Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #31
iznogood
Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: Shot clock to reset to 14 seconds after an offensive rebound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShotBob
I don't know much about FIBA but my point isn't that every team will make the adjustment that I suggested, just that some would have to. It is dependent on their offensive system and scheme.

14 seconds is not a long time to throw the ball back out and reset. Although coaches do make plays for these specific moments, I think it would increase the risk of them not happening.

I know the spirit of the rule was so that teams who got multiple offensive rebounds especially at the end of games would not be able to stall the game out which would in turn force the other team to foul and they wanted to stop the end of games from becoming a free-throw fest.

I'm curious to see how teams would adjust, but even the unintended side effect of the three-point shot creating longer rebounds pushed defenses to run in transition instead of trying to crash the boards.
Which teams do you expect to make adjustments? I don't even know if there are teams that regularly run set plays after an offensive rebound.

Also I'm not really aware of special plays teams would only run on resets. I'd expext they could've just runned any regular play they normally would since teams usually only have 16 around 16 seconds to run a play after they get the ball to the other half and they got a fresh 24 after a reset. So 14 or realistically 13 is not that much less compared to the 16 they have when they advance the ball normally. That's still plenty.

I could understand that long bounces are a reason that makes you decide to go conservative on the offensive rebounding but I don't think this rule change is going to make any team crash the glass less.
iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #32
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Finally, a proper rule change.

Nah that's bs. Like I said in another thread u get an oreb u get a new possession. It's not a foul. It's not something done to you, it's you retrieving the ball. Terrible change but I don't really **** w nba seriously any more. I watch it but usually turn it off fast once I see where the gm is goin.

Edit: @it prevents teams from stalling at the end of the game. It's like OK so they pass the ball in, miss a shot wait should we give them another try to inbound and shoot because by missing they gave the ball to the other team who can then stall the game?

-Smak

Last edited by ILLsmak : 09-23-2018 at 12:17 AM.
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:39 AM   #33
FreezingTsmoove
The Sheriff

So if a player jacks up a quick 3 with 20 left in the shot clock and his teammate gets the board the shot clock resets to 14?....... The game as we know it has changed forever. What a stupid rule. Why change the game so drastically for no reason.
FreezingTsmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:55 AM   #34
Sportal
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by egokiller
In this soft league, you can pull it off whereas in the past, you couldn't. Why?

Say the bulls are up with 3 minutes left? Just keep bricking shots and Rodman will just get all the boards, and they just run the clock down.

...? Are you alright?
Sportal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #35
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
So if a player jacks up a quick 3 with 20 left in the shot clock and his teammate gets the board the shot clock resets to 14?....... The game as we know it has changed forever. What a stupid rule. Why change the game so drastically for no reason.

To be fair I think it'd be like fouls. Would reset under 14 to 14 and stay the same otherwise I guess.

Didn't fouls used to reset to 24 sec too? That rule change made sense tho this one doesn't unless you want people to jack more threes

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #36
Manny98
Rookie of the Year

Quote:
In this soft league, you can pull it off whereas in the past, you couldn't. Why?

Say the bulls are up with 3 minutes left? Just keep bricking shots and Rodman will just get all the boards, and they just run the clock down.
Manny98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 PM   #37
baudkarma
I usually hit open layups

Quote:

Do you have any examples of this actually happening? Because I'm pretty sure that if the Bulls did try this, the other team would be happy to foul Rodman and send him to the line.
baudkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #38
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

I really would just like to get the tv timeouts down, even if the break is longer. Is it really too much to ask to see 6 minutes of uninterrupted basketball.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:53 PM   #39
DeRozan m8
RENT FREE

The rule is sick and works well in other leagues...

Anything to help stop dribble dribble slow bullshit, the game needs speeding up, its the worst flowing basketball in the world.
DeRozan m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #40
AintNoSunshine
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
My money’s on JR to be the first to do that

They won't be in a lot of close game tho
AintNoSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: