Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #16
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////

Default Re: Shot clock to reset to 14 seconds after an offensive rebound

Not bad. I can see their reasoning behind it.

Although a piece of me appreciates the advantage that's gained when one pulls down an offensive board.

This shouldn't make too much a difference though.
E_Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:00 AM   #17
tpols
we already won

Tristan Thompson like **** these ******
tpols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:12 AM   #18
E_Stamkos
//////////////////////

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Tristan Thompson like **** these ******

I mean players like him will still be of great value. You still need players/bangers to haul down those boards.

The only difference is, the offensive team can't kick it out and hit the reset button. Less time to heed advice on the fly from your bench and obviously less time to just bleed the clock until your next shot. It sorta forces guys to play smarter under pressure, think on the fly by executing sound judgment and utilize their instincts (especially during the waning moments of a quarter or game). Guys like JR aren't gunna be in favor of this lol

Last edited by E_Stamkos : 09-22-2018 at 01:23 AM.
E_Stamkos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #19
Boki4MVP
Not airballing my layups anymore

Don’t like it.
Boki4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
RRR3
Youth is Wasted...

Silver is awful.

What a horrendous rule change

An offensive rebound is a NEW POSSESSION. Why would it not reset to 24? Yet another rule change to help Silver’s loverboys, golden state. He might as well wear a warriors jersey.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #21
BigShotBob
Dunking on everybody in the park

Not fond of the rule change. Forces teams to play faster than they might want to. Instead, most teams might want to give up on crashing the boards entirely and run back for transition defense.

A rule change I'd like to see is fouling someone on a fast break should be two-points and the ball regardless of where the foul occurred. So turn the clear-path foul rule into the standard.
BigShotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
scuzzy
from Shrimp to Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranku
Just what we needed, a rule that makes big men even less valuable!
By putting pressure on rebounding bigs to keep the ball in the paint/post and look to score instead of kicking it back out for gaurds to milk 15 sec?

This rule is legit and enforces performance
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
scuzzy
from Shrimp to Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShotBob
Not fond of the rule change. Forces teams to play faster than they might want to. Instead, most teams might want to give up on crashing the boards entirely and run back for transition defense.
whoa

whoa

whoa

forcing worlds top athletes in a pro sport to play at an increased speed than dey use to?

one that runs on a set time clock?

that fans/ticket holders generate millions to each year?

OH NOEZ

wuh bout muh ol skool 7'5 twigs dat gimp up n down who can't close out on dey 3's shootrs n stuff SMH dey shun be punishd for bein slowr
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #24
qrich
King Heno

About damn time
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #25
LAmbruh
5* General

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
In this soft league, you can pull it off whereas in the past, you couldn't. Why?

Say the bulls are up with 3 minutes left? Just keep bricking shots and Rodman will just get all the boards, and they just run the clock down.

Wow

Major MAJOR yikes

Should we tell him that this was actually possible the past 30-40 years?

Should we tell him this rule makes this feat harder in this scenario?

Nah
LAmbruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:35 PM   #26
iznogood
Made that high school varsity squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShotBob
This is very unlikely.

First of all, teams opt for a quick shot after an offensive rebound almost all of the time anyway, either a put back or a kick out 3. Very rarely do teams run set plays. At best they have a guy dribble for a couple of seconds and run a pick and roll. This is going to affect 1 or 2 plays per game. Teams will still crash the boards because layups and dunks are still the most efficient way to score.

I remember when the rule was first introduced in FIBA. There was some scepticism, but it was an instant success. I think if you ask coaches or players they'll tell you it was a good thing.

It also going to diminish the number of fouls at the end of the game because the defensive teams won't have to foul right away after an offensive rebound with less than 24 seconds on the game clock.
iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

I don't like the rule change. It gives us less quality basketball. The offense fights for an offensive rebound and they get rewarded by trying to get into their set within 14 seconds. Teams will get more shots up slightly, but they'll likely by bad, low quality shots.

Also it gives the defense and offense less time to get a small breather between shots. At least when you got the offensive rebound the offense could hold the ball for a few seconds while everyone got into their sets and catch a breath.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:53 PM   #28
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan ® 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by iznogood
This is very unlikely.

First of all, teams opt for a quick shot after an offensive rebound almost all of the time anyway, either a put back or a kick out 3. Very rarely do teams run set plays. At best they have a guy dribble for a couple of seconds and run a pick and roll. This is going to affect 1 or 2 plays per game. Teams will still crash the boards because layups and dunks are still the most efficient way to score.

I remember when the rule was first introduced in FIBA. There was some scepticism, but it was an instant success. I think if you ask coaches or players they'll tell you it was a good thing.

It also going to diminish the number of fouls at the end of the game because the defensive teams won't have to foul right away after an offensive rebound with less than 24 seconds on the game clock.
If it rarely happens, I don't understand why they need to change it.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #29
iznogood
Made that high school varsity squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meticode
If it rarely happens, I don't understand why they need to change it.
It prevents the team in the lead from stalling at the end of a close game.
iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #30
BigShotBob
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by iznogood
This is very unlikely.

I don't know much about FIBA but my point isn't that every team will make the adjustment that I suggested, just that some would have to. It is dependent on their offensive system and scheme.

14 seconds is not a long time to throw the ball back out and reset. Although coaches do make plays for these specific moments, I think it would increase the risk of them not happening.

I know the spirit of the rule was so that teams who got multiple offensive rebounds especially at the end of games would not be able to stall the game out which would in turn force the other team to foul and they wanted to stop the end of games from becoming a free-throw fest.

I'm curious to see how teams would adjust, but even the unintended side effect of the three-point shot creating longer rebounds pushed defenses to run in transition instead of trying to crash the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzy
whoa

whoa

whoa

forcing worlds top athletes in a pro sport to play at an increased speed than dey use to?

one that runs on a set time clock?

that fans/ticket holders generate millions to each year?

OH NOEZ

wuh bout muh ol skool 7'5 twigs dat gimp up n down who can't close out on dey 3's shootrs n stuff SMH dey shun be punishd for bein slowr

You have issues.
BigShotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: