Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Is Leo DiCaprio the most underrated actor of all-time?

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Youre talking completely out of your ass....case in point, he's grown into a capable actor?? His most praised and natural roles were when he was a teen, Gilbert grapes, basketball diaries, titanic,etc...it's the new bad ass, serious actor persona that most people feel comes across as unnatural and forced

[QUOTE=andgar923]Titanic?

He had a great role in Gilbert Grapes, that was basically it. BBall Diaries

Never mind titanic, Gilbert grapes and diaries are two of his best roles, so you saying he grew into a capable actor but is still overrated makes no sense...

And not every actor necessarily gets better with age, my favorite Natalie portman role was in the Professional....guys like Deniro and Pacino had their best showings in their early years, etc....Deer Hunter, taxi Driver....I mean nothing came close to that
    Most Hollywood stars get worse with age, they gradually lose interest in challenging roles after epic performances like the ones you mentioned while Leo's situation is reverse. Scorsese saved his career in my opinion as it is mostly the case in the industry. Brilliant directors can get the performance they want from almost anybody that is why I believe all actors are to a great extend overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Most Hollywood stars get worse with age, they gradually lose interest in challenging roles after epic performances like the ones you mentioned while Leo's situation is reverse. Scorsese saved his career in my opinion as it is mostly the case in the industry. Brilliant directors can get the performance they want from almost anybody that is why I believe all actors are to a great extend overrated.
    I cringe when I see Leo try to pull that accent in blood diamond, or act like a tough guy in the Departed, or squinty eyes in Inception...just don't buy it....plus he gets completely overshadowed by day lewis, Nicholson, Hounsou...

Great movies though, he really knows how to pick his parts and he's easy on the eyes and is a big box office draw so directors have no problem using him

I cringe when I see Leo try to pull that accent in blood diamond, or act like a tough guy in the Departed, or squinty eyes in Inception...just don't buy it....plus he gets completely overshadowed by day lewis, Nicholson, Hounsou...

Great movies though, he really knows how to pick his parts and he's easy on the eyes and is a big box office draw so directors have no problem using him
    Leo is nowhere near the class of those guys but the first time I saw Gangs of New York I told myself that if Di Caprio has an ounce of intellect he will not let go of Scorsese. I think he can pull off roles like the con man in catch me if you can or the low life kid in Gangs.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I think someone said it before, but Leo is not convincing in most of his roles. He does however have stand out in Catch Me If You Can which I think is his best role to date.

Adbloock<3

One of my favorite actors and Blood Diamond and Departed is two of my favorite movies.

Reason for getting underrated is because he had that boyish look and did Titanic and Romeo & Juliet, but his latest movies has all been gold(gotta applaud Scorsese for this too).

It's funny how Scorsese locks in on a actor and uses him in every move, Scorsese did the same too Robert De Niro. Any other example of a director/actor bromance?

i thought his best role was the Aviator. He nailed that role. but i don't think you can say he is underrated unless you're the academy. He always gets his due in the media. He always gets his projects that he wants. That said, he usually makes movies i find really entertaining or thought provoking. I like his selection of projects.

He's still a very young actor. Theres gonna be lots of more great roles from him.

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    It's funny how Scorsese locks in on a actor and uses him in every move, Scorsese did the same too Robert De Niro. Any other example of a director/actor bromance?

Federico Fellini and Marcelo Mastroianni.

i think the thread so far just proves OP's point

Leo IMO is the Scottie Pippen of acting. He can do a little bit of everything and he's been a part of some BIG big things. Been directed/led by some of the greatest ever to bark orders. Sometimes has to live in the shadows of the bigger names, but still does a good enough job as the leading man. Underrated by a lot of people, but overrated by just as many. People just need to stop ranking him with the best, but at the same time admit that he's really, really good. In the end, just enjoy watching him do what he does.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Brad Pitt is easily better than Leo.

The only question is this:

would it have worked?

looking forward to seeing what Tarantino does with this MFer.
    Last edited by Riddler; 09-21-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    Daniel Day Lewis

There Will Be Blood

/thread

Now that dude might be the most overrated actor of all-time.

He "over acts".... if that makes sense.

Shutter Island is one of the best movies I have ever seen. But I would agree with the people saying that he is often associated with good projects and directors, which also says a lot about how respected he is in the industry.

Still, Christian Bale is hands down the best actor of the last 10-15 years. Could DiCaprio pull off Patrick Bateman or Batman as well as Bale? I'd have to say no. But I bet Bale could easily pull off Teddy Daniels or Cobb.