Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bob Cousy quote on Wilt Chamberlain

A quote from the "great" Bob Cousy regarding the first few years of Wilt's career. I thought it deserved it's own thread:

"Basketball is a team game. When it becomes a one-man operation, as it did after Chamberlain came to Philadelphia, it just doesn't work. You cannot expect nine other guys to submerge themselves and their abilities to one man. It particuarly doesn't work when the man everybody else is feeding isn't helping the others whenever and wherever he can....the argument can be made that Chamberlain only suffers from a poor supporting cast. If you have a man who makes better than 50 percent of his shots, the argument goes, why shouldn't you concentrate on getting the ball to him whenever possible? Carrying it to it's logical conclusion, I would have to ask why should you ever let any other player on the team shoot at all. No, statistics mean nothing in basketball."

Agree? Disagree? Should Wilt have taken less shots, or shot the ball even more? Discuss....
    Last edited by oolalaa; 08-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.

#HEATNATION

Default Re: Bob Cousy quote on Wilt Chamberlain

"OP is definitely a pha.ggot"

Lets all discuss this quote...

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    A quote from the "great" Bob Cousy regarding the first few years of Wilt's career. I thought it deserved it's own thread:

"Basketball is a team game. When it becomes a one-man operation, as it did after Chamberlain came to Philadelphia, it just doesn't work. You cannot expect nine other guys to submerge themselves and their abilities to one man. It particuarly doesn't work when the man everybody else is feeding isn't helping the others whenever and wherever he can....the argument can be made that Chamberlain only suffers from a poor supporting cast. If you have a man who makes better than 50 percent of his shots, the argument goes, why shouldn't you concentrate on getting the ball to him whenever possible? Carrying it to it's logical conclusion, I would have to ask why should you ever let any other player on the team shoot at all. No, statistics mean nothing in basketball."

Agree? Disagree? Should Wilt have taken less shots, or shot the ball even more? Was he concerned with winning, or his own personal glory? Discuss....
    Of course, since Chamberlain was just doing what his COACH's asked of him, how can Cousy blame Chamberlain?

And we'll never know how well Chamberlain would have done with Auerbach as his coach. We do KNOW that Red wanted him DESPERATELY...and never forgave Wilt for basically choosing Philly over Boston.

He was told to shoot that much..You cant blame a guy for doing what he's told...Theres an interview online of one of Wilts teamates in Wilts prime scoring days saying that was there objective...get wilt the ball and get the **** out the way lol...He said himself they wouldnt have won as many games as they did if he wasnt scoring 50 a night and so on...they NEEDED it, they weren't hurt from it...if you want I can try to find that video

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369 and Jlauber
    He did as he was told by his coaches
    Seriosuly? Damn, his coaches must have been awful.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

I agree that stats don't mean much in basketball, the eye test is far superior, but this just seems like a dig at Wilt.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    He was told to shoot that much..You cant blame a guy for doing what he's told...Theres an interview online of one of Wilts teamates in Wilts prime scoring days saying that was there objective...get wilt the ball and get the **** out the way lol...He said himself they wouldnt have won as many games as they did if he wasnt scoring 50 a night and so on...they NEEDED it, they weren't hurt from it...if you want I can try to find that video
    Good interview too. Wilt's TEAMMATES appreciated Chamberlain in those years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTTwY_QqZ7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG78M...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4tC1...feature=relmfu

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I agree that stats don't mean much in basketball, the eye test is far superior, but this just seems like a dig at Wilt.
    It's honestly not a dig, and I'm not sure why anyone would think so. I just thought it was a great quote, particuarly the last 2 sentences.

Edit: Or do you mean Cousy was having a dig at Wilt? I have a feeling u do. Sry

Dunking on everybody in the park Djahjaga's Avatar

It sounds like Cooz is criticizing the gameplan moreso than Wilt. Wilt did what his coaches asked him to do, which was shoot and score, and they lost. Clearly, that approach was wrong. Wilt can't be blamed for doing what was asked of him, but it's not like he was complaining that he got to shoot 50 times per game. He DID relish in his statistics and he DID want to get them night in and night out.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    It's honestly not a dig, and I'm not sure why anyone would think so. I just thought it was a great quote, particuarly the last 2 sentences.

Edit: Or do you mean Cousy was having a dig at Wilt? I have a feeling u do. Sry
    Yea I meant Cousy

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
    Seriosuly? Damn, his coaches must have been awful.
    Haha well to the coaches credit he didn't have the best teams during those years...So he was by 100 miles the best scorer on his team...In the whole damn league actualy lol
    A poster said recently that you cant blame Alen Iversons shooting % and amount of shots on him because he had to take so many shots because of his coach telling him too...Cuz he was the basically the only one of the team that could score.

He was told to take his fadeaway out of his skill set, give up a LOT of field goal attempts and pass more...Ended up leading the league in assists...Eventually (after that retard Butch Van Breda Kolff was fired) was asked to be the focal point of the offense again..Before he got injured was scoring around 32 points....After the injury, was told to play like Bill Russell...Look up Bill Russell's stats and then chamberlains stats the last few seasons...Its a clone except a way higher FG%...and I think its on video of Russell saying something along the lines of "Hes playing the same role I did, but even better" Not close to an exact quote but it was along those lines

From The Jordan Rules:

But the Pistons get their shots back at Jordan. They love to taunt Jordan during games about his selfish play, his baldness (that's a specialty of John Salley), and how he enjoys being a loser. Salley, a bad stand-up comic who has earned a stage because he is seven feet tall and looks like Arsenio Hall, is a particularly bitter antagonist.

"There's not one guy who sets the tone on our team," Salley liked to tell reporters during the 1990 playoffs. "That's what makes us a team. If one guy did everything, we wouldn't be a team. We'd be the Chicago Bulls."

And this, too, from Salley: "We don't care who scores the points as long as we win. It would be hard for Michael Jordan to play on this team because he's got to score all the points. I don't think he'd fit in here."

Banned

I dont think theres a right answer. I thought about this when kobe had shitty teammates, but there really is no right answer. You just need to get better teammates. You're ****ed if you just tell one guy to shoot over and over just because hes clearly the most deserving, but you're also ****ed if you let clearly lesser players shoot more than they should when you could be putting up pts on the board. Its just shitty all around

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    I dont think theres a right answer. I thought about this when kobe had shitty teammates, but there really is no right answer. You just need to get better teammates. You're ****ed if you just tell one guy to shoot over and over just because hes clearly the most deserving, but you're also ****ed if you let clearly lesser players shoot more than they should when you could be putting up pts on the board. Its just shitty all around
    Agree. It's a no-win situation. Wilt shouldn't be labelled 'selfish' for his shot jacking early in his career. He almost certainly wasn't going to beat Boston, either way. That said, he should have switched to the 'Russell role' a couple of years earlier. I'm convinced he chucked away a great chance at a ring in '66.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Wilt is the only center to ever lead the league in assists.