that will dictate who is the GOAT.

Also, what if Roger Federer never won the French open? Not to mention he won the French Open by avoiding Nadal, but nobody remembers that do they? And Roger would still be considered the goat without a FO title.
    You realize fed is arguably the third best clay court player ever right(I personally have him closer to 5th) but you can easily make that argument. Nadal was in the tourney and he lost. Still counts

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    You realize fed is arguably the third best clay court player ever right(I personally have him closer to 5th) but you can easily make that argument. Nadal was in the tourney and he lost. Still counts
    What the hell are you addressing in my post? End of the day, it's the # of slams that matters.

The last paragraph.

Also Id like to hear some non Americans opinions on the number of majors thing. I never remember that being considered as the goat criteria until Sampras started getting close. I mean does anyone consider Emerson the third best player? I just really don't think you can just say someone has x majors and therefore they are automatically they goat. You have to consider eras, surfaces and other things. I mean Borg didn't even play the Australian open most of his career(and he's second to fed on my all time list, though I never saw laver play)

Fed is the goat because he's the best grass court and had court player ever and a top 5 clay court player ever. He's great at everything. Nadal is the clay goat and a top 10 or so grass player and probably top 20 or so on hard courts

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Federer is not 3rd best clay courter. Rafa, Borg, Laver, and Lendl are easily ahead. Not even mentioning guys like Kuerten, or Bruguera.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Federer is not 3rd best clay courter. Rafa, Borg, Laver, and Lendl are easily ahead. Not even mentioning guys like Kuerten, or Bruguera.
    Rafa and Borg are the only people who are clearly ahead. If there was no nadal(and there wasn't for any of those other guys careers, fed would have 5 or 6 frenchs) To go along with quite a few clay masters
    Last edited by raiderfan19; 06-25-2013 at 04:15 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan19
    Rafa and Borg are the only people who are clearly ahead. If there was no nadal(and there wasn't for any of those other guys careers, fed would have 5 or 6 frenchs) To go along with quite a few clay masters

Laver and Lendl are ahead.

You can't use the "if not for", because you can go back and say that for anyone. If majors mattered when Laver played, he would destroy everyone in sheer #s.

Like I said I personally have fed 5th or so all time on clay but it's not that crazy to consider fed an all time great clay courter. He holds the record for most consecutive French open finals, semis and quarters

maria kirilenko is banging

Federer down 1-2. Come on man!

Not looking good for Fed. Stakhovsky is playing out of his mind right now.

What a bizarre tourney so far. Rafa, Sharapova, and Azarenka all out in the first two rounds... and it looks like Fed will join them.

Can't wait for Fed vs Nadal in the quarters.

damn federer lost

btw Eugenie Bouchard the girl that beat Ivanovic earlier today is probably the cutest girl i have ever seen in sports